WC: Roster Talk '11 – Sweden

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
So why don't MÃ¥rts call Jacob Josefsson now that Harju have said no. From what I have seen from his New Jersey games that's a damn good player in the making. He is very "valpig" but he wont make many defensive lapses and I think he could be productive paired with Tedenby. I don't know I just like that player and was surprised by how well he played after his long injurie.

Theres not much separating all theese ok options like Krüger, Backlund, Wandell and so on, but I just like Josefsson the most of theese kids.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
So why don't MÃ¥rts call Jacob Josefsson now that Harju have said no. From what I have seen from his New Jersey games that's a damn good player in the making. He is very "valpig" but he wont make many defensive lapses and I think he could be productive paired with Tedenby. I don't know I just like that player and was surprised by how well he played after his long injurie.

Theres not much separating all theese ok options like Krüger, Backlund, Wandell and so on, but I just like Josefsson the most of theese kids.

Why do I get the sense that most Swedes do not appreciate what Backlund has to offer in comparison to the likes of Josefson?

Is it solely based on the fact he did not play in the Swedish Elite League that shapes your opinions?

Neblod Zin

Oct 3, 2006
Finland
Why do I get the sense that most Swedes do not appreciate what Backlund has to offer in comparison to the likes of Josefson?

Is it solely based on the fact he did not play in the Swedish Elite League that shapes your opinions?

Backlund wasn't very good back at Sweden and didn't even put up the points in the second league level. That might have affected people's opinions about him. Can't blame them though.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Backlund wasn't very good back at Sweden and didn't even put up the points in the second league level. That might have affected people's opinions about him. Can't blame them though.

He was obviously doing something right over their because he was projected to go earlier than he was selected before a knee injury in his draft year. He was also playing behind Patrick Berglund in SWE-1, which certainly did not help his numbers or ice time.

He had a couple good showing's for their country at the WJC's, which you would think would have eased their concerns about him not playing in the SEL due to lack of opportunity.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He had a couple good showing's for their country at the WJC's, which you would think would have eased their concerns about him not playing in the SEL due to lack of opportunity.
Why? The WJCs is playing against jr players. It bears less weight in Europe since so many jr players completly luck out at the senior level. Or scorers turn talentless grinders like Dingman..

He didn't play in the SEL because he wanted to stay with Västerås, where he didn't really impress.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Who is Loui Eriksson playing with? Also, I'm curious what most Swedes have to say on this subject, is Eriksson the best player on the roster?

Thanks.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Who is Loui Eriksson playing with? Also, I'm curious what most Swedes have to say on this subject, is Eriksson the best player on the roster?

Thanks.

Robert Nilsson(the former Oiler) and Niklas Persson(Tampa/KHL this season). On the other question, yes.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010

People don't like Backlund because he was horrible in the last WC, I really mean horrible. That he didn't play in SEL and didn't really impress in Allsvenskan doesn't make the whole thing a lot better either.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009

Thanks.

Eriksson is the best. The fact that the looks a bit like Patrick Bateman makes him even better

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I only caught the OT and SO last game, how much did Kruger play (if at all) and who was he playing with? And did he play well (if he did play)?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I only caught the OT and SO last game, how much did Kruger play (if at all) and who was he playing with? And did he play well (if he did play)?

He barely played in the first game, he was the 13th forward. Today he played with Silfverberg and Tedenby for about 12 minutes, and he's looking pretty good so far.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
I've read some of the sweden game threads... has gunnarsson been that bad? I remember him being pretty solid last year(from what I saw)... are just some guys just slumping pretty hard because of the coach or just a lack of not caring, fitness, etc?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Backlund....what exactly does he offer? He was benched last night dut to being completely useless....and on a team that is completely useless at that.

Berglund and Eriksson are the only great player on this team, the rest are a big meh..

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Backlund....what exactly does he offer? He was benched last night dut to being completely useless....and on a team that is completely useless at that.

Not much besides good hockey sense, good hands, a 98mph slapshot, and is defensively responsible. Either than that he's useless.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Berglund and Eriksson are the only great player on this team, the rest are a big meh..
Pretty sure many of the players on the team would rather be starting their summer workout program getting ready for their seasons next year. Be thankful they chose to represent their country for no money.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Pretty sure many of the players on the team would rather be starting their summer workout program getting ready for their seasons next year. Be thankful they chose to represent their country for no money.

Pretty sure you are very wrong

NextToYou*

Do you think Fasth will be the solid 1st goalie from now on? Any reliable info? Thanks.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I think MÃ¥rts can't help but play Fasth now, even though Ersberg might have been #1 from the start. Everyone has jumped on the Fasth-train, and he is one of the few glimpses of light in the team so far. If he dosen't start, MÃ¥rts will be very very heavily critisized.

What I'm mostly worried about is our defense still. Sooo many times that Petrasek, Kronwall and OEL have taken shots on an opponent who gets a breakaway, or just lost the puck on the offensive blue. It has to stop, if the defensemen keeps losing the pucks offensively, we'll get eaten alive by the better teams.

ZDatsZuke

This year, maybe
Mar 23, 2010
Bergie and Louie, the best players and leaders of the team, Berglund should have gotten the C, not Wallin:help:

Erixon, Ekman-Larsson, Gunnarsson, Grossman, are the best on D, the vets are absolutley not good enough, and never was:shakehead
Given up way too many breakaways, could as well have used Rundblad and gotten som real offense out of it.

Silfverberg suprisingly good, and Kruger plays solid. Tedenby got better in the end but looked small in the first game and most part of the second, hopefully can get his confident back against the US.

Backlund.. used a bit bad. very hard to see. Would like to try him with Loui and Persson, (Nilsson is as invisible as Backlund), or with Paajarvi and Berglund.

Thörnberg, Nilsson.. Nilsson has to be better, I really don't know what to expect from Thörnberg!?, Ericsson, Wallin, Sjögren, what is that line supposed to be? defensive?

Good thing Fasth could get some saves and build up confidence, lets hope it lasts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad