Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Looking at just the player, not the context of the pick, I think this was a good one.

Seems like he'll be a good player and we did definitely need a player like this in the prospect pool (although drafting for need is never good, so hopefully that's not what they were focused on).

Argument could be made he was the BPA tho

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
F7FC76CB-FA10-4A9E-9F28-891A26D99DEE.jpeg

Shut the f*** up, Carchidi. He’s seriously the Pierre McGuire of Philly beat writers.

I’m warming up to the pick though. Let’s say when he’s ready to play, Ghost could be older and moved out/and York will definitely fit in as our 3/4.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
View attachment 239131
Shut the **** up, Carchidi. He’s seriously the Pierre McGuire of Philly beat writers.

I’m warming up to the pick though. Let’s say when he’s ready to play, Ghost could be older and moved out/and York will definitely fit in as our 3/4.

An American player played roller hockey growing up. Shocking.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
View attachment 239131
Shut the **** up, Carchidi. He’s seriously the Pierre McGuire of Philly beat writers.

The face of a player realizing already how f***ing dumb our reporters are.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I like york. He was the dman i felt most comfortable with if we went with one. But this pick is just a taste of what is to come under fletcher. Time and again he has show he is unwilling to draft high upside guys and prefers low ceiling safe players.
That's a flyers mentality that predates Chuck, he just makes it worse.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

False.

Internet hoax.

Plus no one from Michigan State would let his son attend Michigan and vice versa

64306726_2255702587811313_3273498281109194730_n.jpg

U.S. National Under-18 Team - 2018-19 Regular Season - Roster - #2 - Cam York - D

HOCKEY RELATED QUESTIONS

Favorite NHL player: Nick Leddy

Most memorable moment: Winning the National Championship Bantam year

LIFESTYLE QUESTIONS

Three famous dinner invitees:
Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian and Auston Matthews

What celebrity would you carpool karaoke with? Kim Kardashian

ADDITIONAL NOTES
  • Son of Jeff and Teri York
  • Has two brothers — Garrett (21) and Cole (20).
  • Won silver at the IIHF U18 World Championship
  • Won the World U17 Hockey Challenge
  • Eligible for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're going to be a top ten goal scoring team with our current group of forwards for a long time.
Our problem last year was defense, especially forward defense.

Reactions: Devonator

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
View attachment 239131

York: My dad built a roller hockey rink in my backyard. That was, like, pretty cool.

Carchidi: What was your dad's name?

York: Uh. Why?

Carchidi:
volf2ta.png

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Why do people still think the Flyers prospect pool is slanted towards dmen?

Frost and Farabee are the top two prospects alongside Myers, who should be a full time NHL player in 19-20 and will NOT be ED-exempt, unlike Frost and Farabee.
Their top five forward prospects are Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov and probably O'Brien or Vorobyev.

Their top five D prospects were a gigantic collection of average. Friedman, Zamula, Klaynuk, Ginning, St. Ivany, etc. Adding York to the mix was a good thing.

Since they elected to go for need over pure value I am glad they at least traded down in the process and got a solid pick with 45.

Reactions: lancer247

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Firstly, we should've known the ginger would be taken. Just thank the lord he's not an Owen Tippett ginger.

Secondly, York like basically every NTDP d-man and especially with his skill-set, should be able to play both sides pretty smoothly. I do love adding more NTDP players.

We went so long between JVR & Farabee last year I figured we had some bias against it. Now only Finland owns that lone title.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If they hadn't have passed on Caufield I would really like the pick/move. I said the other day they needed a young stud D prospect much more than another forward and York seems like a perfect Ghost replacement down the road.

Like you said, getting York AND 45 out of the 11th pick is excellent asset management. Considering they passed on Caufield twice and Boldy once I think it's safe to say they targeted York specifically and knew they could get him by moving down three spots.
This is true but this boils down to is Boldy and or Caufield going to be high impact forwards. if they do and York is just a top 4 dman then this was beyond horrible. if he becomes a stud Fletcher will be right(and I do like the player he has a big upside on d but not sure if he has elite upside). Its over moving on

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Firstly, we should've known the ginger would be taken. Just thank the lord he's not an Owen Tippett ginger.

Secondly, York like basically every NTDP d-man and especially with his skill-set, should be able to play both sides pretty smoothly. I do love adding more NTDP players.
Could he be NHL ready in 2020-2021?

Reactions: WCSGarrett

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Didn't Fletcher say that he was going to rely on the scouts heavily this draft? Clearly Flyers scouts identified York as the best player available for them. It's not awful by any stretch of the imagination and Nature Boy gave a hint in his interview that defense was the target. Just imagine how bat shit crazy everyone would be if it were Kaliyev that were the pick......

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It comes down to need and quality.

Caufield was the "sexy" pick, but I think he fell not just due to his size, but his one dimensional play.
Yes, he'll score. But the NHL is swinging back to tighter checking with full sized fast forwards, and the windows will be smaller in the future. The question is how much will he score?
If he becomes a consistent 40 goal scorer, yes, they blew it, but if he's a 30 goal scorer, he's probably a liability.
Note that DeBrincat had a E +/- -2.2, his value is strictly his shot. 18.6% S% is hard to sustain.

York is a safe pick that gives the Flyers another "modern" era D-man, he should fill out to close to 5'11 200, play two way hockey, control the pace of the game, set up teammates. Another player who'll be easy to "fit" in different pairs.
What we are seeing here is that AV/the Flyers are looking for guys that can play well over the entire rink. IDK if Caufield can do that. Odds are that York will do that better.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I know little to nothing about most of these kids, but I like that Fletch made a value play for an extra pick.

Fletch is really hit or miss with me. Hard not to judge his Minnesota moves with his first moves with the Flyers, but I am trying to only looks at these moves in a Flyers vacuum.

Tough to say how I feel right now. Probably will have a pretty clear picture of where his head is at after the first few days of free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad