Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

Northern Force

Jun 21, 2019
Not at all an awful pick. A lot of positives from playing on such a star studded team (keeping in mind the inflated stats) but can't say I'm not rattled passing on Cole and Krebs both.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
This is a terrible pick. Yorks the kinda guy you draft in the 3rd round not 14th overall.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There was only ONE player on the board at #14 that I'd wager would definitely (well, not definitely) be better than York. That was Caufield. Of course they passed on Boldy at #11 too, who I really wanted. But the value was still good. Then you have reaches with question marks or similar tier guys like Krebs. There's no easy answer there.

York isn't an elite skater, but his 4-way mobility and quickness/agility is close to plus. He is incredibly poised with the puck; zero panic finding an outlet, can skate it if need be, very tight puck handles to evade forecheckers or make blue line moves. Very nifty, creative passer. Not a guy who takes over games. More a puck mover and distributor and play controller. His shot is legitimately bad though (think Ty Smith from last year in general as a comp). Very aggressive at the blue line, good stick; not bad in his own end. Just can puck watch or lose focus. Not big, but not small in stature or play. Natural PP QB. Just very above average across the board as a modern defenseman.

You can be bitter with the draft board, but Cam York is going to be a really strong player. That's most important, when you let the emotions subside.

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This is a terrible pick. Yorks the kinda guy you draft in the 3rd round not 14th overall.

You’d be disappointed trying to draft him in the third when he went in the mid-first.

I just don’t get us going for D. So many great forward prospects and a couple exactly fitting our needs. Chuck was so close to finally doing something I approved of.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Is there any service that had him ranked outside the first round?

Someone else was comparing this to the JOB pick, and I don't see that at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad