Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
This is true but this boils down to is Boldy and or Caufield going to be high impact forwards. if they do and York is just a top 4 dman then this was beyond horrible. if he becomes a stud Fletcher will be right(and I do like the player he has a big upside on d but not sure if he has elite upside). Its over moving on
I don't necessarily agree with that depending on what you mean by ''high impact.'' If they become legit first liners maybe. If they are 2nd liners not so much. I see people talking about York as a mobile 3 or 4 some day as if it's a bad thing. I was never enamored with Boldy. Seems like a guy who is very good and super solid but not exactly dynamic. I wanted Caufield but York could turn out to be a very good player.

Reactions: hatcher

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
False.

Internet hoax.

Plus no one from Michigan State would let his son attend Michigan and vice versa

64306726_2255702587811313_3273498281109194730_n.jpg

U.S. National Under-18 Team - 2018-19 Regular Season - Roster - #2 - Cam York - D

HOCKEY RELATED QUESTIONS

Favorite NHL player: Nick Leddy

Most memorable moment: Winning the National Championship Bantam year

LIFESTYLE QUESTIONS

Three famous dinner invitees:
Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian and Auston Matthews

What celebrity would you carpool karaoke with? Kim Kardashian

ADDITIONAL NOTES
  • Son of Jeff and Teri York
  • Has two brothers — Garrett (21) and Cole (20).
  • Won silver at the IIHF U18 World Championship
  • Won the World U17 Hockey Challenge
  • Eligible for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft
Yeah, but you wanted it to be true. :p:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd say 2 years in college, then maybe has a chance to make the NHL. But he's not raw; he's pretty mature, if anything, minus some defense technique. It's possible he could turn pro to the AHL after 1 year. Then who knows.

But he's not a D+4 player, that's for sure.
Got it. Thanks.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
In his defense he was really good at the U-18's as well. Comments being made about if Boldy, Caufield, Krebs weren't available and you landed York that we would be pretty excited are true (unfortunately they were available lol).

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He was born in 2001!?

Seems like this could serve us well for the expansion draft. Cole would have been nice. Just not a flyer like player unfortunately. The habs on the other hand, a perfect fit.

It’s obvious D was undervalued in initial rankings. Arizona trading up to take a guy ranked later is pretty telling.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know little to nothing about most of these kids, but I like that Fletch made a value play for an extra pick.

Fletch is really hit or miss with me. Hard not to judge his Minnesota moves with his first moves with the Flyers, but I am trying to only looks at these moves in a Flyers vacuum.

Tough to say how I feel right now. Probably will have a pretty clear picture of where his head is at after the first few days of free agency.
Yeah, I like getting back a 2nd. It would’ve annoyed me if they did it and passed on great prospects just for a crazy reach, but this doesn’t look like that. They still got an appropriate player.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
From Pronman's draft rankings for the Athletic:
Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects
16. Cam York, D, USNTDP-USHL
Jan. 5, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 176 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40
Hockey Sense: 60

York was the No. 1 defenseman on the NTDP this past season, the main power play QB for most of the season and had one of the most productive statistical careers ever by an NTDP defender. York’s hockey sense is what makes him so valuable. His poise with the puck is fantastic. He’s never pressured into bad decisions and exhibits great vision. His teammates constantly praise what a calming influence he is when he has the puck. York has a high skill level but often does not lean on his stick handling, preferring to make a play to his forwards. York skates well. He lacks a dynamic top gear you’d like in a small defenseman, but he can skate pucks out of trouble or into the offensive zone. He defends well due to his feet and great brain, but it will be interesting to see how that translates versus men, as I wouldn’t call him a top-tier defender.

USNTDP center Jack Hughes on York: “He’s such a smart player, so steady and never in the wrong position. He moves the puck quick. His first pass is always on the tape. He can skate the puck up and shoot it. He’s a real good defender, too.”

Reactions: flyersjim73

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I don't necessarily agree with that depending on what you mean by ''high impact.'' If they become legit first liners maybe. If they are 2nd liners not so much. I see people talking about York as a mobile 3 or 4 some day as if it's a bad thing. I was never enamored with Boldy. Seems like a guy who is very good and super solid but not exactly dynamic. I wanted Caufield but York could turn out to be a very good player.

I watched the U-18's closely because of where our pick was in the draft. Boldy, Krebs, Newhook and Caufield were all unbelievable talents. I think all 4 can be quality top 3-6 forwards. York could be a top 2 dman as well he was really good but with d there a little harder to project unless their top end picks like Dahlin that just spew high end talent. I did like York more than Soderstrom or Broberg but I had limited viewing of the swedes. Byram is a stud

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I like Farabee, Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubstov and Frost and all could be top 3/6 forwards but truthfully will be lucky if 2 or 3 end up really being that maybe only 1 will. So if you have the chance to land a kid that can be a first line forward or at worst a 2nd line forward I think you go for it. Upside face of franchise that right now we don't definitively have a (replacement for G) and downside he's a 2nd line forward. In this draft in particular imo it would have been worth it to take the risk on the upside player that we currently don't have as opposed to the young top 4 dman that we have an abundance of in Provy, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I know little to nothing about most of these kids, but I like that Fletch made a value play for an extra pick.

Fletch is really hit or miss with me. Hard not to judge his Minnesota moves with his first moves with the Flyers, but I am trying to only looks at these moves in a Flyers vacuum.

Tough to say how I feel right now. Probably will have a pretty clear picture of where his head is at after the first few days of free agency.
Not sure they will be active at this point. There’s not much cap space left.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I like our pick. Trading down, getting a mid 2nd, I can see forward their.
A California guy. The flyers have gone heavy as has the recent trend of nabbing high picks from USNDP. The Americans have caught up to Canada in hockey, but we have a secret plan to infiltrate the NBA with our Northern Talent.
I get to watch him on Big Ten Network, and Detroit news.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
I've got a question. What makes people think this pick means the flyers move a dman? Are they expecting this kid to play this year? Braun is gone after this year and niskanen is gone after next, so why do the Flyers move a dman?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Is there any service that had him ranked outside the first round?

Someone else was comparing this to the JOB pick, and I don't see that at all.

I meant if youre targeting a 2nd pair offensive dman, you can get one in the 3rd round.

A top 15 pick? You gotta go for most upside...and York doesnt have it. And even if he does...hes not gonna hit it here behind Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, and Ghost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad