Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick #72: Tyrell Goulbourne, Forward, Kelowna (WHL)

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The reality is that there are still solid NHL players in the 3rd round with good upside. Zdeno Chara, Brad Richards, Brian Gionta, Craig Anderson, Patrick Sharp, Alexander Edler, Johan Franzen, Kris Letang, Jonathan Quick, and Adam Henrique were all 3rd round picks. So you're telling me that these teams should have drafted for depth instead? I'd rather gamble on upside in the 3rd round and end up with a player of this caliber even if it's once every 10-20 years. I'd take one Chara, Quick, or Letang over twenty Rinaldos.
Unless you have a time machine to identify who those guys will be, there is like a 5% chance of finding one. Craaaapshoot.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Unless you have a time machine to identify who those guys will be, there is like a 5% chance of finding one. Craaaapshoot.

Exactly this.

NJ had no idea Henrique would be the home run of the third round. A guy with limited upside whose skill projects well to the NHL game is a much more likely bet then swinging for the fences and hitting it out of the park once every ten years.

That said, this pick sucks because we could have gotten him in a later round. No way around that.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

That would be why I said that I'd rather gamble on hitting one of those players every 10-20 years than picking 20 Rinaldos.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
That would be why I said that I'd rather gamble on hitting one of those players every 10-20 years than picking 20 Rinaldos.

Considering that Rinaldo is still young, I'm not sure why you need to draft another one considering that the one we have barely plays.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Who is to say this kid can't ever be something...

Its hard to project where these kids end up. And I know he's 19.

Yes, he could likely have been had later, but obviously some scout got their way.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
It seems to me like some in this thread are arguing that just finding an NHL player in the draft is a success. I disagree with that and will try to give an example.

IMO if you have two GM's over the course of 5 drafts make 3rd round picks.

GM 1: finds 3 4th line players
GM2: misses on 4, but finds 1 bonafide 3rd liner.

I say GM 2 is the more successful. In the NHL with the salary cap it's about finding talent and putting them on your roster to perform and if you do it on the cheap (I.E. draft/develop the player so they are paid under what it would cost to acquire that type of player as a FA) then you are a success.

The amount of cost to sign/pick-up guys to play on your 4th line is a lot less than the cost to sign 3rd line players. The amount for 3rd line players is less than 2nd line players...

I don't think you should draft any player with the mindset that you think their ultimate upside is 4th line until you've seen every single prospect who you think has an upside greater than that gone off the board.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Who is to say this kid can't ever be something...

Its hard to project where these kids end up. And I know he's 19.

Yes, he could likely have been had later, but obviously some scout got their way.

I'm not saying he can't be something, but he'll 4th line player at best. You can't just develop a 3rd/4th liner at the junior level into a top 9 forward. You're drive and determination can get you very far in life, but only so far.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
You're drive and determination can get you very far in life, but only so far.
It gets you alot further than talent. Its talented guys with that drive that end up superstars.

Talent alone gets you in the swiss league.

If ANYONE thought any of those guys that were picked in the 3rd would be the players that they are, there is NO WAY they would have went that low.

The comparisons to Klotz are terrible with this kid. I mean, 5 seconds of his youtube clip and you can see he actually skates pretty well.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Seems like the Flyers took Morin, Hagg, and 4 7th rounders.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
when Flames didn't pick Fucale i was praying that Homer would trade the 4th/3rd+next year 2nd for late 1st or early 2nd to grab Fucale but he didn't do it, and when he drafted this dude with the 3rd+he was a centre that was it for me homer is not a good GM

SchennSational1022*

With Subban still on the board, this makes me want to vomit. Awful ****ing management. Could of had this guy in the 7th round...Get the **** out of this mindset that fighting and intimidation wins games, it doesnt. Enough is enough...

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Timmonen would be a better example, Forward can be very good even if they are 5"9

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Oh, look, it's the 'you have the right to challenge the organization (even though I never heard of this guy or the other guys available besides the one highlight film I watched the other day)' guy. Close the thread. This guy is worthless because I don't know who he is and there were other names I recognized.

Well said. I don't this kid from Adam, but from those two clips, the kid has his head on his shoulders and our scouts liked him. That's how it works. Given his determination to make it, toughness, speed and hands, he'll probably enjoy a long NHL career.

SchennSational1022*

290 defensmen played in the NHL this year. 86% were 6 feet or taller. 98% were 5'10 or taller. Plus you have to wonder where he would have been drafted if his name wasn't Subban.

His 51 points and upside warrant a higher pick than 115....

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
This type of player can be picked up as a free agent once his CHL career is over, instead of wasting a pick on him. There are tons of lower skilled players graduating every year.

At least try to do something with a 3rd round pick. It may not work out, but at least give yourself a chance.

Instead, Homer pees away picks like this and then has to scrounge around for FA impact players.

Fantastic use of picks.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This type of player can be picked up as a free agent once his CHL career is over, instead of wasting a pick on him. There are tons of lower skilled players graduating every year.

At least try to do something with a 3rd round pick. It may not work out, but at least give yourself a chance.

Instead, Homer pees away picks like this and then has to scrounge around for FA impact players.

Fantastic use of picks.

A dart board would have produced a better selection than this.

I honestly haven't looked but I'm willing to wager that this was the biggest reach of the draft based off of rankings.

Hell we could have gone with the local boy in Lodge and made up for the Bobby Ryan dream some what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad