Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A more interesting question is Florida all in on Bob?
You draft Knight, he's pretty much going to start in 3 years, but Bob probably wants a 7yr, big money deal.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Braun isn’t a beaten up POS & the Flyers clearly had York rated equally or better than the guys who went 11-16.

The former is debatable, and while I completely agree with the latter, it has no bearing on my point. The two deals aren’t linked. We could have still done the deal with Arizona but not the deal with SJ, and then we’d have 14, 41, 45, and our 2030 3rd. In short, no, it’s not like we got Braun for free.

Caress of Steel

Oct 1, 2018
Delaware
Hey, Justin Williams Too. And Mike Richards. I get it - maybe we are better at drafting in the 20s. But this is a guy who was on everybody's top 10 list. Giroux, Williams, and Gagne were not. We swung for the single and happened to hit it out of the park.

I also get Caufield might flop. But with his talent and the way the NHL is going, this guy has the tools. The only question was size. Maybe he'll be the next Drouin, but he might be Debrincat - he has that type of pedigree. York has Torey Krug pedigree. I like Krug, but when was the last time the Flyers had a 40 goal scorer? 2009 with Carter?

None of our prospects look to be monster scorers. It would be nice to at least hope to have one.

I always like the draft because it is the one time I can think the Flyers have hope, where I can live in La-la land and think the player we got will be the next surprise or next great Flyer. Of course, it is an illusion, but I like to fool myself. Having a guy like Caufield gives me 3 months where I think the team will be great. Fletcher robbed me of that illusion. Maybe I should thank him for keeping me from getting hopes up and facing reality. So, really, it is just a personal problem.

He was picked 15th. How does that equate to being "on everybody's top 10 list" ?

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Caufield is the flavor of the month, but notice he not only went #15, but no one traded up for him.
If he was truly a consensus top 10, someone would have made a move to get him.
And after Gaudreau and DeBrincat, I doubt size by itself is the reason.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The former is debatable, and while I completely agree with the latter, it has no bearing on my point. The two deals aren’t linked. We could have still done the deal with Arizona but not the deal with SJ, and then we’d have 14, 41, 45, and our 2030 3rd. In short, no, it’s not like we got Braun for free.
It absolutely matters. The Flyers don’t see Braun as a Kia to begin with, let alone a broken down one.
And the Flyers don’t view York as a lesser model than those drafted around him.
Plus, people need one car; NHL teams need a lot of them.
What this all boils down to, as usual, is opinion. You simply think lesser of Braun & York than the Flyers do.

Reactions: jra173 and hatcher

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I was searching Youtube for the video to "Bury Your Critical Thinking, Be Pollyanna" but I couldn't find it.

YVr4urH.gif

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Harley has much better physical tools to me and if he's not as good of a passer as York is, he's right there with him. Better skater. 6'3 and probably still growing. 7+ months younger. Smart too.

I'm fine with York though. He's a good player. More polished. He should be ready for pro hockey sooner.

idgaf about physical tools when comparing skill level. We have myers, morin, provorov, and even sanheim who are pretty physical. York is more talented and more dynamic than harley. York is the 2nd best dynamic dman in the draft.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
York reminds me of Letang. Which is a good thing. I like him a lot more than Harley, personally.

Reactions: jra173

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It absolutely matters. The Flyers don’t see Braun as a Kia to begin with, let alone a broken down one.
And the Flyers don’t view York as a lesser model than those drafted around him.
Plus, people need one car; NHL teams need a lot of them.
What this all boils down to, as usual, is opinion. You simply think lesser of Braun & York than the Flyers do.

tenor.gif

You can't be this dense. It doesn't really matter whether or not Braun is a Kia. He can be an Escalade or whatever f***ing car you want; 11 & 14 can both be Teslas. It's of no consequence.

Imagine an alternate universe where we make the Arizona deal but not the San Jose deal. We now have 14, 41, 45 & our 2020 3rd, rather than 14, 45, & Justin Braun. If you'll notice, 41 and our 2020 3rd have magically disappeared in our universe. Guess why? (Hint: It's because we traded those to SJ for Braun's services.) In other words, we didn't get Braun for free!

Also, one last thing, I have no problem with the York pick and I'm not sure why you assumed I did.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
While I do like Caufield, the gap between Caufield and Brink is a hell of a lot closer than the canyon between York and whichever dman we would have likely selected in the 2nd had we not taken York in the 1st.

Fletcher worked the board like a magician. Coming out of here with arguably 2 top 20 rated prospects.

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
How does a 18 years old who has never played in the NHL can end Ghost time with the Flyers? Who knows what this team will look like when he becomes a top-4 (assuming it does happen).
York and Ghost are just such similar players that it doesn’t make sense to keep them both. Both are offensively minded LHD, neither are the best skater around in terms of straight speed, but are explosive in all 4 directions. I hope I’m wrong when I say that picking York means a Ghost trade, but Chuck may have something in mind. Good or bad

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
York and Ghost are just such similar players that it doesn’t make sense to keep them both. Both are offensively minded LHD, neither are the best skater around in terms of straight speed, but are explosive in all 4 directions. I hope I’m wrong when I say that picking York means a Ghost trade, but Chuck may have something in mind. Good or bad

What are you talking about? seriously. York isn't stepping into the NHL this season, he isn't going to make the roster. How does that possibly affect Ghost. Infact, it's likely that York isn't ready for 3 seasons from now.

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Cam York is fine, solid player, but Caufield was right there. I know the defense pool is empty, but did they really need another high-end D prospect? Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers can be a Top 4 for a decade. I think Friedman can be a plus bottom pair guy, etc. Considering they traded up for Brink, its probably true they had York > Caufield on talent alone and not a dumb size thing.

The Flyers have shown they just don't value "sniper" type players from an org viewpoint and I think that's a crippling mistake

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
eh he is a great skater no doubt but he makes way too many mistakes. I don't like how they handled their defense. They should've kept theodore and montour and traded/got rid of fowler. He isn't great on the pp and been a pretty bad possession player despite being on good teams. Getting rid of theodore was a bad move.
He was developed under a terrible coach in Carlyle though and was rushed too early into the NHL and the teams he's played for lack speed, York won't have to deal with that situation.
Big differences i see is York is not soft like Fowler, he will drop a hit sometimes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
We really need to get away from the idea that having two of a good thing is a problem.

They are probably going to lose a dman in the next two seasons. They took who they thought was the best player in that range.

idgaf about physical tools when comparing skill level. We have myers, morin, provorov, and even sanheim who are pretty physical. York is more talented and more dynamic than harley. York is the 2nd best dynamic dman in the draft.
I'm not talking about physical as in hitting people. I'm talking physical as in bigger, faster, stronger. They are a lot closer in skill than you are making them out to be. I really like York's game and the only reason I didn't rank him high was because I thought he was lacking a bit of a "dynamic" quality. Great passer and playmaker though for a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00