Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick #72: Tyrell Goulbourne, Forward, Kelowna (WHL)

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
exactly. it was a awful pick. if they wanted a guy like him they could of signed him or another guy like him post draft.
and using the logic, well guys drafted there arent likely to make it to the NHL anyway so why the hell not is stupid ****ing logic(it has been used btw)

Didn't Holmgren state when asked about the pick that he was Rinaldo 2.0?

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
A shame. I was rooting for Goulbourne but it seems like he never developed into that NHL level 4th liner i thought he would.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Always pulled for him as an underdog who was drafted too high. There was a short window for him but he hasn't managed to elevate his game. With fighting becoming less and less relevant, and the addition of skilled guys like Allison, Patrick, Morin who can all scrap, he loses the one leg he had up on a bottom line role. It's not over entirely for him, but definitely here in Philly.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Read the first few pages for fun just now, and it's interesting seeing the countless "Mark Greig should be fired" posts. No surprise at that reaction. Obviously since he hit a home run with Sanheim, and that was a scout's pick for sure.....and our franchise center and d-man and goalie (hopefully) came from his territory, but they were pretty obvious picks that a monkey could have made, provided the monkey was not employed by the Devils. Even Hart at 48 was the consensus best goalie in the draft. Besides, goalie scouting is specialized and you have other scouts do that. Like Brady Robinson does amateur goalie scouting too, and his ties with Hart are well documented. He likely was the driving force behind that one.

Look at the rest of the picks in his tenure, you have: Garrett Klotz (3), Luca Sbisa (1), Jacob De Serres (3), Adam Morrison (3), Brendan Ranford (7), Marcel Noebels (4), Taylor Leier (4), Reece Willcox (5), Tyrell Goulbourne (3), Radel Fazleev (6), Carsen Twarynski (3). For good measure he was peeing himself at the thought of taking Mirco Mueller at 11.

He definitely has his types, though yeah, who had their hands in what isn't always so simple, and he could've been high on good players in other leagues. But you have guys like Grundberg and Hoodikoff doing great work finding steals, usually with low picks. Don't know who their USHL scout is (I think it's Chris Pryor, the son?), but he's been doing fantastic work. I wouldn't mind kicking more picks their way, if possible. I do wonder how good of a scout Greig is though and how much he'd be missed. Pretty much if he doesn't get a can't miss pick......he misses.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine they have multiple scouts for the US leagues given how spread out it can be. But Nick Pryor is definitely one of them as Friedman was his first pick that he vouched for. I remember seeing he's based out of Minnesota though.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I think the Flyers are past the day when they load the 4th line with PK/checking demons with zero offensive skills. They could have just groomed Luby for that role.

The future for the 4th line is going to be talented two way players willing to do the dirty work while they wait for a shot to crack the top 9. No Gouls and no Gagners wanted.
Huh, interesting.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
Hopefully he has a good game. He caught a lot of flack for where he was drafted, but it isn’t his fault. I’m not expecting much, but he may give the team a boost.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Huh, interesting.

We're in the present, not the future.
Next year Goul will have a lot more competition. Lindblom, NAK, MV and eventually Vorobyev added to the forward list.
In two years he'll be up against guys like Twarynski, who couldn't crack the top 20 list.
So like Leier, Cousins, Luby, et al before him, he has a short window of opportunity, take advantage or have a very short NHL career.

If he adds some heart and physicality to a soft team, and replaces Lehtera or Leier, it's a plus.

Reactions: hatcher

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
We're in the present, not the future.
Next year Goul will have a lot more competition. Lindblom, NAK, MV and eventually Vorobyev added to the forward list.
In two years he'll be up against guys like Twarynski, who couldn't crack the top 20 list.
So like Leier, Cousins, Luby, et al before him, he has a short window of opportunity, take advantage or have a very short NHL career.

If he adds some heart and physicality to a soft team, and replaces Lehtera or Leier, it's a plus.

I'm struggling to think of a scenario you wouldn't spin positively

Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Biggest positive to a boring flat team. Finally someone listened when I said call up some guts.
Amen to that. Add Morin and hopefully this team will play with some more energy and courage. I hope Ghoul just plays his game and doesn't try and do too much. Skate and forecheck hard ,play solid d and add some toughness both physical and mental to this team. Simmonds and Gudas should be ecstatic about this

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Amen to that. Add Morin and hopefully this team will play with some more energy and courage. I hope Ghoul just plays his game and doesn't try and do too much. Skate and forecheck hard ,play solid d and add some toughness both physical and mental to this team. Simmonds and Gudas should be ecstatic about this
f*** yeah. This team has no balls including those two this year and they need it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Not sure how I feel about it honestly...lol.

It's just funny that we are struggling to score and we recall a 4th liner in the AHL.

We certainly lack emotion because the coach has none either to feed off of.

Same. Hittin' guys is way down the list of metrics in which this team desperately needs help ... but anyone bringing actual energy would at least be entertaining.

Reactions: hatcher

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rinaldo's defining characteristic as a hockey player is a complete lack of self control, so I don't think he should be used as a comparison to Goulbourne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad