GDT: Round 1 G6: Capitals @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Trotz most def wins that series against Carolina.

Pfffft. Trotz got outcoached every year in the postseason till we won, and that year he had one foot out the door. You really think he had control of that room? We'll never know for sure, but in my opinion the Caps did way too many things in the playoffs that year that were uncharacteristic for Trotz. His doghouse players got loads of playing time, he trusted youngsters, lost his mindboggling commitment to safe, perimeter playoff hockey...

So maybe you can argue that he had a "Screw it!" attitude and coached against type, but it's just as likely that his hand was forced on some key decisions that played a significant factor in our drastic uptick in play and compete level.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Carolina was the last one that really hurt. I'm massively annoyed at this outcome, because it could have been different, but the better team won. They played tough, but they will point to a few bounces and no Tom Wilson. Ovie sucked, he may have been hurt, and he's showed up most playoffs but he's also been a non-factor for several early exits.

This team gets hurt because they're old. There is a correlation at a certain point. Samsonov is probably a low-end starter in this league right now. In a perfect world, you absolutely have to clean house with coaching and GMBM if you want to keep this core together. All the stats you guys throw out about Lavi are prime examples as to why he needs fired. John Carlson has been an absolute mental midget, joke since the Cup run.

Perfect world scenario, you clean house in the front office. Trade Carlson, Mantha, and Eller. Mantha and Eller and maybe some picks get your Scheifele. Carlson can get you a solid defender, maybe a bottom 6 winger, and/or some prospects and picks. All the loose change in the bottom six can be replaced. This team can stay competitive but wholesale changes are required. I hope something happens but don't expect Carlson or Mantha to go anywhere, unfortunately.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
This should be the start of a rebuild - all options should be on the table. Running it back is a waste of time.

Lavi should be gone. GMBM should be gone. We need a new vision.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Pfffft. Trotz got outcoached every year in the postseason till we won, and that year he had one foot out the door. You really think he had control of that room? We'll never know for sure, but in my opinion the Caps did way too many things in the playoffs that year that were uncharacteristic for Trotz. His doghouse players got loads of playing time, he trusted youngsters, lost his mindboggling commitment to safe, perimeter playoff hockey...

So maybe you can argue that he had a "Screw it!" attitude and coached against type, but it's just as likely that his hand was forced on some key decisions that played a significant factor in our drastic uptick in play and compete level.
I also thought this. It was like he was getting fired or let go and then the caps caught lightning in a bottle and accidentally won the whole thing so trotz and management just stared at each other awkwardly

Reactions: Jags

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
The money is just too easy by just playing through....
For him - absolutely. But this contract hurts the team immensely. Maybe both parties could come to a team-friendly agreement (early retirement or big pay cut) at certain point.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
We were supposed to be swept or get one victory - max. We've overachieved actually, in my view.
... and an NHL playoff team is not supposed to lose three games in which they had a 3-0 lead or a lead in the final 2 minutes or ... They choked, individually, collectively, and coaching-wise, again. 40+ years of nearly the same story every year.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Which is more likely, Lavi is gone or GMBM is gone? I say neither will happen because ownership doesn’t give a sh*t about winning at this point.

It's Ted... more than likely neither.. and nothing changes. As long as he makes some playoff attendance money and the team is relevant, Ted doesn't care.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
That wasn't the only proposal regarding sending Carlson out.

Moreover, even if you don't trust Hamilton, he could have very easily matched what Carlson brought (or didn't bring) this series while the assets returned in the Carlson trade could have helped the team significantly elsewhere. That was the concept of that proposal all along.
Well you’re probably not wrong about Carlson in this series but this season? I think I still keep him over what Hamilton offered New Jersey

Jun 15, 2007
Yeah I haven't felt super bad about a loss since the Carolina one. I don't even feel too bad right now since they didnt deserve to win at all.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Willy out was a big kick in the nuts but overall wasn't impressed by Lavi's line moves. VV was his obvious #1 choice but was benched for getting shelled one game. We are too old to have a green horn play 3 minutes. If he wasn't ready that is on Lavi more than anyone and shouldnt be in the game at all. Maybe Lavi was burned by moving up Hathaway in game 2 so didnt want to sit Larson but felt Axel deserved a shot somewhere even with Willy in. Basically the same shit for 4 straight years. Watch Murray get promoted.

Last edited:

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Would you take a paycut if you were him? Neither would I.
It would depend on my Caps legacy and how much money I would have had in the bank :)

There are examples where stars retired before the end of contact. Peyton Manning could have milked the Broncos out of another 20 mil or so, but he retired earlier.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
... and an NHL playoff team is not supposed to lose three games in which they had a 3-0 lead or a lead in the final 2 minutes or ... They choked, individually, collectively, and coaching-wise, again. 40+ years of nearly the same story every year.
Teams get swept in the finals sometimes. It’s hockey.

I didn’t have any expectations getting past the first round. These series were much closer than expected.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Willy out was a big kick in the nuts but overall wasn't impressed by Lavi's line moves. VV was his obvious #1 choice but was benched for getting shelled one game. We are too old to have a green horn play 3 minutes. If he wasn't ready that is on Lavi more than anyone and shouldnt be in the game at all. Maybe Lavi was burned by moving up Hathaway in game 2 so didnt want to sit Larson but felt Axel deserved a shot somewhere even without Willy out. Basically the same shit for 4 straight years. Watch Murray get promoted.
I’ll just never get it. It’s the playoffs, people go down, “next man up”, you know to go the distance you need depth contributors. Pretty sure Caps had games from Gersich and Walker in 2018 at least.

Why would you spend nearly all season depriving the fringe players on your roster so you can lean heavily on veteran legs in January? It’s such shortsighted dogshit coaching

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I’ll just never get it. It’s the playoffs, people go down, “next man up”, you know to go the distance you need depth contributors

Why would you spend nearly all season depriving the fringe players on your roster so you can lean heavily on veteran legs in January? It’s such shortsighted dogshit coaching
Totally agree and many of us were calling it in the moment. I remember when OV was playing sometimes 23 min a night in December and it was so silly. Lavi and his stubbornness really hurt this team. If he comes back next year the GM has to sit him down and say if you don’t play the young guys you are gone.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This team did it's best with the youngsters helping the vets this season. They go out and get older veterans and got a lot slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad