Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Isles) 2015 Playoffs

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
On a different track, would it be totally inappropriate for Trotz to make room behind the bench for Huntsie for game 6?

That'd be one way to take the heat off Wilson, for sure.

Dale would probably get a kick out of it - but history suggests that Dale Hunter + Islanders playoff game 6 at Nassau = bad voodoo, so as amusing as it is to contemplate, we can't do it.

What I remember about that game is that after Dale destroyed Turgeon on the goal that made if 5-1, we scored 2 quick ones around the 15:00 mark of the 3rd to make it 5-3 for a glimmer of hope, before the anvil came down on another crushing playoff defeat.

Let us speak of it no more.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
We don't need Fehr back in the lineup right now imo. I would scratch him if healthy.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, I don't really notice Latta (though I never knew what to make of him), and Beagle -- who seems to always exhibit elite motor, but not in this series..?

I don't know what to make of Fehr, either. It's kind of curious that at first it was Chimera and Ward from that once-super line that seemed to struggle, but now it looks like they found a niche, for this run at least, and Fehr hasn't looked great for a while.

If healthy, I'd want to take a look at him with Bura -- generate some stuff from the forecheck.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought beagle had a really strong game in g5. He had 2 assists, iirc. he had a couple of quality scoring chances too. he was huge on those 3 consecutive pk's whichever game that was

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Anyone else worried about Ovi?

Lost in that beatdown was the fact that Ovi didn't look anything like himself after he went off with that leg injury.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi has not been hitting much at all. That is a measuring stick of his health, unless Barry told him to lay off. He has been quiet most of series and suspect he had a lingering before the playoffs started.

Hopefully Kooz on the Loose can fill the void scoring wise, and Willy on the physicality part. It would be nice to close the dump today, and buy one less game and few extra days to heal all up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
NBC ran a full package of Ov trucking guys during g3 or 4 from just that game. He had been hitting plenty. That said something did happen to him in g5 and he wasn't himself after that. His pp movement and energy was down. He kept taking a shift though.

So, who knows. Concerned....yes

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
NBC ran a full package of Ov trucking guys during g3 or 4 from just that game. He had been hitting plenty. That said something did happen to him in g5 and he wasn't himself after that. His pp movement and energy was down. He kept taking a shift though.

I certainly miss things. i just dont remember any memorable hits from him....

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

They never really did follow up ovie after he left limping. I'm hoping it was a charlie horse or something.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
I think OV's been hurt since the knee on knee collision against Boston. I bet it's an MCL and it's just getting worse with use.

I really don't get all the doom and gloom but I too did se yesterday's game as a measuring stick of "Are they different?"

I didn't watch the third, but from what I saw the Caps generated great chances and just didn't finish. I think they will win game 7. And handily at that.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Yea the Caps had some great looks yesterday. Mike Green needs to start shooting the puck sooner. Twice he got a perfect feed into the slot and he held it too long. Pick a corner we all know you can.

I think they take care of business at home. 3-1. Green,Brouwer and Ovi.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
How many people at the start of the season would have been happy if you would have known that the Caps would be at home for a Game 7 in the opening round of the playoffs?

Well I and some others thought the roster from LAST year was a playoff team with a better coach, though probably a first round flameout. A bunch of new coaches and two top defensemen later and I would definitely expect a playoff appearance and at least a chance to advance.

I predicted Caps in 7 and I'm sticking to that although years of disappointment hang like a fog in the back of my brain.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Ovie is back to Oates hockey, hover and float.

This team loses game 7 because they are wearing a Caps jersey. Also, because Trotz and co. can't seem to figure out how to expose the inexperience on the Islanders D.

We will then proceed to hear the exact same excuses we have heard every year. Rinse and repeat.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz and Co. have faced a lot of the typical Caps stumbling blocks during the season and have managed to dig themselves out of ruts. They need a 3x20x100% performance like they gave in game 5 or else this season is filed away with all the others. All the talk and prep comes down to this one game. If they play their best and still lose, so be it. But another "they wanted it more" type of performance is going to lose a lot of people for a while.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
now we see the pitfall in trying to compete first year out with a new gm and new coach. if they had decided to weight for the youth, they would have had a couple of years of missing the playoffs to solidify their positions.

instead they decided to compete. they earned home ice. they built a built for the playoffs teams and won 3 of the first 5 games of a playoff series for the umpteenth time. if they lose the next game, they are fully tainted as being the next chapter of the same ole caps.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Our franchise player has been a liability for two games. We are playing another game 7, at home, and against Halak. How anyone can feel confident about this... I'm not sure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I certainly miss things. i just dont remember any memorable hits from him....

to start with he crushed Lubo before Willy got him. Pierre called it a hit from behind.

edit: on the series and the team. is it wrong that I wish they would just miss the playoffs rather than drag me thru this heartbreak every year?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad