Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
giphy.gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
"A full AHL year away"

Is he going to bring this up all of next season when he's in the AHL?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
btw

Eichel scored 56 points as a rookie, 57 in 61 games his second year. Were the Sabres or Eichel better off with him in college? You can be better than a lot of guys and not be a complete player. Too much of this type of thinking has infected the Flyers lately, because they look at development as "are there things he can work on in the AHL?" as opposed to "is this guy, flaws and learning curve and all, better than the guy I'm playing?"

You can go back to Terry Murray saying Ghost flat out wasn't ready for the NHL five years ago. And then the post-hype narrative spread by Carchidi and others that those 14 games in LHV really changed him.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Hey now, the Dancing Fat Guy has turned a passion into a career. Years ago, he was just the Dancing Fat guy we all loathed to see on the overhead. Now, he's slimmed down quite a bit, got a better haircut, and also gets solid 1 on 1 time with Taryn Hatcher which all of our straight friends are jealous about. I think he's doing just fine for himself and I'm proud of him.
This is definitely the fat dancing guy

Reactions: landsbergfan

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kids don’t see the US Development Program/USHL/NCAA development route as some slow bake approach anymore. Thus why they’re not losing as many kids the CHL as they once did earlier in the decade.

Kids have seen guys like Eichel, Larkin, Trouba, Connor, Keller, etc. take these routes & rise quickly through the ranks with success every step of the way.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Phantoms coach Terry Murray not bashful giving scouting reports on 9 Flyers' AHL prospects

On if Gostisbehere's defensive game is good enough for the NHL:
"No, it's not good enough, and that's the part we've got to work on. That's the part where it's unfortunate that he's injured right now and he's missing this kind of learning year for him. He's gonna get better at that. Every one of these kids you're talking about, (Sam) Morin or (Mark) Alt ... all these kids have to get better in the checking part of the game. You gotta be able to be a reliable player at critical times of the game, and that's a process."

On if Gostisbehere will need more time in the minors next season:

"That's a long way away. If he's gonna be a good defending defenseman, he's gonna have to get some experience at a lower level because it's too costly at the big league. The games are too important. The points are too important. It's tough to develop young defensemen in an environment that is today in the NHL."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Murray was right on target, Ghost did miss a year of development, and he didn't become a decent defensive defenseman until his third NHL season. Sure, to some extent you can outscore your mistakes, but a lot of kids who are allowed to do so never become two way players and become overpriced liabilities (because they get paid based on scoring, not their contribution to winning games).

Farabee is fundamentally sound, same with Cates, you could see that watching the WJC-20, and his scoring was not "Hughes dependent," so it's no surprise that he took off once he acclimated to the college game.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm not saying the expectation should be Farabee making it out of camp next year. I feel somewhat comfortable knowing he'll get a shot under Fletcher. But he has the AHL option, unlike many other 19 year olds, and if he tears it up and gets a New Years call-up, no big deal. The need for a center is > wing anyway. So, hopefully Frost makes it.

BUT........time and again, kids with still maturing bodies but high end hockey sense and/or craftiness make the NHL against expectation and thrive. Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Marner, Pettersson, Bratt, Jokijarhu, Keller, DeBrincat, Girard, Aho, Konecny, Ehlers, Pastrnak, etc. That list includes a large swath of different positions, talent levels, player types. I'm not going to be the one surprised when Farabeesknees adapts quick to the pro game with players who can think/play at his level. He's not the normal underweight player anyway with his ability to win puck battles and read the play.

As I said yesterday, his season at BU is criminally underrated. Tkachuk at 18 had 31 points in 40 games and was 4th in points. You had players like Bowers with 32 points in 40 games; Harper with 21 points in 20 games. A lot of these same players have even regressed from last year: 21 points in 37 games for Bowers; 20 points in 38 games for Harper. Coaching is not pretty with Quinn leaving, and yet Farabee just put up ~point/game, led his team in points, and led the 2nd and 3rd place forwards by 10 and 15 points respectively. All while being a great 2-way player.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm not saying the expectation should be Farabee making it out of camp next year. I feel somewhat comfortable knowing he'll get a shot under Fletcher. But he has the AHL option, unlike many other 19 year olds, and if he tears it up and gets a New Years call-up, no big deal. The need for a center is > wing anyway. So, hopefully Frost makes it.

BUT........time and again, kids with still maturing bodies but high end hockey sense and/or craftiness make the NHL against expectation and thrive. Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Marner, Pettersson, Bratt, Jokijarhu, Keller, DeBrincat, Girard, Aho, Konecny, Ehlers, Pastrnak, etc. That list includes a large swath of different positions, talent levels, player types. I'm not going to be the one surprised when Farabeesknees adapts quick to the pro game with players who can think/play at his level. He's not the normal underweight player anyway with his ability to win puck battles and read the play.

As I said yesterday, his season at BU is criminally underrated. Tkachuk at 18 had 31 points in 40 games and was 4th in points. You had players like Bowers with 32 points in 40 games; Harper with 21 points in 20 games. A lot of these same players have even regressed from last year: 21 points in 37 games for Bowers; 20 points in 38 games for Harper. Coaching is not pretty with Quinn leaving, and yet Farabee just put up ~point/game, led his team in points, and led the 2nd and 3rd place forwards by 10 and 15 points respectively. All while being a great 2-way player.

Kjell Samuelsson hates you.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Different players have different time lines, Provorov was ready a lot faster than Sanheim or Myers.
Morin was a project, then injuries set him back further.

Lindblom was a dominant forward in the SHL at 20, yet he needed most of a season to adjust to NA hockey, didn't tear up the AHL.

And roles matter, it helped Barzal to break in with JT as the 1C, it'll be a lot easier for Farabee and Frost to break in on the 3rd line.
One reason to bolster the 4th line is to be able to create favorable matchups for your rookies, especially the first half of the season by having a 4th line that can be your 3rd line in some games. Laughton - veteran 4C - Hartman would be a solid 4th line.

Thing is if the Flyers bring in a veteran patch or two, by January who knows what player might step up in LHV and win a job, allowing Fletcher to move a player or two at the TDL to make room and add some more draft picks. Guys like Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubtsov, Laczynski, Kase, Laberge, Bunnaman . . .

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm very excited to see how Farabee transitions to the pros. I have absolutely no doubt he will be a good pro player -- it's just a matter of how soon he gets there. It could be very quickly -- he's that smart and competitive. His strength may be an issue at first, even though he's got natural wiry strength for his size.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Different players have different time lines, Provorov was ready a lot faster than Sanheim or Myers.
Morin was a project, then injuries set him back further.

Lindblom was a dominant forward in the SHL at 20, yet he needed most of a season to adjust to NA hockey, didn't tear up the AHL.

And roles matter, it helped Barzal to break in with JT as the 1C, it'll be a lot easier for Farabee and Frost to break in on the 3rd line.
One reason to bolster the 4th line is to be able to create favorable matchups for your rookies, especially the first half of the season by having a 4th line that can be your 3rd line in some games. Laughton - veteran 4C - Hartman would be a solid 4th line.

Thing is if the Flyers bring in a veteran patch or two, by January who knows what player might step up in LHV and win a job, allowing Fletcher to move a player or two at the TDL to make room and add some more draft picks. Guys like Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubtsov, Laczynski, Kase, Laberge, Bunnaman . . .
Problem is, if no one steps up until January, and you haven't added a middle-6 C, you run into the same problem as this season.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They don't need a top six center, ideally a veteran patch with the skills for 4C but good enough to center the 3rd line at times if you want to shelter Frost.

You have to ride Patrick, he's a top 6 talent, he has the work ethic and hockey IQ, he should continue filling out - he wasn't the #2 pick by accident, before he was injured he was the consensus #1 on merit. Who are you going to get who can approach his upside?

Same with Frost at 3C, he'll be 20, he's as ready as he's gonna be, he's one of the top five CHL forwards, what are you gonig to do, baby him forever?

You bring in a 4C as insurance while Rubtsov et al marinate, but not to sit these two.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
They don't need a top six center, ideally a veteran patch with the skills for 4C but good enough to center the 3rd line at times if you want to shelter Frost.

You have to ride Patrick, he's a top 6 talent, he has the work ethic and hockey IQ, he should continue filling out - he wasn't the #2 pick by accident, before he was injured he was the consensus #1 on merit. Who are you going to get who can approach his upside?

Same with Frost at 3C, he'll be 20, he's as ready as he's gonna be, he's one of the top five CHL forwards, what are you gonig to do, baby him forever?

You bring in a 4C as insurance while Rubtsov et al marinate, but not to sit these two.
Too big of a risk for a mediocre, non-playoff team to roll with Patrick and Frost as 2 and 3C, IMO, if they have any intentions of competing in an East with the likes of TB, Toronto, and Pitt. You just can't afford to be thin down the middle.

I start Frost at wing until he proves he deserves 2 or 3C. I'd strongly consider adding Duchene, and if someone can force him to wing, great. I'm not head over heels at the idea of adding a 4th line C. That's how you end up with Boyd Gordon -- overrating the impact a 4th line veteran actually makes. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Didn't he get fired after making a racist comment at a game?

If this is true, and as someone further down pointed out he made some racist comment, well then, I take back what I said about being proud of him and I hope for the absolute worst for him and all of his loved ones. You know, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I bet he sports a Confederate Flag on his truck and sits around skinhead gatherings bellowing, "DA SOUF WILL RIZE AGEN" like a bunch of f***ing redneck f***tards would bellow after consuming copious amounts of white trash beer like Bud Light while burning upside-down crosses.

f*** him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad