Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Isles) 2015 Playoffs

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
You are picking 34 games spread over 5 seasons. Seasons played with different rosters, coaches, and systems and drawing an incorrect broad conclusion IMO. Why they have not scored as much as would be desired in each of those playoff series is not the same IMO.

You don't think that 90 and 20 disappearing every postseason for the past 5 years has something to do with us struggling to score in April?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You don't think that 90 and 20 disappearing every postseason for the past 5 years has something to do with us struggling to score in April?

Well first of all Brouwer wasn't on the team 5 seasons ago and Johansson as a 19 year old rookie put up 6 points in 9 games so no I don't see them as the reason for the scoring issues.

The next year Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin, the big guns who are counted on to produce simply didn't. If the idea is that this team should be able to handle all 3 top forwards not getting it done without a problem I don't know what to tell you. And it isn't like they didn't get support that year as Chimera and Laich both had productive playoffs.

The next year the big guns, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Ribiero completely disappeared, combining for just 7 points in 7 games. Johansson and Brouwer were just as productive as Ovechkin and Ribiero. If the expectation is they are supposed to out produce the big guys up front I don't know what to tell you.

The next year they didn't even make the playoffs and so far this year they have played all of 4 games but at least Backstrom is doing well and Ovechkin hasn't disappeared but is just ok IMO so far.

So no, I don't lay the issue at Brouwer's and Johansson's feet.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Well first of all Brouwer wasn't on the team 5 seasons ago and Johansson as a 19 year old rookie put up 6 points in 9 games so no I don't see them as the reason for the scoring issues.

The next year Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin, the big guns who are counted on to produce simply didn't. If the idea is that this team should be able to handle all 3 top forwards not getting it done without a problem I don't know what to tell you. And it isn't like they didn't get support that year as Chimera and Laich both had productive playoffs.

The next year the big guns, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Ribiero completely disappeared, combining for just 7 points in 7 games. Johansson and Brouwer were just as productive as Ovechkin and Ribiero. If the expectation is they are supposed to out produce the big guys up front I don't know what to tell you.

The next year they didn't even make the playoffs and so far this year they have played all of 4 games but at least Backstrom is doing well and Ovechkin hasn't disappeared but is just ok IMO so far.

So no, I don't lay the issue at Brouwer's and Johansson's feet.

When the top forwards slump guys like Brouwer and Johansson are supposed to chip in. That's what secondary scoring is.

To take your point to its logical conclusion is to say that we're not doing anything unless Ovechkin/Backstrom lead the way scoring-wise so it really doesn't matter who the remaining scoring forwards are. I disagree.

Secondary forwards should not only affect the oppositions game plan -making things easier on Ovechkin/Backstrom, but they should chip in when Ovechkin/Backstrom are not scoring. It's a team game and 2 players aren't going to win a Stanley Cup or even come close. As they've demonstrated repeatedly.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Johansson has been one of the best forwards for us this series. He's deserved blame in the past, but not this year. I hope he and Kuzy are due for some of their efforts to start reflecting on the scoresheet.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Johansson has been one of the best forwards for us this series. He's deserved blame in the past, but not this year. I hope he and Kuzy are due for some of their efforts to start reflecting on the scoresheet.

I've hardly noticed him. Even in the game he scored he was pretty bad; fumbling pucks, losing board battles, the typical Mojo stuff.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Agree. But I also think it's time to put up some points. He also had a horrible turnover that led to the first Islanders goal in game 1. That's probably the biggest impact he's had on a game thus far.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I've hardly noticed him. Even in the game he scored he was pretty bad; fumbling pucks, losing board battles, the typical Mojo stuff.

I'm with you. He's been better than he was during the middle part of the regular season, but I'm not sure I'd say he's been one of the best forwards. Well, other than Ovi, Nicky and Kuz, everyone has been kind of invisible. Wardo at least put effort last game, so he was somewhat visible.

Hope Broubrou shows up tonight.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

why don't you make a point of watching him in this game. see how often he wins a board battle. Ov loses board battles all the time. 90 wins far more than you perceive.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mojo has been playing some of his best hockey and has been taking massive lumps while coming back for more. He's contributing way more than he's taking away now. Hope it continues.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
why don't you make a point of watching him in this game. see how often he wins a board battle. Ov loses board battles all the time. 90 wins far more than you perceive.

Mmm k. I watched the series and he looks like his typical self. OV was never the board battle type, but he provides far more than Mojo and that comparison is trivial.

I am reassured by Ward winning board battles again, thought he was just average in that department in the regular season relative to years past. That goes a long way to helping the 1st line gain the zone and sustain pressure.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Mmm k. I watched the series and he looks like his typical self. OV was never the board battle type, but he provides far more than Mojo and that comparison is trivial.

I am reassured by Ward winning board battles again, thought he was just average in that department in the regular season relative to years past. That goes a long way to helping the 1st line gain the zone and sustain pressure.

We must be watching different games. MaJo has been physical and has certainly been noticeable for more positive than negative. The first goal of the series was 100% on Brouwer. Cross ice pass into 90's skates when he had Backstrom waiting for the pass 2 feet away.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i.e. his pass in OT to Chimera the other night.

Still, we need points. 2 GF/game isn't going to cut it.

I tend to agree that we need points. I have been somewhat astonished by the drool over Kuznetsov's play. 4 games with 0 points when you your primary job is offense has to be more fail than success.

90 has a goal and a 20 goal player get one every 4 games is about right. Chimera has one. Time for Wardo or Kuz or Beagle or Laich or Brouw get one tonight. wouldn't hurt for 90 to get another one.

One from 8 or 19 + one from a secondary forward + 1 from a d should be enough to win.

Last edited:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
We must be watching different games. MaJo has been physical and has certainly been noticeable for more positive than negative. The first goal of the series was 100% on Brouwer. Cross ice pass into 90's skates when he had Backstrom waiting for the pass 2 feet away.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not by any means trying to pin all the blame on Mojo. He's been better than past playoffs, which is something I guess.

All I hear is Kuz has been good, Mojo has been good, but the reality is that 2nd line has one point. All I see from the second line is them struggling to gain the zone and when they do they're one-and-done. At some point they have to produce or they're going to have troubling winning this series or any other series.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They're getting chances and creating space and turnovers while others are struggling.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
MoJo is the type of guy that I think you want on your team in the top 6 when you can surround him with better players. He will get your 40-60+ points/season when he has someone good he is playing with. If he is the best player on the second line - that's when people are going to continue to get frustrated with him. He's just not that type of player who can carry that kind of responsibility.

Plus, I still think he would take a pretty fair contract as he's not a guy other organizations I think would throw a large sum of money at. If you can get him for the 3 - 3.5 range and have someone else on his line that can put the puck in the net consistently - I think Johansson is pretty good. He does a good job getting the puck into the zone and is decent around the boards and an above average passer. Plus, he NEVER take penalties and you never really see him ever make a dumb play in the defensive zone. He's very underrated as a guy in the D-zone. Maybe one of our best forwards at making smart plays in the D-zone.

Maybe it'll be Kuzy next year who turns into the 2nd line goal scorer we need - but Kuzy is more of a distributor first type of guy as well... the same thing Johansson is. Brouwer on the second line is just too inconsistent and not good even stength at scoring. He's not someone that I think deserves to be the main scorer on a top 6 line.

I think next year Ovi, Backstrom, Burro, Johansson, Kuzy, + another goal scorer will do wonders for those 5 people. Kuzy is already progressing great, Burro I think is due for a breakout season once he plays every night, and JoJo/Kuzy for that second line really need that guy who can finish to even out that line.

Brouwer I really like - but hes been in a position all year to be a goal scorer as the main scoring option on line #2 and he still just isnt even a 15 ES goal scorer in the NHL. Not good when his linemates are guys who are pass first guys/playmakers. The third line is best suited for him. Considering we have guys like Latta, Wilson, Chimera, Laich, Brown, O'Brien, etc all under contract next year, I'm not sure we need a almost 4 million guy down at the bottom 6. We already have Laich down there who is well overpaid as a bottom 6 forward. If we do have him down there, great - as It's a luxury having that depth on a bottom line (like we have Mike Green now), but if we can move him and maybe a pick OR a prospect for a real top 6 RW who can put the puck in the net, I think it'll do wonders for the team.. and wonders for Kuzy/MoJO on the second line next season.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
When the top forwards slump guys like Brouwer and Johansson are supposed to chip in. That's what secondary scoring is.

And I think outside of the one year where absolutely nobody scored, Green led the team with 2 goals, they have gotten reasonable secondary scoring to support the big guns. I put this a heck of a lot more on those guys than I do Brouwer and Johansson.

And no, this team is going nowhere unless Ovechkin and Backstrom lead the way regardless of who else is on the team IMO. The playoffs are about your big guys leading the way. Nobody goes anywhere if the big guys disappear for the most part.

Honestly this seems like a bit of a chicken and the egg situation IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Aside of Backstrom and Ovechkin, Johansson has been the team's best forward so far. His chemistry with Kuznetsov the past couple games has been fantastic. He's creating opportunities for himself and others. He's not afraid to get hit to make a play, and usually ends up making the play. Really not sure how anyone can be upset with his play in this series.

Brouwer has been a dumpster fire, though.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It's almost as if you need your primary AND secondary scoring to both be going to make a deep playoff run.

Exactly.

We need that secondary player that's a guy with the attitude of "I'm going to go out and be the best player on the ice tonight", who every once in awhile actually can be the difference in a game and net a goal or two and carry a line.

Right now I think most forwards have the "just do you job and don't screw up" mentality. Which is fine and great coaching to keep the team disciplined, etc... but you need that X factor too. The first line can't always do it all. Sure, they're good enough to basically be the only scorers in a series and still win (that's what's great about having 2 of the top players in the world on your team), but winning multiple series with that game plan is too tough.

The closest player I see who has that attitude is John Carlson for the Caps, but when he tries to take over his shots get blocked and he seems to not be good in his own zone. Carlson plays best when he plays simple IMO. We need a forward who can just have that extra edge on him and when he really wants to step up, he can (meaning not guys like Brouwer and Laich who talk about it every single game but 90% of the time don't show up, haha).

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Mojo has been playing some of his best hockey and has been taking massive lumps while coming back for more. He's contributing way more than he's taking away now. Hope it continues.

Yeah, I was actually worried when he was hurt. Probably wouldn't have been that way a year or two ago.

He's really playing well. If there wasn't dead weight on that line with he and Kuzy, maybe they could produce.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
“[Wilson] went in to hurt our guy, obviously,” Thomas Hickey said. “You know, Lubo’s a 5-foot-10 guy with a head injury, and you go and make a hit like that. There’s a penalty on the play. I guess I won’t say too much more than that.”

How about, not put a 5-foot-10 guy with a head injury out onto the ice, against a 4th line, no less?

We got rid of Hillen.

They kept their injury prone diminutive D. Eventually, the Isles management has to own up to him being on the ice in the first place.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Aside of Backstrom and Ovechkin, Johansson has been the team's best forward so far. His chemistry with Kuznetsov the past couple games has been fantastic. He's creating opportunities for himself and others. He's not afraid to get hit to make a play, and usually ends up making the play. Really not sure how anyone can be upset with his play in this series.

Brouwer has been a dumpster fire, though.

Has been since he got here. He has the occasional lucky hot streak to get people off his back and then disappears for three more months. Absolutely worthless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad