Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 52, Wade Allison, RW, Tri-City (USHL)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This f***ing weirdo. What grown man says that?

28EDE73E-E3E8-4553-BFFD-02CB99E95E80.jpeg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One reason these guys sign is they identify with the organization, drafted by them, frequent interaction with coaches over the years.
So given there really is no "grass is greener" option, it's not surprising they'd sign with an organization they know with a good reputation.

Marody is a good example, he's still struggling to get out of the AHL on a thin team. If you're not a sure thing, you might be better with a team that knows you, has made a commitment to you and has people who'll champion you within the organization.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
One reason these guys sign is they identify with the organization, drafted by them, frequent interaction with coaches over the years.
So given there really is no "grass is greener" option, it's not surprising they'd sign with an organization they know with a good reputation.

Marody is a good example, he's still struggling to get out of the AHL on a thin team. If you're not a sure thing, you might be better with a team that knows you, has made a commitment to you and has people who'll champion you within the organization.
This is also why they do those team bonding things during rookie camp, get those kids their experience with the team, facilities, coaches and more importantly their future teammates. There isn't really any leverage for another team, they aren't going to get a better deal, they aren't going to get guaranteed playing time, etc. Thats why its pretty rare for a drafted NCAA player to not sign with his drafting team, unless the player hasn't performed well in college.

Reactions: IronMarshal

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think there was some level of legitimate concern with Laczysnki. Did some perhaps go overboard? Sure but have some concern wasn’t like unfathomable thought. He wasn’t upfront at least publicly with intentions throughout the process like Allison was. He even skipped the development camp this summer. Add in GM change in the middle off there on top of the other things.

Allison I never really worried about sign ability. Honestly before he took off in the second half this year I was honestly more worried if the injuries he piled up was starting to take a toll on him. But I figured the Flyers were going to offer him a contract regardless if he took off like that or not.

But I’m glad it worked out in the end.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I think there was some level of legitimate concern with Laczysnki. Did some perhaps go overboard? Sure but have some concern wasn’t like unfathomable thought. He wasn’t upfront at least publicly with intentions throughout the process like Allison was. He even skipped the development camp this summer. Add in GM change in the middle off there on top of the other things.

Allison I never really worried about sign ability. Honestly before he took off in the second half this year I was honestly more worried if the injuries he piled up was starting to take a toll on him. But I figured the Flyers were going to offer him a contract regardless if he took off like that or not.

But I’m glad it worked out in the end.
Didn’t he miss camp because of summer classes? I also remember an article before this season started, his college coach, stated a few times the flyers will love him. He will be a benefit to the flyer organization. That made me believe he just wanted to play in college instead of the AHL last year. But always planned on signing with the flyers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Didn’t he miss camp because of summer classes? I also remember an article before this season started, his college coach, stated a few times the flyers will love him. He will be a benefit to the flyer organization. That made me believe he just wanted to play in college instead of the AHL last year. But always planned on signing with the flyers.

That was the reason given. You don’t think it was somewhat suspicious that the year leading into his final year of the contract he skipped a development camp? I’m not saying he was outright lying but even now I still find it hard to believe that it wasn’t a leverage tactic by his camp.

Now I will say when Flahr came out publicly & said they think he can play in the NHL right away this year in the last few months that was encouraging & a good bargain chip for the Flyers.

I’d have to imagine they was/is some type of understand still there if we somehow play again that could happen.

Last edited:

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
That was the reason given. You don’t think it was somewhat suspicious that the year leading into his final year of the contract he skipped a development camp? I’m not saying he was outright lying but even now I still find it hard to believe that it wasn’t a leverage tactic by his camp.

Now I will say when Flahr came out publicly & said they think he can play in the NHL right away this year in the last few months that was encouraging & a good bargain chip for the Flyers.

I’d have to imagine they was/is some type of understand still there if we somehow play again that could happen.

I don’t because, I believe, NCAA rules state that if you are in classes you can not do so. He was definitely taking summer classes per the article.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Comes across as a genuinely cool dude

Wade seemed a bit subdued in this interview. But yes, a cool dude. Probably trying to do the standard hockey guy interview.

The time I went to Trial on the Isle, Wade was the life of the party. Pretty untethered while on the beach. He's going to be a big fan favorite based on his personality alone.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Wade seemed a bit subdued in this interview. But yes, a cool dude. Probably trying to do the standard hockey guy interview.

The time I went to Trial on the Isle, Wade was the life of the party. Pretty untethered while on the beach. He's going to be a big fan favorite based on his personality alone.

So he is the Scott Hartnell ReGen then.

(I'm not sure if you play EHM)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is an interveiw from our local paper in Winnipeg a few weeks back .Flyers over free agency

"Philly’s been unbelievable to me these last four years. Everything I’ve ever needed or asked for or had questions about, they’ve always been there immediately.
"I never really thought about skipping out on them. They took a chance on me and I figured that I owed them. They’ve given me a good opportunity to be me and do what I do and I really never thought about free agency, to be honest."

Guess treating prospects with respect and being responsive pays off.
Who would have thought?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I remember the days when people were telling us they weren’t going to sign...
It seems like every player the Flyers ever draft that goes to college there is panic about them not signing if they don't immediately sign.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It seems like every player the Flyers ever draft that goes to college there is panic about them not signing if they don't immediately sign.

Have we lost anyone other than Marody, and we got a 3rd rd pick for a guy who can't crack the Edmonton lineup.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I will always wonder if Tanner would have tried free agency in August if the NHL hadn’t had to shut down.
Not sure why. If the league continued, he had incentive to sign with the Flyers to burn a year off his ELC. Once that was off the table because of COVID-19, it actually would have made more sense for him to wait and test UFA in August, that incentive having been removed. I think we have to assume he was not seriously considering going UFA, and the evidence is his Flyer contract.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
This kid can really play
Can he ever. I've been very impressed with his play in his first four games. The Ranger announcers were really impressed last night.

He has that funny bowlegged skating stride, but he has decent speed and size. He's got great hockey instincts and good hands. Had several great scoring chances again last night. He also plays good D.

Very excited to see how he continues to develop - definitely a bright spot in a season of mediocrity and despair.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laczynski and Allison have been as advertised, and they show the value of "marinating" prospects, 23 years old with 4 years college, a few games in the AHL to get acclimated to the pro game and they're NHL ready.

One reason to get excited about next season, adding Frost, Laczynski, Allison and York in one fell swoop.

Reactions: Larry44

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Can he ever. I've been very impressed with his play in his first four games. The Ranger announcers were really impressed last night.

He has that funny bowlegged skating stride, but he has decent speed and size. He's got great hockey instincts and good hands. Had several great scoring chances again last night. He also plays good D.

Very excited to see how he continues to develop - definitely a bright spot in a season of mediocrity and despair.

Doubly bright considering the serious injuries from which he has recovered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad