GDT: Round 1 G6: Capitals @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I'd bet ovi playedthis series with an injury that most of us couldn't have gone to our regular jobs and he still threw body checks everywhere he could. It's disappointing that he got hurt with 3 games to go
He tried to impact the game as much as he could. I do also think that he was impaired.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He’s clearly hurt and still scored a point per game.

No.
:biglaugh:

Then Backstrom is also "clearly hurt and still scored a point per game" and doesn't deserve any ire, either. :biglaugh:

Ovie had just three even strength points all series, none goals. He only had one goal total. He got caved in on even strength goals for/again, as well as all the shot-based metrics. He was flat footed and loafing for most of the series. It was a tremendously poor showing buoyed only by a 2-pt game in the 6-1 blowout win. He was a non-factor when he's supposed to be the bedrock of the team.

Reactions: PlushMinus

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I'm sad. I know we are old and slow, but all other old and slow past Cup champions: Boston, Pittsburg, STL, Tamp (okey they aren't that old and slow) went further than us. So is this our saint graal now - the first round? Then missing the playoffs.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

Then Backstrom is also "clearly hurt and still scored a point per game" and doesn't deserve any ire, either. :biglaugh:

Ovie had just three even strength points all series, none goals. He only had one goal total. He got caved in on even strength goals for/again, as well as all the shot-based metrics. He was flat footed and loafing for most of the series. It was a tremendously poor showing buoyed only by a 2-pt game in the 6-1 blowout win. He was a non-factor when he's supposed to be the bedrock of the team.
He is the bedrock of the team. But he is 36. I know he is a freak of nature but at some point age wins. I can recall another team making a deep run where a 36 year old forward was supposed to be their best performer.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I'd bet ovi playedthis series with an injury that most of us couldn't have gone to our regular jobs and he still threw body checks everywhere he could. It's disappointing that he got hurt with 3 games to go
He tried to impact the game as much as he could. I do also think that he was impaired.
Thank f***ing god this team won in 2018. I know people are tired of bringing it up 4 years later. But still, it does make this sting a lot less.
I think we had a chance to go deep in the playoffs in 2019 had we kept the head coach. But it has been a downhill road since then for sure.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
It did for a while but I’m back to the sting hurting as much as ever just because I thought for sure they’d be contending for several years post-Cup.
Carolina and NYI stung more to me. They still had young enough legs and enough depth to compete. Now it doesn’t sting as much because they simply aren’t that good.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

Was going to say who told you that buy I think the right thing to say is this is the new normal for ovi. He clearly couldn't skate with the speed of the panthers. I believe he was hurt and I also belive Backstrom is in the same category. All that said, this was known when they resigned. They are old now :dunno:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
This should be a house cleaning. Time to raid TB front office and some coaches.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
I'm sad. I know we are old and slow, but all other old and slow past Cup champions: Boston, Pittsburg, STL, Tamp (okey they aren't that old and slow) went further than us. So is this our saint graal now - the first round? Then missing the playoffs.

Have you seen those teams play in the other games? They're literally fast asf. St Louis looks like a more defensive minded Avs team and wouldn't be surprised to see them in the SC final again. Same with Tampa/Pittsburgh/Boston. All those teams have young players that can skate with the best of them. Caps on the other hand bench our young speedy players for more defensive minded players that are slow as dirt and still give up goals like no other.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Don’t forget Eller. Worst player on the ice tonight. On the ice and directly responsible for all three goals in regulation. He was f***ing horrendous.
That was Larsson I think for two of them, and Fever on the third, Eller was in the right position and Fever left Barkov alone to take Eller's man.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

I think we had a chance to go deep in the playoffs in 2019 had we kept the head coach. But it has been a downhill road since then for sure.

Trotz most def wins that series against Carolina.

Reactions: Firsov99

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
As much as the caps gave us hope this was also the presidents trophy winner. We all think back to 2010 for some miracle but the caps were never suppose to win this

Reactions: Firsov99

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
As much as the caps gave us hope this was also the presidents trophy winner. We all think back to 2010 for some miracle but the caps were never suppose to win this
We were supposed to be swept or get one victory - max. We've overachieved actually, in my view.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Should have known our cup run would be short lived when Barry got axed basically the next day.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
There's plenty of blame to go around, and feel free to hit the game 5 and game 6 whipping boys plenty. But one goal in 6 games from Alexander Ovechkin is simply not good enough for the franchise cornerstone. I can't recall Ovie ever looking this bad in the playoffs, even in the CoVID bubble. He needs to bear the burden for this one.
Eh, I said a couple months ago that if his seeing eye shot is not on, he would be a liability in the playoffs. He was a liability. He brought no skill, no hustle outside of a couple hits, and his shot was a non-factor.

OV, in my opinion, needs to lose weight/get in better shape and adapt his game. Much like Jagr did. He still plays the game like he’s an explosive 20 year-old, and when it doesn’t work (like 99% of the time) the puck quickly goes the other way and he’s way behind the action. For one, he needs to work on shielding/protecting the puck better when he’s in possession of it. Two, his board battles, I don’t think I’ve seen a star player lose that high a percentage of them. Three, keeping pucks in the zone, I don’t know if it’s his anticipation or what but pucks go through and around him. And 50/50 pucks on PPs he loses and pucks consistently exit the zone on his side. Losing some weight may help his acceleration in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad