WC: Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Backlund....what exactly does he offer? He was benched last night dut to being completely useless....and on a team that is completely useless at that.

Berglund and Eriksson are the only great player on this team, the rest are a big meh..

I dont know what it is with Backlund and the relationship he has with sweden, But he clearly does not receive the opportunity to prove himself over their and has for the most part been on a short leash.

So he struggled in his first few shifts of a game, ( None in which caused a goal against, Only 3:00 Mins of icetime ) and he is benched for the remainder of the game? I guarantee the majority of the young players on that team are playing with very little confidence due to the fact that if they have an off shift they are at risk of being benched for the entire game. The coaching staff has to show confidence in his players in order to get the best results out of them.

I am also not just talking about Backlund either, From the looks/sounds of things you guys are very hard on your young guns and expect them to completely dominate a tournament of this fashion due to the fact they have played in the NHL.

From what I have seen at the NHL level, Tedenby, Josefson, OEL, MP, and Backlund all have what it takes to make an impact on their respective teams and have already done so.

None of these guys are terrible hockeys players, I Would say for the most part that your expectations are far to high. The roster you iced is competitive, but will be hard pressed to push for a medal due to the amount of invites rejected.

Last edited:

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Backlund doesn't bring anything of value compared to anyone else on the roster, I'd say. Compare with Jakob Silfverberg who has clearly been better than Backlund. Backlund also suffers from a bad tournament last year. The swedish people demands a lot of heart from anyone playing in Tre Kronor, and if that heart is questioned, players are gonna get flamed.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've heard a Swedish poster say that Silfverberg has the upside of a more versatile version of Loui Eriksson. Could this come true? He's still very young but he looks to have a very mature game and a lot of potential.

For example if I'm correct in what I've read most people would rank Silfverberg as having been one of the best players for Sweden since the prelims.

Silfverberg > Tedenby > Backlund in terms of performance so far?

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I've heard a Swedish poster say that Silfverberg has the upside of a more versatile version of Loui Eriksson. Could this come true? He's still very young but he looks to have a very mature game and a lot of potential.

For example if I'm correct in what I've read most people would rank Silfverberg as having been one of the best players for Sweden since the prelims.

Silfverberg > Tedenby > Backlund in terms of performance so far?

I don't see where the comparison with Loui Eriksson is made at all. They're not similar players, I'd think.

Silvferberg has been a positive surprise, but keep in mind that it's a bad tournament from Sweden so far. What has happened is that Silfverberg has gotten limited icetime but when he's been on the ice he's shown hunger, heart and speed. I'd say Tedenby has been better in general, but Silfverberg has been better than Backlund imo, not that that's a very difficult feat so far.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't see where the comparison with Loui Eriksson is made at all. They're not similar players, I'd think.

Silvferberg has been a positive surprise, but keep in mind that it's a bad tournament from Sweden so far. What has happened is that Silfverberg has gotten limited icetime but when he's been on the ice he's shown hunger, heart and speed. I'd say Tedenby has been better in general, but Silfverberg has been better than Backlund imo, not that that's a very difficult feat so far.

What has Tedenby done better? From what I've read most people were disappointed with him and that Silfverberg had been the better player throughout the tournament (although I haven't seen any games myself.)

Also Silfverberg has produced better than Tedenby at every level, and I don't know where the comparison to Eriksson came from, that's just what a Swedish poster said. I would love it if Silfverberg had that kind of upside for Ottawa.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Backlund doesn't bring anything of value compared to anyone else on the roster, I'd say. Compare with Jakob Silfverberg who has clearly been better than Backlund. Backlund also suffers from a bad tournament last year. The swedish people demands a lot of heart from anyone playing in Tre Kronor, and if that heart is questioned, players are gonna get flamed.

Again how do you make that determination with a total of 3:00 mins of ice time?

Sweden has showed little faith in Backlund for a while now, Not surprising to hear that his compete level is questioned.

Backlund brings speed, vision and good two way abilities. View him as he is now and not what he has done in the past.

Backlund's heart has never been questioned here in Calgary by Management or Media

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
What has Tedenby done better? From what I've read most people were disappointed with him and that Silfverberg had been the better player throughout the tournament (although I haven't seen any games myself.)
Tedenby will deke out a defender at least once per shift and roam the offensive zone with the puck on his stick. Backlund hasn't been doing squat.

Again how do you make that determination with a total of 3:00 mins of ice time?
Competition is stiff with 13 forwards. If you're not showing anything, chances are someone else gets a look.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Tedenby will deke out a defender at least once per shift and roam the offensive zone with the puck on his stick. Backlund hasn't been doing squat.

Competition is stiff with 13 forwards. If you're not showing anything, chances are someone else gets a look.

So he is the only one to struggle?

What about the likes of Nillson, Wallin, Ericsson, Sjogren or Thornberg.

Are they really more deserving of ice-time and opportunity?

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
So he is the only one to struggle?

What about the likes of Nillson, Wallin, Ericsson, Sjogren or Thornberg.

Are they really more deserving of ice-time and opportunity?
No, but he has struggled the most, I guess. He just seems a bit worn down. It's not like the coaching staff has it in for him, MÃ¥rts had him as the #1 center at the WJC.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
http://hockey.expressen.se/trekronor/1.2423964/marts-val-bankar-backlund-mot-usa

MÃ¥rts is sitting Backlund for todays game, hooray! Not a minute too soon. Now lets hope they can get rid of Tedenby and Wallin too when Washington gets eliminated :naughty:

I am trying to understand that article through a translation.

1. Tedenby/Backlund/Silverberg all play a similar game and did not click.
2. Want a prototypical center ( What does that mean? ) in Kruger to play between those two
3. More skilled than Kruger, but...showed less compete?
4. Will still be dressed as 13th forward?

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm

Also Silfverberg has produced better than Tedenby at every level, and I don't know where the comparison to Eriksson came from, that's just what a Swedish poster said. I would love it if Silfverberg had that kind of upside for Ottawa.

Tedenby can upset their entire defense and really dangle through. It was mainly against Austria that he shined, but it's just unlucky that he doesn't have 1-2 goals so far, and to me it's very obvious that he's been one of the better "Silver medalists" so far. Silfverberg hasn't got enough icetime.

I am trying to understand that article through a translation.

1. Tedenby/Backlund/Silverberg all play a similar game and did not click.
2. Want a prototypical center ( What does that mean? ) in Kruger to play between those two
3. More skilled than Kruger, but...showed less compete?
4. Will still be dressed as 13th forward?

1. MÃ¥rts thinks that Backlund plays too similarly to everyone else and doesn't bring anything unique (something I can agree on).
2. He wants a more typical center on that 3rd line, and Krüger was great against Austria.
3. He won't play Backlund as center anymore if he plays, MÃ¥rts thinks he's more suited as a winger if anything.
4. He will be dressed as the 13th forward, and then if someone else doesn't show enough heart, he'll get a chance to play and prove himself.

I pretty much fully agree with Mårts. Backlund hasn't been amazingly bad, but he hasn't been better than anyone else, and Krüger certainly outshone him in the Austria game. The 4th line isn't gonna be used that much, is my understanding. He might get a spot at Sjögrens spot on the 4th line.

xerox

Hockey pimp
Feb 9, 2011
I am a big fan of Tedenby. But these games he has played for sweden prior to and in the tournament he has been pretty useless actually.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I know I'm late to the party and I don't want to go threw 11 pages, so here's my question... Why isn't Adam Larsson part of your team?

Thanks ;)

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I know I'm late to the party and I don't want to go threw 11 pages, so here's my question... Why isn't Adam Larsson part of your team?

Thanks ;)

While he's a great junior player, he currently doesn't cut it in the Men's team. I think they could have gone either with him or Fernholm either way, but he wouldn't be in the top 4 pairing most likely, and they probably figured he'd be better off preparing for the draft and stuff.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Not good enough. Looked tired in the playoffs.

Not good enough, seriously? He's not better then Calle Gunnarsson, David Petrásek, Daniel Fernholm and Tim Erixon? I taught he logged solid minutes for one of the best teams in the SEL :dunno:

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Not good enough, seriously? He's not better then Calle Gunnarsson, David Petrásek, Daniel Fernholm and Tim Erixon?

Ok :dunno:

Calle Gunnarsson has had a good season in Toronto, especially the later part of it, Petrasek is a good european defenseman with a lot of experience (something that the team lacked), Erixon looked better than Larsson in the playoffs, Larsson looked tired.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Calle Gunnarsson has had a good season in Toronto, especially the later part of it, Petrasek is a good european defenseman with a lot of experience (something that the team lacked), Erixon looked better than Larsson in the playoffs, Larsson looked tired.

Ok... thanks for the info ;)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Not good enough, seriously? He's not better then Calle Gunnarsson, David Petrásek, Daniel Fernholm and Tim Erixon? I taught he logged solid minutes for one of the best teams in the SEL :dunno:

He's 18 :) One year left as a junior, his time will come for this tournament.

jeremywilhelm

Oct 17, 2008
Backlund, much like Berglund had to, needs to grow a little more. Between the ears and head to toe. Decent player in the NHL. But he definitely needs some improvement physically.

Hopetus

Apr 29, 2011
Havent been able to watch any of team Swedens games so far, but Fasth has been great at least when looking at his numbers (53/55 saved). Do you think he will be your starting goalie for the rest of the tournament?

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Havent been able to watch any of team Swedens games so far, but Fasth has been great at least when looking at his numbers (53/55 saved). Do you think he will be your starting goalie for the rest of the tournament?

Yes. That's what MÃ¥rts has indicated at least. And there's a looot of hype for Fasth in the media so he'll probably be #1.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Backlund's climb back for a spot just got higher after this game. But like people said, it's not because he's been bad, if somebody gets injured he'll be fine to fill in. It's just that there are many solid two-way players on this team, and Backlund doesn't have anything unique that can be used or makes him more useful.

-Wallin is the captain and 'leader', PK guy.
-Sjögren and Ericsson are big bodies(Hi Pierre), good PK guys and meanwhile had a good offensive game tonight.
-Silfverberg plays with more grit and energy.
-Tedenby possesses more offense and plays PP.
-Krüger has just all-around been great in his two games from start.
-The rest are untouchable for Backlund on this team, we're not changing the top6 barring injuries.

Eriksson is questionable for the next game, and since it's against France, Backlund might get to play in that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad