Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Isles) 2015 Playoffs

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Fitting Karma would be the Cup winning goal scored by Brouwer, assisted by 52 and 21. A large number of posters here would be lost to a stroke or aneurism.

Brouwer sending a shot high/wide, Mojo going for a stuff, Green missing on a pinch, Alzner caught flat footed, Orpik not tying the guy up in the slot, Carlson letting a rebound go through his legs to a defender for a goal, Niskanen making a mental blunder, Gleason getting beat all over the ice, Laich popping a groin, Beagle sending a backhand shot on net from the left boards, Latta refusing to shoot, Kuzy flinging a creative pass with nobody on the receiving end...

Oh sorry, got carried away.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Jets coach Paul Maurice said. "There's luck in a game maybe in the series, but over a potential seven-game series the best team almost always wins, and they were better than we were."

I hope the best team wins the series. And I hope that team turns out to be the Caps...

But this is def how I view a 7 gamer...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That's the reality of what depth has looked like on cup winning teams recently.

Again those guys are legit 1st line scorers and they get paid like 1st line scorers. Johansson and Brouwer are 2nd liners and are paid like it. This is an apples and oranges comparison IMO. It is going to take a heck of a lot more than simply removing those 2 to even make it possible to add a couple of guys of that caliber let alone actually acquire them.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Again those guys are legit 1st line scorers and they get paid like 1st line scorers. Johansson and Brouwer are 2nd liners and are paid like it. This is an apples and oranges comparison IMO. It is going to take a heck of a lot more than simply removing those 2 to even make it possible to add a couple of guys of that caliber let alone actually acquire them.

I'm pretty sure that's his point. You want to have apples in order to have the best chance to advance, and we have oranges.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Kuz, MoJo, Chimera, and even Beagle have all had some really good chances. I'd expect us to start scoring sooner rather than later. Potentially as early as tomorrow night.

I just feel really strongly that the Caps will have a complete game in Game 5.

gosh this man is so smart. All y'all losers ragging on our secondary scoring need to take the entire team out to dinner!

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
gosh this man is so smart. All y'all losers ragging on our secondary scoring need to take the entire team out to dinner!

Hey there, show some love for your fellow caps fans. Unless they're keying cars or throwing beer on innocent girls, were all on the same side.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm pretty sure that's his point. You want to have apples in order to have the best chance to advance, and we have oranges.

I am 'hearing' a demand that the current oranges become apples and yet continue to play for orange wages. If they were on apples wages and yet were still oranges then sure but that isn't the case. Boiling down the problem to those two oranges not playing like apples is way too simplistic IMO.

If you want 4 legit 1st line caliber forwards then go reconfigure your entire team top to bottom to be able to afford and also acquire them. Obviously you can also try to develop your own also. But crying about 2nd line caliber guys not being 1st line caliber guys is BS IMO.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I am 'hearing' a demand that the current oranges become apples and yet continue to play for orange wages. If they were on apples wages and yet were still oranges then sure but that isn't the case. Boiling down the problem to those two oranges not playing like apples is way too simplistic IMO.

If you want 4 legit 1st line caliber forwards then go reconfigure your entire team top to bottom to be able to afford and also acquire them. Obviously you can also try to develop your own also. But crying about 2nd line caliber guys not being 1st line caliber guys is BS IMO.

That's the dream (after wi-fi in the car, of course).

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

The "demand" is that they produce or leave. Because as long as they're here doing their usual thing -or in the postseason, worse than their usual thing, they're blocking potential replacements.

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
I voted Isles in seven before the series started. We always have a problem getting that fourth win.

Ill take a breath once they get that fourth win. That being said, Kuzy and Wilson have altered this series.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The "demand" is that they produce or leave.

But the level of production you appear to be demanding is legit 1st line caliber forward production. Why would you expect that from Brouwer at all and Johansson at this stage of his career anyway? Neither of these guys are bad players IMO, I think they are 2nd liner scorer types, but they certainly aren't Kane and Hossa, 1st line scorer types, either nor will they ever be most likely. And them leaving doesn't bring the Caps anywhere close to being able to bring in a Kane and a Hossa. And if the idea is to grow your own Kane and Hossa then the presence of those two does not preclude that IMO.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
But the level of production you appear to be demanding is legit 1st line caliber forward production. Why would you expect that from Brouwer at all and Johansson at this stage of his career anyway? Neither of these guys are bad players IMO, I think they are 2nd liner scorer types, but they certainly aren't Kane and Hossa, 1st line scorer types, either nor will they ever be most likely. And them leaving doesn't bring the Caps anywhere close to being able to bring in a Kane and a Hossa. And if the idea is to grow your own Kane and Hossa then the presence of those two does not preclude that IMO.

Yes that is the level I'm demanding as that's the reality of the competition. And no, Brouwer is not providing 2nd line offense in the postseason nor has he ever.

It's arguable that Brouwer kept a deserving offensive rookie out of the lineup this year and it very much looks to me that Brouwer has held back Kuznetsov's production.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am still stunned that Barry finally slotted Brouwer into what has to be his natural position, 3RW.

Maybe he was the glue holding our lineup back. Not his fault if true, but him permanently penciled at 2RW got its fair shake and plenty more, yet with him in our top 6, we simply struggled to build 2 scoring lines.

It may have felt like a piano was lifted off of Kuzyas back.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yes that is the level I'm demanding as that's the reality of the competition.

Well then the problem is nowhere close to as simple as Brouwer and Johansson, it is the entire construction of the team. Way more cap room needs to be found then simply just those two's share plus the assets need to be spent to bring in the quality of players you demand as I don't see anyone who fits that description becoming a UFA this summer.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I am still stunned that Barry finally slotted Brouwer into what has to be his natural position, 3RW.

Maybe he was the glue holding our lineup back. Not his fault if true, but him permanently penciled at 2RW got its fair shake and plenty more, yet with him in our top 6, we simply struggled to build 2 scoring lines.

It may have felt like a piano was lifted off of Kuzyas back.

Yeah who knew replacing Brouwer with Chimera was going to solve all their problems...? ;)

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Well then the problem is nowhere close to as simple as Brouwer and Johansson, it is the entire construction of the team. Way more cap room needs to be found then simply just those two's share plus the assets need to be spent to bring in the quality of players you demand as I don't see anyone who fits that description becoming a UFA this summer.

And you're ignoring the relevant part of my post if you want to go in that direction. A good start would have been playing Burakovsky this past year and seeing where he fits. A more conservative start would be removing Brouwer from the team as he makes us worse in the postseason and he's not even great shakes during the regular season. The best start would be not trading away promising young players because of our incumbent RW depth (Brouwer).

I think we're at an impasse as I want us to try to improve the secondary scoring (risking failure to do so!) and you seem to be content to keep our subpar secondary scoring based on the lack of immediately apparent upgrades.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
And you're ignoring the relevant part of my post if you want to go in that direction. A good start would have been playing Burakovsky this past year and seeing where he fits. A more conservative start would be removing Brouwer from the team as he makes us worse in the postseason and he's not even great shakes during the regular season. The best start would be not trading away promising young players because of our incumbent RW depth (Brouwer).

I think we're at an impasse as I want us to try to improve the secondary scoring (risking failure to do so!) and you seem to be content to keep our subpar secondary scoring based on the lack of immediately apparent upgrades.

I think Vrana and Burakovsky both make the team full-time next season and that on its own is a major upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad