Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Isles) 2015 Playoffs

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
And you're ignoring the relevant part of my post if you want to go in that direction. A good start would have been playing Burakovsky this past year and seeing where he fits.

They didn't do that? He started nicely and then faded at a pretty decent clip. IMO he should have been in Hershey all season. This development of every possibly halfway ready player in the NHL stuff has to stop.

Brouwer didn't keep Burakovsky from thriving, Burakovsky not being ready for the NHL did that...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Define ready, it's not a simple yes or no. You sure have a hard on for the hardline "you must develop in the minors" approach. I myself think you have to look at each individual. By many accounts, for a rookie he acquitted himself fairly well when he was in the lineup. Skill wise he's easily ready, physical strength was his only glaring weakness but not always. You can't deny he's had a positive impact since he was inserted into the postseason lineup.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Define ready, it's not a simple yes or no. You sure have a hard on for the hardline "you must develop in the minors" approach. I myself think you have to look at each individual. By many accounts, for a rookie he acquitted himself fairly well when he was in the lineup. Skill wise he's easily ready, physical strength was his only glaring weakness but not always. You can't deny he's had a positive impact since he was inserted into the postseason lineup.

Yes I feel players who aren't both physically ready for the NHL and have NHL ready games should be in the minors for a while. Yeah I'm really going out on a limb there...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes I feel players who aren't both physically ready for the NHL and have NHL ready games should be in the minors for a while. Yeah I'm really going out on a limb there...

Well since pretty much every team in the league makes exceptions for young talented players, I'd say your position as a hard liner is flawed in this case.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Physically unready for the NHL? Go play in the more physical, chippier AHL.

Yes, where they can adjust in a less stressful environment, develop their skills playing against men, and also develop the defensive game, which for young players is usually a problem. This has nothing to do with chippiness. It is all about learning the pro game, playing against men, and for Europeans to adjust to the North American rink in a place where the results aren't necessarily the most important things but instead the development of the player.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Yes, go play in the development league until you are close enough to physically developed that you can make an impact at the highest league.

Is the AHL really a development league for offensive forwards? I buy it for Goalies, dman and plugs, but who have the turned out in the past ten years or so? Spezza, Parise, Johnson (probably got pigeonholed due to size), Benn. It's a short list.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Results are ALWAYS the most important thing at all levels of professional sports. Nothing wrong with your development plan, but it's not what's always best. that every NHL team makes exceptions for skilled but physically immature player validates that a hard line approach to development isn't always best.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'll happily eat crow on the secondary scoring issue all summer if they keep it up for 3.25 more rounds.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Is the AHL really a development league for offensive forwards? I buy it for Goalies, dman and plugs, but who have the turned out in the past ten years or so? Spezza, Parise, Johnson (probably got pigeonholed due to size), Benn. It's a short list.

I think it depends on the state of the NHL team personally. If you know your team is bad and you aren't expecting to contend for a playoff spot and can commit to giving the young player the ice time they need to develop then I'm ok with that for the most part.

If you are looking to be a playoffs team but the player isn't ready and you can't commit to giving someone regular games, Burakovsky, or decent ice time, Wilson, then that is an absolute terrible development path IMO. This really comes down to ice time for me and feeling wherever you are going to be getting a lot of it is where you should be.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
On a different track, would it be totally inappropriate for Trotz to make room behind the bench for Huntsie for game 6?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Detroit certainly thinks so. And it's worked out pretty well for Nyquist and Tatar, and Pulkkinen is showing plenty of promise as well. Minus Jeff Blashill, I don't see why we couldn't build a successful pipeline like they have if this organization didn't stop rushing prospects into the NHL.
Other examples include Kesler, Callahan, Pacioretty, Sharp, Krejci, and Vanek.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Detroit certainly thinks so. And it's worked out pretty well for Nyquist and Tatar, and Pulkkinen is showing plenty of promise as well. Minus Jeff Blashill, I don't see why we couldn't build a successful pipeline like they have if this organization didn't stop rushing prospects into the NHL.
Other examples include Kesler, Callahan, Pacioretty, Sharp, Krejci, and Vanek.

I just took a quick glance at the 2005 draft class and Neal jumped out also.

IMO almost anyone can benefit from some time in the minors. It doesn't have to be a full season necessarily if you show you are above that level but I want players to prove they are ready to step up before being given NHL jobs and then watching them not develop very well because they are just not ready for the NHL for whatever reason.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I just took a quick glance at the 2005 draft class and Neal jumped out also.

IMO almost anyone can benefit from some time in the minors. It doesn't have to be a full season necessarily if you show you are above that level but I want players to prove they are ready to step up before being given NHL jobs and then watching them not develop very well because they are just not ready for the NHL for whatever reason.

It looks like I'm misinformed. Fair enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad