Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
wiezQKr.jpg

hey if he turns out to be anything like Giordano, we'll be in very good shape.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'm glad I'm not alone here in wanting Caufield. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a Flyers draft. It is not so much that York isn't a decent prospect, but he seems like he would top out at a 3-4 dman. So, he will be useful in 4 years, sort of like a Sanheim trajectory when we could have swung for the fences with Caufield who could be a 40 goal scorer. You don't see talent like that drop this far in a draft that often, and we went for the bunt to get a man on first.

Granted, you get a man on base, but if Caufield pans out, I will hate Fletcher with a hatred that will never be resolved.

But please, if I am wrong, remind me of how I always wanted Caufield instead of York. I hope I am wrong.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'm glad I'm not alone here in wanting Caufield. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a Flyers draft. It is not so much that York isn't a decent prospect, but he seems like he would top out at a 3-4 dman. So, he will be useful in 4 years, sort of like a Sanheim trajectory when we could have swung for the fences with Caufield who could be a 40 goal scorer. You don't see talent like that drop this far in a draft that often, and we went for the bunt to get a man on first.

Granted, you get a man on base, but if Caufield pans out, I will hate Fletcher with a hatred that will never be resolved.

But please, if I am wrong, remind me of how I always wanted Caufield instead of York. I hope I am wrong.

I wanted Caufield in the worst way. This team had a shot to hit a home run and got a single. And every move just feels safe and singles. 2 and 3 Braun is a safe single. Hayes is an overpay for a nice no 2c.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I guess Fletcher wanted a guy who will never be a concern in the salary department. I guess there's that. Paying a 40 goal scorer would be costly, but a #4 d-man who won't be in the NHL for 4 years is a safe way to keep from having cap concerns.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I wanted Caufield in the worst way. This team had a shot to hit a home run and got a single. And every move just feels safe and singles. 2 and 3 Braun is a safe single. Hayes is an overpay for a nice no 2c.

Yeah - I see a return to the early 2000s where the Flyers are good enough to make the playoffs, but never a top contender for the Cup. I think Philly fans like it that way. They don't have the patience to weigh cost and jump the gun and ruin long term plan for short term B+ teams. But hey, at least we tried!

Assuming we make the playoffs from here on out for a while, we will be stuck with picks in the 20s where you hit for the single because there are no homerun balls to swing at.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

That's how I feel. It sounds like he has the tools to be a solid NHL dman in a few years...but not a top pair guy. It was a safe pick...which seems to be Fletchers way. Go the safe way....but it is getting old.

After this disaster season itd be nice to see a swing for the fences type pick.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I guess Fletcher wanted a guy who will never be a concern in the salary department. I guess there's that. Paying a 40 goal scorer would be costly, but a #4 d-man who won't be in the NHL for 4 years is a safe way to keep from having cap concerns.
I think it had a lot to do in an expansion draft. Seattle could take ghost or Myers. York can hopefully takeover for them. It would likely be too costly to have them not take one of these two. Plus we have a ton of forwards and forward prospects. Frost and farabee alone offer a lot of skill.

Reactions: Devonator

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
"MAN f*** THE FLYERS AND THEIR DRAFT BOARD, PUTTING SOME MIDDLE PAIR DEFENSEMAN OVER A 70+ GOAL SCORER"

Yeah that's a justifyable opinion. I wanted Caufield too.

"MAYBE THIS TEAM SHOULD PICK WHAT THE FANS WANT INSTEAD"

....actually on second thought, i feel really good about the York pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, not taking Caufield could cost us the Cup.
I mean look how dominant the Blackhawks were with Kane and DeBrincat!

Reactions: Norze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad