GDT: Round 1 G6: Capitals @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It’s not like he has had the team in its prime. I don’t think it’s a coaching issue.

THe issue with this team was they were old and slow... they had almost 3 months of straight suckage because of it. The team had to literally sellout to keep winning towards the end of the season. And the whole time, McM was benched numerous times.. AJF was used sparingly if ever. Backstrom came back and was given top minutes even though he basically sucks at this point. There are alot of things you can pin on Lavi and much of it is well deserved. He needs to be on the first flight out of here along with GMBM.
This is it, although my take on GMBM is a little different.

They leaned on their oldest and often injured players, refused to groom young talent all year, and then left themselves no options in the playoffs because they couldn’t trust anybody else.

They painted themselves into a corner and then shot themselves in the foot and a lot of us were calling it as soon as the injury bug stopped forcing Laviolette’s hand early in the season. That’s the period they probably looked their best, too.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Bravo boys, way to take a simple dump in and turn it into a turnover.

And question for the guys who have played a lot of hockey. When a puck is sent along the boards, turning up ice to try to take it in stride … we do that an awful lot and to me it’s why we have so much trouble getting pucks out of the zone. I don’t know if Carlson misjudged it or didn’t realize he was on ice but he had a chance to control that puck.

Because we're not quick enough to get to the pucks with some space. Florida basically sent a two man forecheck every shift and they still made it back up the ice before our guys did.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Easy to say but who would trade for them?
Eller will have 1 more year at 3.5. Lots of teams would love that veteran center depth with cup winning experience on that low risk contract. He would be an easy trade. The caps have too much already committed in the aging core and he is the easy man to cut based on his contract to get cap space and roster spot for young blood. But he does still have value left to give.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's plenty of blame to go around, and feel free to hit the game 5 and game 6 whipping boys plenty. But one goal in 6 games from Alexander Ovechkin is simply not good enough for the franchise cornerstone. I can't recall Ovie ever looking this bad in the playoffs, even in the CoVID bubble. He needs to bear the burden for this one.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
There's plenty of blame to go around, and feel free to hit the game 5 and game 6 whipping boys plenty. But one goal in 6 games from Alexander Ovechkin is simply not good enough for the franchise cornerstone. I can't recall Ovie ever looking this bad in the playoffs, even in the CoVID bubble. He needs to bear the burden for this one.

he looks injured.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Saw this in January. They are the oct- early December Stanley cup champions…

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Remember when half this forum mocked the idea of trading Carlson last year?
Kind of half the picture, we were mocking trading him to sign true 1d Dougie Hamilton who…. was pretty objectively a worse option than Carlson

Reactions: Jags

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Samsonov played pretty well, he the #1 going into next year or you think we trade draft capital to aquire a solid veteran?

Gopack76

Nov 17, 2017
Right now GMBM is trying to figure out how he can give away more draft picks while making this team older and slower.

• Haha
Reactions: PlushMinus

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kind of half the picture, we were mocking trading him to sign true 1d Dougie Hamilton who…. was pretty objectively a worse option than Carlson
That wasn't the only proposal regarding sending Carlson out.

Moreover, even if you don't trust Hamilton, he could have very easily matched what Carlson brought (or didn't bring) this series while the assets returned in the Carlson trade could have helped the team significantly elsewhere. That was the concept of that proposal all along.

Reactions: twabby

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
He’s clearly hurt and still scored a point per game.

No.

Reactions: Caps8112

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Samsonov played pretty well, he the #1 going into next year or you think we trade draft capital to aquire a solid veteran?
Good question. Sam wasn't bad (not stellar though) in the playoffs, but would you want to stick with him long-term? I think we have to look for a new #1. Sam might stay as a backup. Vanny, who clearly has a lower ceiling, - out.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
He’s clearly hurt and still scored a point per game.

No.
I'd bet ovi playedthis series with an injury that most of us couldn't have gone to our regular jobs and he still threw body checks everywhere he could. It's disappointing that he got hurt with 3 games to go

Reactions: Firsov99

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I asked that it ended quick either way so at least there’s that!

Can’t decide if I’m mad or not. The Caps played better than expected but Florida was clinical punishing the Caps for their mistakes. Turn the puck over in the neutral zone? Goal. Fail to clear the puck when you have a chance? Goal. Make a dumb decision and try to stick handle into the zone instead of dumping it? Goal. A bit lazy on the back check or late to cover in front? Goal. Just too much stupid and too much cheat in their game given the speed and talent disparity and they ultimately blew multiple chances to take control of the series. The Caps blew leads in three straight games including two leads tonight and a three goal lead in G5 plus they missed an easy chance to ice G4. Simply not good enough against a team as talented and fast as the Panthers.

Will be an interesting summer. I expect changes to be made but that discussion can wait until tomorrow.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I asked that it ended quick either way so at least there’s that!

Can’t decide if I’m mad or not. The Caps played better than expected but Florida was clinical punishing the Caps for their mistakes. Turn the puck over in the neutral zone? Goal. Fail to clear the puck when you have a chance? Goal. Make a dumb decision and try to stick handle into the zone instead of dumping it? Goal. A bit lazy on the back check or late to cover in front? Goal. Just too much stupid and too much cheat in their game given the speed and talent disparity and they ultimately blew multiple chances to take control of the series. The Caps blew leads in three straight games including two leads tonight and a three goal lead in G5 plus they missed an easy chance to ice G4. Simply not good enough against a team as talented and fast as the Panthers.

Will be an interesting summer. I expect changes to be made but that discussion can wait until tomorrow.
Bet they are still wondering how they didn't win in 4 or 5 tho..... experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad