Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick #72: Tyrell Goulbourne, Forward, Kelowna (WHL)

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Oh, look, it's 'they get paid to do this and you're on a computer' guy. Argument's over guys. We can close the thread since it's not really worth objectively challenging it.

Be honest with yourself. Have you seen him play? So how could we make an accurate assessment of his good and bad attributes?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Be honest with yourself. Have you seen him play? So how could we make an accurate assessment of his good and bad attributes?

I see esteemed Flyers insider Anthony San Fillippo run off this notes what he's heard.

RT @AnthonySan37: Goulbourne is a 19-yr-old LW 5-10, 195. Here's what they say about him: "hard-worker, willing to go through a wall, teammates love him...

RT @AnthonySan37: "… willing to block shots. Great character leader. Warrior. Tough and respected."

The first 7 things he says, has nothing to do with hockey skill. The only thing about anything resembling defense is 'willing to block shots.'

I'm sure his chance will come as an older player when some older guys are moved out, but point is that the discussion is taking place little if any discussion about actually playing hockey. Nothing about shooting, puck possession, defense, penalty killing. Nothing. Not even the lack of it. Nobody has seen good or bad attributes. That is how you know you've made a bad pick.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I see esteemed Flyers insider Anthony San Fillippo run off this notes what he's heard.

RT @AnthonySan37: Goulbourne is a 19-yr-old LW 5-10, 195. Here's what they say about him: "hard-worker, willing to go through a wall, teammates love him...

RT @AnthonySan37: "… willing to block shots. Great character leader. Warrior. Tough and respected."

The first 7 things he says, has nothing to do with hockey skill. The only thing about anything resembling defense is 'willing to block shots.'

I'm sure his chance will come as an older player when some older guys are moved out, but point is that the discussion is taking place little if any discussion about actually playing hockey. Nothing about shooting, puck possession, defense, penalty killing. Nothing. Not even the lack of it. Nobody has seen good or bad attributes. That is how you know you've made a bad pick.

Well not saying you don't make good points but I saw similar points with respect to Rinaldo from you....

Guess we'll see if his "intangibles" translate to making the NHL and becoming a regular..

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Meh, I mean how many of us honestly can say whether or not this is a good pick? I have never heard of him or half the guys taken in this round. These guys have like a 10% chance of making at as an NHLer to begin with. Ease up and see what he is doing in a couple years because there is very little you can say that could legitimately call into question a third round pick.

Even if you have seen him play before. Even if you have read his full scouting report. The Flyers scouts have 100x more information and expertise on the subject than you. You may not like the pick in terms of maybe you wanted a different player, but don't act like you know more than the team because it is so much more likely that you are wrong about whomever you would have chosen based on a tweet from Bill Meltzer back in February or whatever.

Hear that guys? We're just on a computer and work average jobs so we can't possibly know as much as scouts or Holmgren do. There's no way we can even somewhat accurately assess a player regardless of how much we've seen or know of him.

Let's all be blind sheep. That should be fun. I'm sure nothing bad ever comes of that.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006

From the sounds of it he'll be a bottom six winger who will be a penalty killer. A heart and soul guy whos a great teammate. It's either that or he doesn't make the NHL. What the **** can i say? I know nothing about the guy because I never heard of him.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Well not saying you don't make good points but I saw similar points with respect to Rinaldo from you....

Guess we'll see if his "intangibles" translate to making the NHL and becoming a regular..

Yes, drafting guys with the high upside of the godly Zac Rinaldo in the third freaking round must be smart. If Rinaldo is the bar for third rounders I wonder what the bar for a 7th round pick is? Towel person?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

And I will continue to make the same points about Rinaldo. He should not be an NHL player. Just because he made it to the NHL doesn't mean you have to agree with whether or not he's there. Of course this is the wrong place to talk about it, because hits, fights, and eternal reputation struggle.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, drafting guys with the high upside of the godly Zac Rinaldo in the third freaking round must be smart. If Rinaldo is the bar for third rounders I wonder what the bar for a 7th round pick is? Towel person?

Hey man...just trying to be positive but yeah this pick looks pretty bad....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Oh, look, it's 'they get paid to do this and you're on a computer' guy. Argument's over guys. We can close the thread since it's not really worth objectively challenging it.

Oh, look, it's the 'you have the right to challenge the organization (even though I never heard of this guy or the other guys available besides the one highlight film I watched the other day)' guy. Close the thread. This guy is worthless because I don't know who he is and there were other names I recognized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad