Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 52, Wade Allison, RW, Tri-City (USHL)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I mean he’s signed to an ELC so we are going to see it play out regardless. But I don’t think you can have much expectations for him at this point. He only plays when the puck is on his stick. Otherwise he just goes out there for skates until the puck finds him somehow.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes you are correct on that... and I too preach that sometimes. I don't want you to take away from this that I think Allison isn't good or won't be anything... he's probably one of our more underrated prospects.

Yeah, I gotcha dude. My first response was only kidding around anyway.

I really do like Allison, but I'm exaggerating when I praise him. No issue with others not being as high on him as I am.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I really wonder what would have happened with Laberge if he didn't go run then had to be in a dark room for a month. I could see why he's passive. Its human instinct after that kind of hit.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
... which is why the Schenn trade is not "very bad" or "a disaster" as some have been saying. :naughty: The fat bastard.
Well it's bad if the goal is to win today. Certain people just have not come to that realization that the future is more important to Hextall than the present.

I have accepted it....serenity now...

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Well it's bad if the goal is to win today. Certain people just have not come to that realization that the future is more important to Hextall than the present.

Still think it was a curious move to trade a young very productive player (25goals)for two late 1sts and a cap dump. They could have waited for a deal where they have a better chance to land a high end talent.

A lot of times there was something behind the scenes but most likely i guess they thought Patrick or Lindblom could just step in and takeover his roles which they hopefully will by midseason.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He would certainly help fill the LW spot on the 3rd line....but I do think they thought Lindblom would fill that spot as well as the PP slot spot. And he still might in the future if Couts doesn't produce there.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Then trade the older core then so we don't sit in the middle of the pack. Take afew steps back to move forward but I don't trust Hexy to make trades.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Then trade the older core then so we don't sit in the middle of the pack. Take a few steps back to move forward but I don't trust Hexy to make trades.
You mean the 2 guys who were viewed as cap dumps this summer?

Or Simmer who we all have talked about trading vs re-signing?

That leaves Couts on a 5 year deal for good value.

Reality is, Hextall has been all about re-stocking the prospect depth from virtually no one, to one that was voted consistently the best this summer. And he did so without trading away our top 4 forwards. Yes it sucks being in no mans land, but again, it's not like we have "gone without".

2014 Made playoffs drafted Sanheim and Lindblom who could be core players for a decade.
2015 Missed playoff and drafted Provy and Konecny. Besides Matthews, maybe Eichel, No one else I would trade Provy for.
2016 Made the playoffs but still drafted 5 WJC players(Hogberg this year) as well as Allison and Bunnyman
2017 Missed the playoffs but drafted #2 overall and got Patrick

Hextall joined just before 2014 draft so really the last 3 season are on him. And while we missed the playoffs 2 out of 3 times, 2 of those drafts we arguably got top 5 players from the draft. So I am not sure "tanking" would have yielded a much better return unless we happened to get lucky in 2016 and snagged a top 7 pick. And even then, we would have had to avoided Pool Party, Juolevi, and Dubois as they have not had any impact yet.

You don't always need to tear it down to build up a good prospect base and team. It's just going slower than most hope it would and the primes of G, Jake and Simmer have been wasted. But we had no prospect depth to go after guys to make us better anyways.

I have said it many times now, us winning will be on teh backs of our young Dmen, not the core from the last few years. They coulld still be here to help as vets, but the next wave of guys will be relied upon to win.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's going slower because in Hockey and Baseball, you're drafting a lot of 18 year olds, and except for a few premier talents like Provorov, they don't mature as players until they're 22-23. So it's about five years from the beginning of the rebuilding until you start seeing the fruits of your labor. When Hextall took over, the only serious prospects were Ghost, Morin, Laughton, Hagg, Manning, Leier, Cousins, Stolarz, Wilcox. His first draft and second drafts are now in the AHL.
2014: Sanheim, Lindblom, NAK, Fazleev, Friedman
2015: Vorobyev, Martel, Myers [Sandstrom, Kase, Marody] - Provorov, Konency
2016: Lyon
2017: MV, Patrick
Hextall's team won't hit the ice en masse untnil 2019-20, the 6th year after he took over.
The 2015 draft is in the AHL and in Philly hopefully next year, the collete and Euro players in two years?
The 2016 draft hits the AHL in 2018 and Philly hopefully in 2019
The 2017 draft hits the AHL in 2019 and Philly hopefully in 2020

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You mean the 2 guys who were viewed as cap dumps this summer?

Or Simmer who we all have talked about trading vs re-signing?

That leaves Couts on a 5 year deal for good value.

Reality is, Hextall has been all about re-stocking the prospect depth from virtually no one, to one that was voted consistently the best this summer. And he did so without trading away our top 4 forwards. Yes it sucks being in no mans land, but again, it's not like we have "gone without".

2014 Missed playoffs but drafted Sanheim and Lindblom who could be core players for a decade.
2015 Missed playoff and drafted Provy and Konecny. Besides Matthews, maybe Eichel, No one else I would trade Provy for.
2016 Made the playoffs but still drafted 5 WJC players(Hogberg this year) as well as Allison and Bunnyman
2017 Missed the playoffs but drafted #2 overall and got Patrick

Hextall joined just before 2014 draft so really the last 3 season are on him. And while we missed the playoffs 2 out of 3 times, 2 of those drafts we arguably got top 5 players from the draft. So I am not sure "tanking" would have yielded a much better return unless we happened to get lucky in 2016 and snagged a top 7 pick. And even then, we would have had to avoided Pool Party, Juolevi, and Dubois as they have not had any impact yet.

You don't always need to tear it down to build up a good prospect base and team. It's just going slower than most hope it would and the primes of G, Jake and Simmer have been wasted. But we had no prospect depth to go after guys to make us better anyways.

I have said it many times now, us winning will be on teh backs of our young Dmen, not the core from the last few years. They coulld still be here to help as vets, but the next wave of guys will be relied upon to win.

We made the Playoffs in 2014 and lost to the Rangers in a hard-fought 1st round series that we probably would have won had Ray Emery not started the first 3 games.

Rest of your post is spot-on.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We made the Playoffs in 2014 and lost to the Rangers in a hard-fought 1st round series that we probably would have won had Ray Emery not started the first 3 games.

Rest of your post is spot-on.
my bad...fixed.

When Hextall has a summer where he signs Elliott for 2 years and trades away Schenn for picks, it's a clear sign that we are still re-building.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
my bad...fixed.

When Hextall has a summer where he signs Elliott for 2 years and trades away Schenn for picks, it's a clear sign that we are still re-building.
Not doing that good of job. Very average product on the ice and thank Christ G is playing well. Coach sucks aswell.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not doing that good of job. Very average product on the ice and thank Christ G is playing well. Coach sucks aswell.
... the team on the ice very obviously isn't finished being rebuilt.

Would you take a cake out of the oven halfway through the cooking time and say "ugh this cake is terrible"? Complaining about the current state makes no sense when you know it's not done yet.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
... the team on the ice very obviously isn't finished being rebuilt.

Would you take a cake out of the oven halfway through the cooking time and say "ugh this cake is terrible"? Complaining about the current state makes no sense when you know it's not done yet.
He just doesn't make the team better as shown on the ice. Hak and Hexy can't wait for every prospect to be good and trading Schenn for two late firsts was terrible. Just don't like the direction that's all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He just doesn't make the team better as shown on the ice. Hak and Hexy can't wait for every prospect to be good and trading Schenn for two late firsts was terrible. Just don't like the direction that's all.
You don't have to like it, but again, the rebuild is not done.

Only time is going to fix the defense. So since we are waiting for them, might as well wait for the G and F too.

Holmgren FOR SURE would have made 3-4 deals by now, made us better, depleted all the prospects in those trades, and we would win 1-2 playoff rounds.

Patience is tough especially for Flyer fans.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall doesn't make the team better on the ice?

Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, Filppula, Laughton, Ghost, Gudas, etc aren't an improvement over the trash they replaced? Come on man, you know thats not true.

Like I said, this is far from a finished product. The team is absolutely better today than they've been in recent years. We all want it to be fixed quickly but that's not how it works. We have so many young players who are on the roster and improving and many more on the way. Plus deadweight players leaving in the next few years. There's definitely light at the end of this tunnel.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Patience is tough especially for Flyer fans.

I don't mind, actually, because they are finally doing what I have been wanting them to do for decades. It helps to spew all the anger initially, irrationally, and get it all out when we **** up, and it helps to blame the coach for everything - it buys me more mental room for patience.

Reactions: BernieParent

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, Filppula, Laughton, Ghost, Gudas, etc aren't an improvement over the trash they replaced? Come on man, you know thats not true.

Like I said, this is far from a finished product. The team is absolutely better today than they've been in recent years. We all want it to be fixed quickly but that's not how it works. We have so many young players who are on the roster and improving and many more on the way. Plus deadweight players leaving in the next few years. There's definitely light at the end of this tunnel.
I get it but why with younger players doesn't it look the same as 4 years ago. Just skating around not playing as hard as they can and playing really flat home games. I think its coach.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I get it but why with younger players doesn't it look the same as 4 years ago. Just skating around not playing as hard as they can and playing really flat home games. I think its coach.
Every single team has bad games. You're acting like this team is any different from the rest of the league. Look at the GDT of a loss on the board of any top team in the league. It's the exact same complaints that we see on here.

The haven't been nearly as bad as you're making it seem, either. Effort has never been the issue, it's just that the team is flawed (especially now when there's lots of injures) because they have a lot of placeholders right now. The worst players on the team right now are all guys who will be gone soon and replaced by guys like Morin, Allison, Rubtsov, etc.

Bad games are bad games, it happens, but when this team is winning they show a ton of potential.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The issue for me is not that the talent hasn't gotten better. It most certainly has. That is not debateable.

The issue for me is that the results haven't gotten any better. Speaking in terms of Winning Percentage is all that matters at the end of the day:

Berube year 1: .595 winning percentage
Berube year 2: .512 winning percentage

Hakstol year 1: .585 winning percentage
Hakstol year 2: .537
Hakstol year 3: .533

So yeah, all 3 of Hakstols seasons have been better than Year 2 of Berube but the results are getting worse with each season. The sample size is obviously small so far for Year 3 so hopefully that turns around.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The issue for me is not that the talent hasn't gotten better. It most certainly has. That is not debateable.

The issue for me is that the results haven't gotten any better. Speaking in terms of Winning Percentage is all that matters at the end of the day:

Berube year 1: .595 winning percentage
Berube year 2: .512 winning percentage

Hakstol year 1: .585 winning percentage
Hakstol year 2: .537
Hakstol year 3: .533

So yeah, all 3 of Hakstols seasons have been better than Year 2 of Berube but the results are getting worse with each season. The sample size is obviously small so far for Year 3 so hopefully that turns around.

Yes, agreed, on the grand scale of things, winning is tops. But I take some solace in the fact that the team has been outplayed in a minimum of games, has really only 'stolen' one game (IMHO), and were the better team for several of the losses. And this was with a very challenging schedule to date, and with some key injuries.

Medical studies all have one or, at most, two primary outcomes but they usually have a laundry list of secondary outcomes that will provide important information for future study. This team is doing okay, relatively speaking, in the primary outcome of winning, but is moving ahead well with integrating the prospects into the line-up. Yes, ice time has been an issue but, goodness, the team was a Morin injury away from having the top 5 D prospects all in orange and black (ignoring the fact that Moring would be called up for Gostisbehere).

I think I am slowly being assimilated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->