WC: Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Backlund could perhaps get Tedenbys spot, since the little guy haven't had much sucess yet, but well Tedenby is so much fun to watch, we need him for the entertainment.

Backlund was pretty invisible in the games he played leading up to WC and against Norway, so the decision to bench him was ok.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Out of the younger Swedes, which one of Backlund, Tedenby, OEL or MPS have impressed you guys the most?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Out of the younger Swedes, which one of Backlund, Tedenby, OEL or MPS have impressed you guys the most?

Maybe not impressed because he is that good, but OEL is the most important to our team imo. Up front MPS is still the best among the younger players, but Krüger has had a good showing too so far too.

winther88

Apr 13, 2010
Trollhättan

It's hard to say since I have different expectations on each player.

If I only judge them for their influence on the team so far there's no doubt that MPS has been the best of the four. He's the only one that has been playing solid for all three games.

OEL had a slow start after his arrival but has been playing better and better all the time. I think he showed what he can do today when he was a dominant force all over the ice against the U.S.

Both Backlund and Tedenby have been disappointments. Backlund seems to have some problems to adjust to the bigger ice surface and is always a bit to late in every situation and Tedenby is just trying to do a little too much with the puck.

Of the other young players I must say that Tim Erixon has been playing great and he has probably been the best of the six young players you're mentioning after MPS. He's always in the right position defensively and has a nice first pass up the ice.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I think OEL has been the best one, followed by Erixon, Pääjärvi and Silfverberg. Tedenby has been "ok" but not actually gotten much done, and Backlund, well, once again he's not contributing that much.

jeremywilhelm

Oct 17, 2008
I honestly think Backlund has a more north american style game. He adapted extremely quickly to north american style hockey, and always played very well at WJC with the smaller ice. He might just not be comfortable with the big ice, like alot of NA born players are. Weird, but maybe true.

Jocke

Feb 9, 2010
So who expects Bäckström to join the team? I have a feeling he is hurt and/or wants to rest due to a bad season.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Backlund could perhaps get Tedenbys spot, since the little guy haven't had much sucess yet, but well Tedenby is so much fun to watch, we need him for the entertainment.

Backlund was pretty invisible in the games he played leading up to WC and against Norway, so the decision to bench him was ok.

Tedenby has been good, much better than the complete uselessness AKA Backlund. What a complete waste of a roster spot.

Probably OEL, but he still looks worse than he did a year ago. MPS is also looking good. Look above for the grade on Backlund.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It should have been Marcus Johansson who got the request, not Bäckström.

Also seems there is a possibility Loui Eriksson might miss the rest of the tournament with a groin pull that he received after the dirty treatment by the US defensemen in the final 2 minutes of the game vs USA.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Well, we can afford to rest Loui against France, and possibly Switzerland too, preferably not obviously. I think Switzerland should not be underestimated, as much as we beat the Americans, we could easily have an off night and lose against Switzerland.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I don't get why Marcus Johansson shouldn't get a invite. The later half of the season he has played great and probably have been better than Bäckström. He is yet another center, and yet another youngster but you could just move one of the centers to the wing. Johansson is better than for example Krüger in my opinion. He is probably better than Wallin and Niklas Persson too, but I doubt Mårts have any plans to bench those two.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Would be great to see Johansson on this team. This is the future of Sweden, how many players age 23 or younger do we have on the team, 8?

Berglund
Paajarvi
OEL
Tedenby
Erixon
Backlund
Silfverberg
Krúger

And most of them are under the age of 21

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well, we can afford to rest Loui against France, and possibly Switzerland too, preferably not obviously. I think Switzerland should not be underestimated, as much as we beat the Americans, we could easily have an off night and lose against Switzerland.

If the Swiss stick with Genoni you are going to need all of your top players to beat them. He's very good.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Would be great to see Johansson on this team. This is the future of Sweden, how many players age 23 or younger do we have on the team, 8?

Berglund
Paajarvi
OEL
Tedenby
Erixon
Backlund
Silfverberg
Krúger

And most of them are under the age of 21

You are forgetting Mattias Sjögren (23 years old), so nine. Thats great. Especially since we also have guys like:

Erik Karlsson
Victor Hedman
Marcus Johansson
Nicklas Bäckström
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Linus Omark

That is 23 years or younger that could have been on the team. Plus a couple of wild cards, that wouldn't look out of place like:

Mattias Ekholm
David Rundblad
Anton Lander
Simon Hjalmarsson
Sebastian Erixon
Jacob Josefson
Jhonas Enroth
Adam Larsson
Markström/ Lehner

to name a few.
It looks like we have a bright future ahead of us.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Johansson faded away as the playoffs went on imo, went -5 against Tampa, but overall he was surprisingly good. On the other hand, is he the kind of guy that steps in in his debut and is good enough to overcome lack of chemistry with other players? Or do we badly need his PK services on this team? I don't really think so. We said no to Josefsson, Backlund is already benched. Mårts' own view of these players is probably that they don't differ too much at this point, and I kind of agree. We're talking 4-5 games and two spots are open, makes sense to just ask Bäckis(who doesn't seem to be coming) and wait for Detroit to bow out. We could need N.Kronwall badly.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Not too impressed about any of those unfortunatly.

OEL was good against the americans, so if we go for the "your only as good as your last game opinion" he's the best.

MPS had a good game against Austria. Overall an acceptable performance from him.

Backlund and Tedenby need to get better. Better passing game in particular is needed from those two.

Of the other young players Krüger and Erixon has played fairly well.

Krüger is playing a silent but pretty decent defensive role, as not too bad offensively either. Erixon is not too bad. Playes with some well needed grit.

The best player for Sweden (of the skaters at least) is Berglund though, and he's pretty young still. It will be interesting to see how he will fair against tougher competition. If he do well against them, and score, he will be a household name in Sweden.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
And now MÃ¥rts has started a controversy by sticking to Ersberg, although Ersberg has been shaky and played like crap, while Fasth has been solid. Although it's understandable to play two goalies since it's back-to-back games, it's rather obvious Fasth should be playing the tougher opponent of the two, Canada.

I can understand the reasoning behind "play Fasth to secure the QF by beating Switzerland" though.

Why not scratch Ersberg and play Anders Nilsson?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad