Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #14: Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP --> Boston U

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I got to think Frost is a lock, he was a consideration last year, and a year later, with added strength and experience, it's hard to imagine him not making the team - Thomas was successful at 19, and I'd think Frost is as good if not better, so at 20 I don't see a whole lot of risk. Plus he's a high IQ, two way player, so he can contribute immediately in a limited role.

Farabee is probably a matter of physical maturity, he's another skilled, smart two way player who should have no problem rapidly climbing the learning curve, they might start him at LHV to get his feet wet, but I'd expect him to be up by January. But TK made the team at 19, though it was a thinner squad, Farabee is smarter and has a far more rounded game.

Reactions: TheKingPin

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I got to think Frost is a lock, he was a consideration last year, and a year later, with added strength and experience, it's hard to imagine him not making the team - Thomas was successful at 19, and I'd think Frost is as good if not better, so at 20 I don't see a whole lot of risk. Plus he's a high IQ, two way player, so he can contribute immediately in a limited role.

Farabee is probably a matter of physical maturity, he's another skilled, smart two way player who should have no problem rapidly climbing the learning curve, they might start him at LHV to get his feet wet, but I'd expect him to be up by January. But TK made the team at 19, though it was a thinner squad, Farabee is smarter and has a far more rounded game.
Fletcher is going to add a center so it's going to be a LW spot they are likely battling for.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

How do you figure he was a consideration this past year. The way they treated him in camp. He was never making the team.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How do you figure he was a consideration this past year. The way they treated him in camp. He was never making the team.

They were concerned about his size and strength, not his ability to play in the NHL.
Frost tried to bulk up too fast, he got up to 185 lbs in the summer, but didn't look the same.
I think that's when Hextall decided he needed another year.
Not sure what he weighs now, but probably over 180 lbs of "real" weight, and has certainly raised his game over last year.

Frost isn't a guy who needs polish, either he's ready or he's not, but after this season in the CHL, it's hard to imagine him not getting a full shot for a top 9 slot.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Tbh I think Farabee is more NHL ready than Frost mainly because he can fill that bottom 6/PK role easily.

I think Frost will need more time to adapt to the speed of the game (decisions, space, time, lack there of).

Reactions: Curufinwe

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
What's being implied is that Farabee winning this award is indicative of an outstanding freshman season, which is a false narrative. He is the first ever forward to win this award not to score at a point-per-game rate.

For perspective... Kyle Connor won this award with 71 points in 36 games, and Andreas Nodl won this award with 46 points in 40 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It’s a real shame that an immature physically Farabee, relying on a massive 2nd half, outscored his next closest forwards by 10 and 15 points on a weak BU team under a new coach with widespread regression by the veterans.

If anything, this made Farabee look better than he actually was. It’s misleading teammate reliant point padding. Just like Tkachuk with an even worse points/game on a better team the year prior going off for a 50 point pace on the worst team in the NHL his next year.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
What's being implied is that Farabee winning this award is indicative of an outstanding freshman season, which is a false narrative. He is the first ever forward to win this award not to score at a point-per-game rate.

For perspective... Kyle Connor won this award with 71 points in 36 games, and Andreas Nodl won this award with 46 points in 40 games.
Nodl was 19 years old that season, not 18 like Farabee was this season. Kyle Connor's season was age 19 as well, but his numbers were historically good and to no one's surprise is an amazing NHL player.

And then of course it's not always about raw numbers, as Magua points out.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It’s a real shame that an immature physically Farabee, relying on a massive 2nd half, outscored his next closest forwards by 10 and 15 points on a weak BU team under a new coach with widespread regression by the veterans.

If anything, this made Farabee look better than he actually was. It’s misleading teammate reliant point padding. Just like Tkachuk with an even worse points/game on a better team the year prior going off for a 50 point pace on the worst team in the NHL his next year.
It was a weak freshman class, dummy. Quit trying to spin it

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017

note about Connor, he spent a year in the AHL after NCAA, so it wouldn't hurt Farabee to be a Phantom for a season

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Does anyone know if there’s tape of Farabee’s BU games out there?

Hoping he’s ready to play with Hayes and Voracek. Seems like a special player and Flyers top 9 really needs to be filled out with offensively dangerous players.

A reputable member of Flyers twitter is calling for Farabee to play with Giroux and Couturier, but personally would love to see
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Farabee-Hayes-Voracek
JVR-Patrick-Lindblom (comfortable on both sides)

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Does anyone know if there’s tape of Farabee’s BU games out there?

Hoping he’s ready to play with Hayes and Voracek. Seems like a special player and Flyers top 9 really needs to be filled out with offensively dangerous players.

He could absolutely be a great fit on a line with those two.

Reactions: Unger9

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Farabee could play anywhere with that skill set, he's supposedly now up to 180 lbs, still a bit slight, but a lot better than last year.

Camp will be interesting, Frost is certainly more physically ready than last year, Farabee is NHL ready though he could probably use 10 more lbs, Rubtsov plays a NHL game - and all three could start the season in the AHL!

Let's just say that I wouldn't advise Laughton or Pitlick to buy a house in the Philly area.

Reactions: Unger9

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
He could absolutely be a great fit on a line with those two.

A few days ago Meltzer said his guess is Pitlick will start the season in the top 9. I hear good things about Pitlick, but the Flyers really need Frost or Farabee to be ready. The consensus seems to be Farabee is a half step closer than Frost. I can see Farabee translating to The Show immediately given how well rounded and cerebral he is.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A few days ago Meltzer said his guess is Pitlick will start the season in the top 9. I hear good things about Pitlick, but the Flyers really need Frost or Farabee to be ready. The consensus seems to be Farabee is a half step closer than Frost. I can see Farabee translating to The Show immediately given how well rounded and cerebral he is.

Let's not get into that awful prediction..it was already discussed ad nauseum here and will be an extremely unpopular move if it happens. He's a 4th line talent, any way you slice it.

As for Frost vs Farabee, I am honestly not sure which is more ready. Both had fantastic seasons in their respective leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad