Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick #72: Tyrell Goulbourne, Forward, Kelowna (WHL)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wouldn't count on it, he racked up 261 PIM during four years in the OHL & only had 1 fighting major.

I get that he's a terrible fighter but so is B. Schenn & that doesn't stop him from dropping them when needed.

I think it is different in the NHL. If Cousins gets under the skin of someone, someone will come after him. He may not have a choice to fight at some point. Again, that doesn't mean he is going to get 100 fighting majors, but at some point, he is going to have to drop 'em. And again, like I said, not every time he gets under someone's skin will there be a fight. Sometimes someone will step in. Other times there will be a big scrum. The amount of times that Cousins actions results in a fighting major for one of his teammates is not going to be that high.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think it is different in the NHL. If Cousins gets under the skin of someone, someone will come after him. He may not have a choice to fight at some point. Again, that doesn't mean he is going to get 100 fighting majors, but at some point, he is going to have to drop 'em. And again, like I said, not every time he gets under someone's skin will there be a fight. Sometimes someone will step in. Other times there will be a big scrum. The amount of times that Cousins actions results in a fighting major for one of his teammates is not going to be that high.

I'm not saying every time he starts his antics there will be a fight. It does happen like that now in the OHL. I just doubt he'll answer the bell when the time comes. At this point nothing suggests it will be any different. I mean he's had guys jump him, slash him, basically everything possible to get him to & he would stand there doing nothing waiting for the refs or his teammates to come in for him. The kid lacks heart.

Two years ago he started BS in a game the other player tried getting him to go Cousins absolutely refused to Darnell Nurse had to step in & fight the guy. Nurse was 16 at the time & a rookie in the league. He had to step in for an 18 year old & veteran on the team. It's just embarrassing. You can ask any OHL fan.

haleks

Aug 1, 2009
I'm not saying every time he starts his antics there will be a fight. It does happen like that now in the OHL. I just doubt he'll answer the bell when the time comes. At this point nothing suggests it will be any different. I mean he's had guys jump him, slash him, basically everything possible to get him to & he would stand there doing nothing waiting for the refs or his teammates to come in for him. The kid lacks heart.

Two years ago he started BS in a game the other player tried getting him to go Cousins absolutely refused to Darnell Nurse had to step in & fight the guy. Nurse was 16 at the time & a rookie in the league. He had to step in for an 18 year old & veteran on the team. It's just embarrassing. You can ask any OHL fan.

The guy is their leading scorer for the past 2 years, and he was their 2nd leading scorer the year before. Do you really think that it was all him, and the coaching staff/management had nothing to say about it? I mean EVERYBODY, except you apparently, would say: "You can piss off the other team all you want, but don't get yourself out of the game/in the box."

Let's put it in Flyers perspective, so you're saying if Giroux is pissing off the other team's player and, almost each game, one of them goes after him. You want him to absolutely drop the guy he pissed off and fight. Otherwise you'll tag him as 'he lacks heart'? I bet you'd be the 1st to be happy to see Rinaldo, Schenn, Hartnell or whoever it is, step-in and take the fight in his stead.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The guy is their leading scorer for the past 2 years, and he was their 2nd leading scorer the year before. Do you really think that it was all him, and the coaching staff/management had nothing to say about it? I mean EVERYBODY, except you apparently, would say: "You can piss off the other team all you want, but don't get yourself out of the game/in the box."

Let's put it in Flyers perspective, so you're saying if Giroux is pissing off the other team's player and, almost each game, one of them goes after him. You want him to absolutely drop the guy he pissed off and fight. Otherwise you'll tag him as 'he lacks heart'? I bet you'd be the 1st to be happy to see Rinaldo, Schenn, Hartnell or whoever it is, step-in and take the fight in his stead.

There's a big difference between Giroux & Cousins, Giroux is an elite skilled player as where Cousins projects to be 3rd/4th line guy in the NHL. Cousins is a pest it's part of his game compared to Giroux who is not. That's probably the worst comparison you could possibly make.

The excuse of him being a top player won't be available when/if he makes it to the NHL & continues to with his ways. If he wants to be a pest in the big leagues he's going have to answer the bell once in a while. You can't skirt the line & expect not too.

haleks

Aug 1, 2009
There's a big difference between Giroux & Cousins, Giroux is an elite skilled player as where Cousins projects to be 3rd/4th line guy in the NHL. Cousins is a pest it's part of his game compared to Giroux who is not. That's probably the worst comparison you could possibly make.

The excuse of him being a top player won't be available when/if he makes it to the NHL & continues to with his ways. If he wants to be a pest in the big leagues he's going have to answer the bell once in a while. You can't skirt the line & expect not too.

Who cares what he will be when/if he makes it to the NHL. He was SOO top player (their elite skilled player, just like Giroux is Flyers'). He finished 3rd in the OHL's top scorer race. Do you think SOO want their top player to go running around dropping everyone to "train him" for the Flyers because he's "projected" to be in 3rd liner/4th liner in the NHL?

CHL's team are there to win Championship/Memorial Cups as much as NHL team are there to win Stanley Cups... Their priorities is NOT to "train" player for their "projection" in the NHL, it's to win it all...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Who cares what he will be when/if he makes it to the NHL. He was SOO top player (their elite skilled player, just like Giroux is Flyers'). He finished 3rd in the OHL's top scorer race. Do you think SOO want their top player to go running around dropping everyone to "train him" for the Flyers because he's "projected" to be in 3rd liner/4th liner in the NHL?

CHL's team are there to win Championship/Memorial Cups as much as NHL team are there to win Stanley Cups... Their priorities is NOT to "train" player for their "projection" in the NHL, it's to win it all...

It's pertains to the subject because we are talking about how he will adapt to the NHL level pulling these antics.

You're saying he was an elite player in the OHL (which he was the last two years) then why does he need to pull these antics? He should have just concentrated on getting the puck in the net since he was pretty good at it.

He was the biggest JO on the ice in the OHL for a four year period & only dropped the gloves 1 TIME.

Exhibit A:

That was at the end of the game there, he wouldn't have been taking himself out the game. You pull that in the NHL & the training staff is picking you up off the ice if you're not ready to go.

I love how every Flyers fan would ***** when Avery pulled this crap & then wouldn't answer the bell when challanged. It's funny how people's perspectives change when it's their own guy.

Bottom line is that the kids going have to toughen up or tone it down if he wants to survive in the Pros.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I have no problems with players like Cousins, Marchand, Lapierre, etc. who don't answer the call. This isn't the 70s, 80s, or 90s anymore. The game has evolved, and it has introduced the role of the "superpest".

As long as he's not a distraction to our team, I say more power to him. Players rarely have to answer for their actions in the modern NHL by dropping the gloves.

That video you posted would be an example of him being a distraction to his own team. So, yes, he's going to have to grow up, but if he can find some maturity while keeping his skills as a pest, I'd welcome him on our fourth line given that he's got some skill in his game too. But as for him not fighting, I really couldn't care less. Fighting is being phased out of the game. I don't care if he doesn't want to drop the gloves.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I have no problems with players like Cousins, Marchand, Lapierre, etc. who don't answer the call. This isn't the 70s, 80s, or 90s anymore. The game has evolved, and it has introduced the role of the "superpest".

As long as he's not a distraction to our team, I say more power to him. Players rarely have to answer for their actions in the modern NHL by dropping the gloves.

That video you posted would be an example of him being a distraction to his own team. So, yes, he's going to have to grow up, but if he can find some maturity while keeping his skills as a pest, I'd welcome him on our fourth line given that he's got some skill in his game too. But as for him not fighting, I really couldn't care less. Fighting is being phased out of the game. I don't care if he doesn't want to drop the gloves.

I'm not saying you have to answer every time but when you skirt the line like that there comes a time when you have to man up.

A guy like Kaleta would be considered a super pest & there's times when he does something extremely stupid that deserves it & he obliges his opponent.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm not saying you have to answer every time but when you skirt the line like that there comes a time when you have to man up.

A guy like Kaleta would be considered a super pest & there's times when he does something extremely stupid that deserves it & he obliges his opponent.

Right, it might be more "honorable" to man up and fight someone when you cross the line (or even just put a toe on it), but "the code" is slowly being rewritten and even tossed out to some extent.

Guys just don't have to drop them when they cross the line like they used to. If Cousins does something to piss the other team off and he decides not to fight, what's going to happen? With the instigator rule and the direction we are headed on player safety, they are not going to retaliate by doing something stupid to one of our best players. That just doesn't happen in this NHL.

Those two evolutions (instigator+attention to player safety) are precisely what created the role of the modern pest in this NHL. These are guys who can piss off opponents and hide when the other team comes calling for them to answer. It's cowardly, sure, but if it gives your team an edge, well, then you don't have much of a choice but to employ guys who can fill that role. And, damn, we know that getting under the Penguins skin is one way to beat the Pens.

If Cousins can be an effective bottom six player who can effectively piss off Malkin, Crosby, Letang, and the cast of drama queens in Pittsburgh, I'll be A-ok if he never drops the gloves once in his career provided that he doesn't become a distraction to his own team mates (ie, Avery).

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Exactly, Cousins is going to be the guy that get good players into the box by annoying the hell out of them. IF someone wants to fight, then Rinaldo or Goul could be there to take the call.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
The best teams' fighters can play.

It's not super common for a team to have what the bruins have. They'd be the glaring comparison for your argument. You're right though in saying it's a big advantage when your fighters can play. We have a few guys who opposing players don't want to drop them with in Simmonds and Rinaldo. Nothing compared to the Bruins, but I don't see many other teams with it either. Not many thought Lucic would be an effective NHL er till he was.

haleks

Aug 1, 2009
It's pertains to the subject because we are talking about how he will adapt to the NHL level pulling these antics.

You're saying he was an elite player in the OHL (which he was the last two years) then why does he need to pull these antics? He should have just concentrated on getting the puck in the net since he was pretty good at it.

Why not? What's the problem? Because he's the team top scorer he needs to keep his mouth shut and be an angel on the ice? His antics might be one of the reason he put up lots of points. When he piss off the other team they'll try to take run at him and probably gets call for it, or put themselves out of position and a scoring chance open up. So again, why not?

He was the biggest JO on the ice in the OHL for a four year period & only dropped the gloves 1 TIME.

Exhibit A:

That was at the end of the game there, he wouldn't have been taking himself out the game. You pull that in the NHL & the training staff is picking you up off the ice if you're not ready to go.

So the guy gets two-handed tomahawk swing in the stomach then jumped on (deservedly so for being in the face of that other player) and your complaining he hasn't drop the glove? I mean c'mon... And by the way, in the NHL it might not have been that bad. The player that does stuff like that get suspended and they lose a lot of cash. How many time did Marchand/Avery got that supposedly 'beating' that is waiting for Cousins for his antics? The year is 2013, player that jumps other players get consequence nowadays and it doesn't come cheap with the salaries player are making. It's not the 70s anymore.

I love how every Flyers fan would ***** when Avery pulled this crap & then wouldn't answer the bell when challanged. It's funny how people's perspectives change when it's their own guy.

Bottom line is that the kids going have to toughen up or tone it down if he wants to survive in the Pros.

IMO Avery is in own league, he was hated by everyone including his teammates. A better comparison for Cousins would be Marchand. How many fight Marchand has? Like I said earlier, how many time did Marchand got his 'beating'?

I have no problem with a top player being cocky and in the face of his opponent, getting them off their game, and for not wanting to get himself out of the game/suspended when he his challenged.

But all in all we shall see when/if he make an NHL team first, regardless if it's with the Flyers or not. For all we know he might get traded or won't be able to crack the lineup. All we know right now is he was the leading scorer of his team.

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009

At the end of the day Cousins will be exactly like Brad Marchand. He yaps, he has antics and he is SKILLED. When was the last time Marchand dropped the gloves to so speak? I cant recall but when a whole team becomes focused on HIM that is a significant advantage for the Bruins. It's apart of the game some guys are REALLY good at it. He doesn't lack heart so to speak, he doesn't need to answer the bell, nor does Giroux, The Flyers have punching bags on the 4th line, Nick Cousins will not be one of them, he'll be a guy who agitates the other team to the point of craziness, will he have to fight at some point, sure, but he's going to suck a lot of players off their game and a lot of teams are going to find that out really fast. Love him as a player and LOVE he's flying under the radar.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
At the end of the day Cousins will be exactly like Brad Marchand. He yaps, he has antics and he is SKILLED. When was the last time Marchand dropped the gloves to so speak? I cant recall but when a whole team becomes focused on HIM that is a significant advantage for the Bruins. It's apart of the game some guys are REALLY good at it. He doesn't lack heart so to speak, he doesn't need to answer the bell, nor does Giroux, The Flyers have punching bags on the 4th line, Nick Cousins will not be one of them, he'll be a guy who agitates the other team to the point of craziness, will he have to fight at some point, sure, but he's going to suck a lot of players off their game and a lot of teams are going to find that out really fast. Love him as a player and LOVE he's flying under the radar.

I think the Marchand comparison isn't perfect. Marchand is faster and more physical, but Cousins has more skill but isn't as good a skater.

Marchand will always find a place because he can be a checker. In my gut I see Cousins as a good NHL player with possible top 6 potential if he really figures the pro game out. More likely he'll be a skilled 3rd line player, but not really the PK/checker type. He needs to score to play in the NHL - kind of like Matt Read (smaller, skilled player).

If he can't produce offensively at all in the AHL this year or next, he could end up never making it and ending up in Europe - where many smaller skilled Jrs who lack top end NHL speed end up.

There are a lot of ways it could go for him, but I don't think he needs to worry about fighting goons. He agitates with his mouth, and he must be really smart and viciously witty with it, because he drives the opposition absolutely bonkers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment when you compare him to Marchand, other than being a pest & small in statue that's about where the line draws when comparing the two.

Marchand's skating is very good, he plays physical despite his size & plays his own zone well. Cousins skating is considered average at best, he shy's away from physical contact & his defense is considered poor.

Last edited:

Chuck Downie

Filthy Blonde
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Lots of great posts in this thread. My fav Goulbourne moment is his fight with Stortini.

I wonder if the Flyers will throw him a bone with an AHL deal for 2018-19? He`s more ECHL material at this point, but maybe he can get a few games in with the Phantoms this season.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Lol, that would have been great!

It's fun going back and reading this thread. Most people were right about him, it seems.

Last edited:

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think the NHL should mandate that every team have a fourth line enforcer. We need to get back somewhat to the "good ol days". I miss the Dan line from the mid-90's.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It's a shame that the Flyers never groomed Goulbourne properly. The guy was a defensive demon in the WHL and was the leader of the Kelowna PK unit. The guy could play. Now, he could throw down with the best of them, but he was also a good solid player. He could have been an effective fourth line who can skate and check. I don't get why the Flyers were more focused on him being a fighter. He'll never be worth the pick he was selected at, but he could have been a contributor.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
It's a shame that the Flyers never groomed Goulbourne properly. The guy was a defensive demon in the WHL and was the leader of the Kelowna PK unit. The guy could play. Now, he could throw down with the best of them, but he was also a good solid player. He could have been an effective fourth line who can skate and check. I don't get why the Flyers were more focused on him being a fighter. He'll never be worth the pick he was selected at, but he could have been a contributor.

I agree 100% He can skate, hit, check, kill penalties and fight. Those are all valuable 4th line assets if groomed properly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad