Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #14: Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP --> Boston U

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I saw Hartnell in the KOP mall once. We made eye contact, and he realized I realized who he was. He immediately turned away, which is fine because he was out shopping he didn’t wanna be bothered so I didn’t bother him. Kind of feel bad for those kinds of guys especially the superstars you can’t even go out and buy themselves groceries without getting stopped in the street
My brother was convinced he saw Antero Niittymaki at KoP when we we spent the weekend in Philly for the Carnival back in 2006. I didn't see the guy so I can't say if it really was him or not.

I made about two seconds of eye contact with Tomas Kundratek (former Bear who played a few games in the NHL) at the Hershey Outlets about six years ago now. There was another time before that I was sure I saw Cody Eakin at the Ralph Lauren store there but I'm not so sure anymore if it was him, lol.

But yeah. I'd never go out of my way to bother these guys if I saw them in public, especially if they're with family or something. I choose to bother them through the mail instead.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I've bumped into a few Flyers on the street and have always at least chirped them, but I think it was acceptable.

While walking home I bumped into Sean O'Donnel walking on the street. Stopped to say hello, say I was a fan and welcome to the city. Probably lasted all of 10 seconds, which may have been 7 seconds too long for him, but I might've shuck his hand then yelled at him good luck in the next game.
Hindrance factor - 4/10

Saw Razor and Carter at Tavern on Broad the Cup run year, either late in season or early playoffs. Carter was still in a boot, this is post Razor getting his initial hip injury. The two of them were off to the side, had a section of the bar kinda of VIP sectioned off. After spotting Razor first, I finally get the gumption (my friend didn't have the nerve to approach them) to walk over, introduce myself and tell him to heal quickly, I'm a fan, keep up the good representation and good luck. Carter, a few feet further back and not at all looking interested I say hello to and wish him a quick recovery too. I could tell Razor appreciated it though. He was leary of me walking over in the bar, but our brief chat he had warmed up. I didn't linger beyond the well wishes.
Hindrance factor - 6/10 (Carter...)

After the trade to Lumbus, I saw Scott Hartnell in the streets during lunch time in Old City. He is so recognizable. I yelled at him across the street, didn't approach him, he seemed to be busy. He was kind enough to listen to me yell Hartnell down, that I bought a t-shirt for the the cause and good luck in Lumbus, except against the Flyers. I waved, and he waved back.
Hindrance factor - 2/10

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My brother was convinced he saw Antero Niittymaki at KoP when we we spent the weekend in Philly for the Carnival back in 2006. I didn't see the guy so I can't say if it really was him or not.

I made about two seconds of eye contact with Tomas Kundratek (former Bear who played a few games in the NHL) at the Hershey Outlets about six years ago now. There was another time before that I was sure I saw Cody Eakin at the Ralph Lauren store there but I'm not so sure anymore if it was him, lol.

But yeah. I'd never go out of my way to bother these guys if I saw them in public, especially if they're with family or something. I choose to bother them through the mail instead.

Bernie Parent and I shop at the same grocery store. True story :laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The real, but I wish it was both :laugh:

I only bothered him one time for a handshake. Both he and his wife were very nice. She's way younger than him but still probably in her early 50s.

It would be fun just for the shopping-cart races, but that would be one heck of a commute for you just for groceries. And to nip further speculation from @WheresMySnare's comment, I don't do gyms.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I saw Hartnell in the KOP mall once. We made eye contact, and he realized I realized who he was. He immediately turned away

I'm sure you played it off totally normal.....

1921yZJ.gif

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I rubbed elbows with Ryan Howard in VIP at some club in the city. He had 3 Asian girls there with him and were all smoke shows. I gave him a nod but didn't bother him.

Also another Howard story that I wasn't there for but my friends were in the city for a birthday and ran into him. He was coming back from the bathroom and one of my cronies stopped him and asked him for a huge favor. Howard laughed and gave a "ok lets hear it" reaction. My friend pointed over to my friend whose birthday it was and asked Howard if he could go over and tap him on the shoulder and tell him he's a huge fan. He looks over and sees him and starts cracking up because the birthday boy is about 5' tall, bald, and goofy looking. Great guy nonetheless but he is a goofy bastard.... kinda looks like a mix of Bruce Willis and Mini Me. Anyway Howard assures my friend that he'll do it by nights end. As the night progresses Howard sees me buddy on his way out and he reminds him of the favor. Howard goes over and taps him on the shoulder... mind you the birthday boy is f***ing smashed. He turns around, Howard says "hey man I'm a big fan" and the birthday boy looks at him one eyed and goes "f*** you". Howard just turns and walks away laughing. All time story, hopefully I described it good enough through text.

Saw Iverson playing 3 card poker with his mom in AC as I was leaving. It was around 4am and my buddy who is that typical star struck idiot wanted to go over to bother him and tell him how awesome he was. He went for it and I proceeded to the parking garage.

Saw a bunch of Eagles and Steelers players at a bar in the city after a preseason game. McNabb was with them and he was a brick shit house in person.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Shane Bowers is signing a contract today too. So the mass exodus continues for BU.

Harper & Cockerill are the only noteworthy kids really left on the team at this point & both their production dropped by a noticeable margin this year like Bowers.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Saw a bunch of Eagles and Steelers players at a bar in the city after a preseason game. McNabb was with them and he was a brick **** house in person.

I was at media day for the first Eagles-Pats Super Bowl, and I saw McNabb run up to John Lynch and give him a big bear hug. The thing I noted was that Lynch is a pretty big guy for normal human standards, and McNabb looked like he was twice as big. He was definitely bigger than some of the defensive linemen on the team.

Reactions: Peter Man

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I took a date to Lucky Strikes years ago, 2008'ish? McNabb was with a group of other very large human beings, recognized one other Eagle. She had no idea who they were, I approached and they kinda got quiet and just stared me down, so I stopped, said something lame like, good luck in the game Sunday, got a head nod and they stared me down walking away. McNabb is a large large individual, and that's before he retired and got fat.

Didn't know what to expect, whateve's.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I took a date to Lucky Strikes years ago, 2008'ish? McNabb was with a group of other very large human beings, recognized one other Eagle. She had no idea who they were, I approached and they kinda got quiet and just stared me down, so I stopped, said something lame like, good luck in the game Sunday, got a head nod and they stared me down walking away. McNabb is a large large individual, and that's before he retired and got fat.

Didn't know what to expect, whateve's.

Imagine you're a football player, hanging out with your friends, and well meaning fans kept interrupting you all night (and imagine if you were making the moves on a hot babe and a fan came up . . . ).

Would you get annoyed after a while? Do people bug you all the time when you're relaxing at a bar after work?

On the one hand, being a celebrity is why they get paid, on the other hand, they are people, and young, fairly naive people at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad