Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick #72: Tyrell Goulbourne, Forward, Kelowna (WHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a shame that the Flyers never groomed Goulbourne properly. The guy was a defensive demon in the WHL and was the leader of the Kelowna PK unit. The guy could play. Now, he could throw down with the best of them, but he was also a good solid player. He could have been an effective fourth line who can skate and check. I don't get why the Flyers were more focused on him being a fighter. He'll never be worth the pick he was selected at, but he could have been a contributor.

I think the Flyers are past the day when they load the 4th line with PK/checking demons with zero offensive skills. They could have just groomed Luby for that role.

The future for the 4th line is going to be talented two way players willing to do the dirty work while they wait for a shot to crack the top 9. No Gouls and no Gagners wanted.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I could still see him being a 13th forward

On the Phantoms maybe.

There was a small window for him to be an NHL player when he was drafted and the organization had little depth at forward. He got off to a decent start as a pro, faded down the stretch, was terrible to start this past season, got sent to the ECHL, came back and played OK by his standards but nothing to indicate he's an NHL player. He stopped fighting too (can't say I blame him, he was getting limited minutes as it was). Now the depth the Flyers have accumulated puts his chances of being a Flyer near zero.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
On the Phantoms maybe.

There was a small window for him to be an NHL player when he was drafted and the organization had little depth at forward. He got off to a decent start as a pro, faded down the stretch, was terrible to start this past season, got sent to the ECHL, came back and played OK by his standards but nothing to indicate he's an NHL player. He stopped fighting too (can't say I blame him, he was getting limited minutes as it was). Now the depth the Flyers have accumulated puts his chances of being a Flyer near zero.

Yeah, I was imagining the odd event that the Flyers ship out like 10 forwards over the next couple of years. There's a chance!

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Taken 3 picks ahead of Pavel Buchnevich, 5 before Jake Guentzel, 8 prior to Anthony Duclair. Other teams in the division targeted talent that was still available in that portion of the draft and the Flyers threw away their 3rd round pick on a 19-year-old coming off a 27-point WHL season.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Taken 3 picks ahead of Pavel Buchnevich, 5 before Jake Guentzel, 8 prior to Anthony Duclair. Other teams in the division targeted talent that was still available in that portion of the draft and the Flyers threw away their 3rd round pick on a 19-year-old coming off a 27-point WHL season.

The fact Bjorkstrand was the Flyers BPA going off the behind the scenes video (and by a looooooong way too - they had him rated as a 2nd rounder), yet they ignored that to get Goulbourne is what is most annoying.

We know they obviously really liked Bjorkstrands game.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Goulbourne pick is the worst of Holmgrens tenure. Pathetic decision. Pryor deserves blame too. WTF were they thinking? Who overroad their draft board for a Rinaldo clone? Had to be Homer.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The fact Bjorkstrand was the Flyers BPA going off the behind the scenes video (and by a looooooong way too - they had him rated as a 2nd rounder), yet they ignored that to get Goulbourne is what is most annoying.

We know they obviously really liked Bjorkstrands game.

Extra aggravating was their logic that Ghoul wouldn't be there with their next pick....... what and Bjorkstrand or any of the others they had rated in between would be? Masterful :laugh:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
They should call him up for games against the Penguins next year. That way Ryan Reaves has someone completely useless to punch in the face (besides Manning).

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The Goulbourne pick is the worst of Holmgrens tenure. Pathetic decision. Pryor deserves blame too. WTF were they thinking? Who overroad their draft board for a Rinaldo clone? Had to be Homer.
Tbf, if a third round pick is the worst pick of his tenure, that's a pretty good draft record.

The entire 2013 draft hasn't turned out to be a particularly successful draft for us though. Morin and Hagg may still be decent NHL players one day, but in retrospect who wouldn't draft Domi or Wennberg instead?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don't expect Goulbourne to get a qualifying offer next year from philly.

If or when the Flyers make a trade during the season or around the trade deadline Goulbourne could be a throw in on a deal, or be apart of a minor league one for one trade.

The Flyers have so many forward prospects coming in the next few years.
I don't see a spot for Goulbourne.
Players like Goulbourne have become obsolete in today's NHL.

I see Goulbourne as a career ECHLer nothing more.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tbf, if a third round pick is the worst pick of his tenure, that's a pretty good draft record.

As was already mentioned, Klotz at #66 was a way better pick than Goulbourne on the diarrhea spectrum of picks. Though yes, it was a 3rd too. But the best pick of Holmgren's entire tenure was also a 3rd rounder (Ghost). 3rd rounders are not so worthless.

Really besides a couple hard to miss top 10 picks, the Homer tenure was mostly a slop fest on the drafting end, though it did a bit better towards the end (even with the Ghoul pick). I'd call the Flyers draft record in that period decisively mediocre. Mostly because they chose mediocre players, partly because they traded picks like candy and rarely picked in the first 2 rounds. Those Homer era prospect polls posted the other day seemed like something pretty pretty pretty far from good. There was a reason our prospect pool was barren, and it wasn't because of a good draft record. Even the players they "hit" on who became NHLers or NHL capable prospects (at the moment), are basically a collection of mediocre or depth NHL players.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah the Holmgren draft years were by in large bad.

Flip side was that the team was a lot more succesful on the ice.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

This is the one that drives me out of my mind too. Why put months into a draft board and then light it on fire on a whim? I don't even care who they took with the pick.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This is the one that drives me out of my mind too. Why put months into a draft board and then light it on fire on a whim? I don't even care who they took with the pick.

exactly. it was a awful pick. if they wanted a guy like him they could of signed him or another guy like him post draft.
and using the logic, well guys drafted there arent likely to make it to the NHL anyway so why the hell not is stupid ****ing logic(it has been used btw)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wanted Bjork amped thought for sure we were going to take him. I figured they saw him lots when scouting Leier the year before that he would be on our radar.

Having watched Duclair in the Q, I did not want him.

Then when we picked Goule, I yelled " who the **** is that? "

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The entire 2013 draft hasn't turned out to be a particularly successful draft for us though. Morin and Hagg may still be decent NHL players one day, but in retrospect who wouldn't draft Domi or Wennberg instead?

Wennberg would have been great in retrospect, but Morin and Hagg were justifiable picks at their positions. Getting nothing but Madsen from the last four picks is more damning on Holmgren and the 2013 scouting staff, and surely was what had Hextall "banging on the table".

“We've got to have kids coming,” Hextall said. “We've got to have kids coming. It’s more than having draft picks. You've got to hit on them. We’ve done a great job on first-rounders for years, but there is room for a little bit of growth on the later rounds. We've got to get some kids coming in the later rounds.”

“It doesn’t mean we've got to hit them all,” Hextall said. “You've got to hit those late rounds once in [a while]. That is one of the things I’ve been banging on the table. Guys, you've got to hit on these late rounds. We have to.

“If you look at the history of the draft, the kids who don’t play are kids who are not hungry to play. It doesn’t always come in physical play … it’s the will to win and it comes in skill players.

“That’s been my stress to my scouts, whether it is pros or amateurs, the will to win is huge. The gap between best team in the league and worst team is not very big. A lot of times, it’s whoever wants to win and sacrifice and pay the price. That comes in skill players, not just your grinders and fourth line guys.”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That quote explains why you won't see Hextall trading for "figure skaters," he wants his offensive skill players to play both ways and do the dirty work. And why he likes junior players to spend a year or two in the AHL and start from the bottom.

And when you look at their draft picks, "work ethic," "high hockey IQ," "responsible defensively" seem to be repetitive comments. An accident?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad