Round 2 33rd overall Arthur Kaliyev

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
So does any one have a clue about what to do with Kaliyev next season? He still is apart of the mandatory OHL underage rule for the AHL but is too good to play in that league. Which could massively harm his development. But I don't think he is ready for the NHL yet.

Do they send him back down, loan him to a European team, or try their luck with the NHL?

Reactions: crassbonanza

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
So does any one have a clue about what to do with Kaliyev next season? He still is apart of the mandatory OHL underage rule for the AHL but is too good to play in that league. Which could massively harm his development. But I don't think he is ready for the NHL yet.

Do they send him back down, loan him to a European team, or try their luck with the NHL?
I think he gets a few games at the end of this season in ONT, and more than likely unfortunately ends up in the OHL again next year. While many fans want him in the NHL next season, there will be significant questions if he can play at that pace and be responsible enough defensively to go right to the highest league in the land. Those are the areas they told him to work on, and he gave those same answer recently when speaking about the WJC tourney. The odds are not in his favor to make the NHL next year, but obviously anything can happen. It will be dictated by his ability.

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
Does anyone know if he can be loaned to Europe? I know Swedes and Finns are routinely loaned back to their former clubs but I've never heard of a NHL team loaning a CHL prospect to a European club.
Could this be a way around the CHL-NHL agreement? If so, would loaning him to, say a Swiss club, be better for his development?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Does anyone know if he can be loaned to Europe? I know Swedes and Finns are routinely loaned back to their former clubs but I've never heard of a NHL team loaning a CHL prospect to a European club.
Could this be a way around the CHL-NHL agreement? If so, would loaning him to, say a Swiss club, be better for his development?

I don't think the CHL/NHL agreement permits this, just as they can't be "loaned" yo the AHL.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I’m not saying it would the right move but the CHL agreement serves nobody but the CHL.

I've argued that they could have have a special designation for one player per NHL organization allowing them to play in the AHL as soon as they are drafted, this would solve 90% of the problem.

And obviously the CHL doesn't lose 100 of its top players.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think he gets a few games at the end of this season in ONT, and more than likely unfortunately ends up in the OHL again next year. While many fans want him in the NHL next season, there will be significant questions if he can play at that pace and be responsible enough defensively to go right to the highest league in the land. Those are the areas they told him to work on, and he gave those same answer recently when speaking about the WJC tourney. The odds are not in his favor to make the NHL next year, but obviously anything can happen. It will be dictated by his ability.
My goodness Kaliyev is going to tear the OHL a new hole if he goes back for another year. Like a man among boys out there.

Reactions: tonellisghost

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I don't believe so. Hamilton has rights here. You just can't take their star player and ship him off to Europe next season as far as I know. It's either the OHL or NHL for him. I suspect that if Kaliyev is on Hamilton next season and they aren't a contending team, he'll get traded to an OHL contender for assets. I don't think Hamilton would trade him this year at 18 unless the Kings are telling them he'll be in the NHL for sure next season (e.g what happened with Vilardi in the OHL, only to have the injury thwart his 19 year old season which would have been in the NHL).

Last edited:

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
I've argued that they could have have a special designation for one player per NHL organization allowing them to play in the AHL as soon as they are drafted, this would solve 90% of the problem.

And obviously the CHL doesn't lose 100 of its top players.
This would be ideal. Really, only a small percentage of draft picks would be affected. Most kids need a couple more years in junior

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
Blake needs to get on the phone with Lombardi and Uncle Lou to find a loophole.
Is there anything to stop Kaliyev and his agent from signing a year deal in Europe? He could possibly get top 6 minutes playing against men.
Brandon Jennings played his draft year in Italy before going to the NBA and Auston Matthews played in Switzerland after leaving the USNTDP. Not perfect examples as both were prior to being drafted, but still.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
It's been like this for years...nothing one can do.
I think with Arthur's drive (part of it not being drafted in rd 1) and his ramped up work ethic, started with the Kings strength coach, then the Hamilton strength coach, and working with the Kings dev
staff this Summer on seeing the ice and expanding on positional play - to add to an already ELITE shot, near elite playmaking ability (for an 18 yr old) and improved skating, and how he talks about working on his play in all 3 zones...he will have a good shot at making the Kings. Look at LW on the Kings...Iafallo, Kempe...? He should have a great chance to make it.

Reactions: savemefromtears

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It's been like this for years...nothing one can do.
I think with Arthur's drive (part of it not being drafted in rd 1) and his ramped up work ethic, started with the Kings strength coach, then the Hamilton strength coach, and working with the Kings dev
staff this Summer on seeing the ice and expanding on positional play - to add to an already ELITE shot, near elite playmaking ability (for an 18 yr old) and improved skating, and how he talks about working on his play in all 3 zones...he will have a good shot at making the Kings. Look at LW on the Kings...Iafallo, Kempe...? He should have a great chance to make it.
Right wing.

Reactions: savemefromtears

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Important to note that Kaliyev’s main line-mate since January (Jan Jenik) is out for the season (knee injury in Word Juniors). Incredible return tonight since coming back.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Good outing by Kaliyev tonight. He’s too good for the OHL at this point.

Niagara is a shell of a team after dealing Thomas and Tomasino. They are in full rebuild mode.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Important to note that Kaliyev’s main line-mate since January (Jan Jenik) is out for the season (knee injury in Word Juniors). Incredible return tonight since coming back.

The good news is Jan Mysak, who looked good substituting for Jenik in the WJC tourney, is leaving the Czech Republic and will join the Hamilton Bulldogs team, so hopefully that helps him maintain a good scoring pace. Mysak is only 17 though, and seems to be a top 20 pick in the upcoming draft.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I wonder if the Kings sign Arty soon. They signed Thomas in March, at the end of his junior season...but just recently signed Dudas. Makes me wonder if they have started talks getting
Arty signed. If he signs and Turcotte signs after this season, training camp will be loaded with young talent, trying to make the team (not that more than 1 or 2 may make it)
Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Thomas, JAD, Fagemo...These aren't the Wagners and Luffs of the world. Kupari would be in the mix, if not for the ligament surgery.
I hope Arty makes it. Would be a waste to play another OHL year.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The good news is Jan Mysak, who looked good substituting for Jenik in the WJC tourney, is leaving the Czech Republic and will join the Hamilton Bulldogs team, so hopefully that helps him maintain a good scoring pace. Mysak is only 17 though, and seems to be a top 20 pick in the upcoming draft.
Yeah hopefully Mysak arrives soon. The Bulldogs haven’t made an official announcement yet but Bob McKenzie and Allan Walsh (a player agent) have both tweeted that he’s coming. I assume they’re waiting on his visa to come play.

Mysak will be an interesting one. To start, I assume he’ll be on the 2nd line but once he adjusts to the NA ice, he will probably be up with Kaliyev.

Reactions: Statto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad