Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm disappointed but not shocked at all. It doesn't matter who is running the Flyers they don't like players like Caufield.

I'll take comfort in that when we face Chicago in the SCF again and Debrincat scores the Cup clinching goal on us instead of Kane.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
From Future Considerations:

V2wHm9z.png

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well, I had Caufield & Krebs ahead of him, but I really like York. Had him as my 3rd D behind Byram & Soderstrom & 3rd available behind Caufield & Krebs at 14. He’s a really good player & Love getting pick 45.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I just kind of think that choosing a defenseman on a team with a bunch of defensive prospects, is Fletcher going to trade one of his current defensemen? When he needs a good goal scorer, why did he pass up Caufield?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It comes down to need and quality.

Caufield was the "sexy" pick, but I think he fell not just due to his size, but his one dimensional play.
Yes, he'll score. But the NHL is swinging back to tighter checking with full sized fast forwards, and the windows will be smaller in the future. The question is how much will he score?
If he becomes a consistent 40 goal scorer, yes, they blew it, but if he's a 30 goal scorer, he's probably a liability.
Note that DeBrincat had a E +/- -2.2, his value is strictly his shot. 18.6% S% is hard to sustain.

York is a safe pick that gives the Flyers another "modern" era D-man, he should fill out to close to 5'11 200, play two way hockey, control the pace of the game, set up teammates. Another player who'll be easy to "fit" in different pairs.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I’m with the majority that I’m frustrated they didn’t go Caufield. Don’t dislike the actual pick and if Cole wasn’t on the board I’d be all in, but it is what it is. Hopefully he develops into a great defenseman and we get some value out of 45.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I like york. He was the dman i felt most comfortable with if we went with one. But this pick is just a taste of what is to come under fletcher. Time and again he has show he is unwilling to draft high upside guys and prefers low ceiling safe players.
Then he is the perfect man to run the Flyers scouting department who have been taking those type of players for years.

Reactions: freakydallas13

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
There was only ONE player on the board at #14 that I'd wager would definitely (well, not definitely) be better than York. That was Caufield. Of course they passed on Boldy at #11 too, who I really wanted. But the value was still good. Then you have reaches with question marks or similar tier guys like Krebs. There's no easy answer there.

York isn't an elite skater, but his 4-way mobility and quickness/agility is close to plus. He is incredibly poised with the puck; zero panic finding an outlet, can skate it if need be, very tight puck handles to evade forecheckers or make blue line moves. Very nifty, creative passer. Not a guy who takes over games. More a puck mover and distributor and play controller. His shot is legitimately bad though (think Ty Smith from last year in general as a comp). Very aggressive at the blue line, good stick; not bad in his own end. Just can puck watch or lose focus. Not big, but not small in stature or play. Natural PP QB. Just very above average across the board as a modern defenseman.

You can be bitter with the draft board, but Cam York is going to be a really strong player. That's most important, when you let the emotions subside.
I was waiting for you to tell me how to feel.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Well, I had Caufield & Krebs ahead of him, but I really like York. Had him as my 3rd D behind Byram & Soderstrom & 3rd available behind Caufield & Krebs at 14. He’s a really good player & Love getting pick 45.
If they hadn't have passed on Caufield I would really like the pick/move. I said the other day they needed a young stud D prospect much more than another forward and York seems like a perfect Ghost replacement down the road.

Like you said, getting York AND 45 out of the 11th pick is excellent asset management. Considering they passed on Caufield twice and Boldy once I think it's safe to say they targeted York specifically and knew they could get him by moving down three spots.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We can trade Hagg and Ghost.

Ginning-York. Y'all ready for this?

I hear ya. I just think they passed on a kid that will score 40 goals for a 2/3 Dman and that just pisses me off.

Would it help if I'd say his upside is more 2nd pair, PP1/2? :laugh:

Did he impress at the WJC-18? I see had 11 points in 7 games.

I can't say I've ever had a bad York viewing. He's just so consistent. He also played on a ridiculously stacked team, with the benefit of most of his passes getting finished, hence his raw stats.

You can watch his WJC-18 highlight reel below, but most of the plays he makes are nice, efficient ones, mixing in a highlight play. He's not Quinn Hughes. Like I said, think Ty Smith/Samuel Girard.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just kind of think that choosing a defenseman on a team with a bunch of defensive prospects, is Fletcher going to trade one of his current defensemen? When he needs a good goal scorer, why did he pass up Caufield?

Why do people still think the Flyers prospect pool is slanted towards dmen?

Frost and Farabee are the top two prospects alongside Myers, who should be a full time NHL player in 19-20 and will NOT be ED-exempt, unlike Frost and Farabee.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I like york. He was the dman i felt most comfortable with if we went with one. But this pick is just a taste of what is to come under fletcher. Time and again he has show he is unwilling to draft high upside guys and prefers low ceiling safe players.

Are scouting staff is almost all the same, the same group and Hexy didn’t want Debrincat either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad