Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Isles) 2015 Playoffs

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
And I think outside of the one year where absolutely nobody scored, Green led the team with 2 goals, they have gotten reasonable secondary scoring to support the big guns. I put this a heck of a lot more on those guys than I do Brouwer and Johansson.

And no, this team is going nowhere unless Ovechkin and Backstrom lead the way regardless of who else is on the team IMO. The playoffs are about your big guys leading the way. Nobody goes anywhere if the big guys disappear for the most part.

Honestly this seems like a bit of a chicken and the egg situation IMO.

Patrick Kane 2013 goals by series:
0, 2, 4, 3

Marian Hossa 2013 Goals by series:

3, 2, 2, 0

Anze Kopitar 2014 points by series:

2, 9, 5, 2

Jeff Carter 2014 points by series:

6, 5, 11, 3

Scoreless series by Kane and Hossa didn't stop them from winning a Cup. A mediocre playoffs from Kopitar didn't stop them from winning a cup. Because secondary scoring was in place to carry the team.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How about, not put a 5-foot-10 guy with a head injury out onto the ice, against a 4th line, no less?

We got rid of Hillen.

They kept their injury prone diminutive D. Eventually, the Isles management has to own up to him being on the ice in the first place.

Yeah dude, no kidding. I'm really floored at what I'm reading. This is ice hockey, right? And it's the NHL playoffs? In my 25 years being involved with the game I've never seen a team say a guy should be exempt from physical contact because he's smaller and brittle. It's bizarre.

One of the things I love about hockey is there is no out of bounds. This is the Thunderdome. You don't take a knee or slide or run out of bounds or have the whistle blown on contact. All participants are equally likely to be hit. If you don't like that, don't play.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Jeff Carter definitely qualifies as primary scoring. He's lead the Kings in goals in two of the past three seasons, and was 2nd in points in all three seasons.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Hope Broubrou shows up tonight.

Our T-Brou troubles are over - at least for tonight. Brouwer has played in 3 Game 5s for us and he has points in each game. 1 G and 3 A total. The goal was a game-winner and one of the assists was on the game-winner.

So let's put aside the bad vibes toward him - because Game 5s are his thing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Jeff Carter definitely qualifies as primary scoring. He's lead the Kings in goals in two of the past three seasons, and was 2nd in points in all three seasons.

Different lines. Hossa/Kane are both RWs. Carter/Gaborik are both Cs. I think it's iffy to count players on different lines as primary offensive pieces.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Different lines. Hossa/Kane are both RWs. Carter/Gaborik are both Cs. I think it's iffy to count players on different lines as primary offensive pieces.

I assume you mean Kopitar instead of Gaborik?

The lines are more fluid than you suggest (Hossa and Kane have been on lines together at various points), and a both sets of players see time together on the powerplay for their teams.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I assume you mean Kopitar instead of Gaborik?

The lines are more fluid than you suggest (Hossa and Kane have been on lines together at various points), and a both sets of players see time together on the powerplay for their teams.

I did mean Kopitar. Either way, Brouwer, Johansson, (and digging further back) Fleischmann, Semin, Laich etc aren't putting up totals similar to what 2nd liners on successful teams do.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I did mean Kopitar. Either way, Brouwer, Johansson, (and digging further back) Fleischmann, Semin, Laich etc aren't putting up totals similar to what 2nd liners on successful teams do.
Considering the Caps dont get that far in the playoffs as those other teams....isnt kinda hard to judge over a full run?

Dont get me wrong....I identify the players who havent stepped up in the past...but until the run is over...I find it hard to judge this group yet.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The only real positive I see is that Johansson/Kuzy haven't gotten destroyed this year with any dirty/big hits b/c Brouwer has been on thier line..

I imagine Brouwers value as a deterrent is zero. They're not getting crushed because Johansson is playing harder than he normally does and because Kuz is greasy. Guys like him are so aware that they almost never put themselves in position to be lit up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fitting Karma would be the Cup winning goal scored by Brouwer, assisted by 52 and 21. A large number of posters here would be lost to a stroke or aneurism.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Fitting Karma would be the Cup winning goal scored by Brouwer, assisted by 52 and 21. A large number of posters here would be lost to a stroke or aneurism.

I would offer my sincerest and deepest apologies to 20,21 and 52 for underestimating them.
Until then, they have a lot to prove.

I'm betting that the eventual Cup winning goal is scored by #8, assisted by #19 and #74.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Fitting karma would be Brouwer missing the net on a slot shot, Laich following up with a stuff attempt, and Green pinching in for top shelf goal.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
0, 2, 4, 3

3, 2, 2, 0

2, 9, 5, 2

6, 5, 11, 3

Scoreless series by Kane and Hossa didn't stop them from winning a Cup. A mediocre playoffs from Kopitar didn't stop them from winning a cup. Because secondary scoring was in place to carry the team.

Well when you pretend other primary guys are really secondary guys that gets pretty easy doesn't it? How did the 'Hawks other big guns do in those series or are you expecting the likes of Johansson and Brouwer to become Toews and Sharp. And you'll notice Kopitar and Carter didn't both have down series at the same time, one of them was always going.

Toews is secondary scoring? WTF dude...?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
0, 2, 4, 3

3, 2, 2, 0

2, 9, 5, 2

6, 5, 11, 3

This really puts things into perspective.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Well when you pretend other primary guys are really secondary guys that gets pretty easy doesn't it? How did the 'Hawks other big guns do in those series or are you expecting the likes of Johansson and Brouwer to become Toews and Sharp. And you'll notice Kopitar and Carter didn't both have down series at the same time, one of them was always going.

Toews is secondary scoring? WTF dude...?

As noted above, Kopitar/Carter and Kane/Hossa both play the same position and therefore play on separate lines. Yeah they get PP time together but so do our 2nd liners.

If you don't like calling different lines secondary scoring fine. Good teams have two sets of primary scorers and we're just as far from the goalposts. It's semantics.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

And when you define 'secondary' scoring as the likes of Toews, Sharp, and Gaborik then other than Semin they shouldn't be expected to IMO, not even close, as those guys are without a doubt 1st line scorers in the NHL.

Is that what this 'discussion' is about, that Brouwer and Johansson aren't Toews and Sharp? Well no ****...

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
And when you define 'secondary' scoring as the likes of Toews, Sharp, and Gaborik then other than Semin they shouldn't be expected to IMO, not even close, as those guys are without a doubt 1st line scorers in the NHL.

Is that what this 'discussion' is about, that Brouwer and Johansson aren't Toews and Sharp? Well no ****...

That's the reality of what depth has looked like on cup winning teams recently. Even if you lower the bar substantially Johansson/Brouwer still isn't close to adequately supporting Ovechkin/Backstrom in a postseason run. As history has shown repeatedly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad