WC: Roster Talk '11 – Finland

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
how many of the current Ds will make the WC roster? it was one of the worst defensive effort i've ever seen from a finnish team.

Apparently not many, maybe 1? or 2...those elitserien D's just dont cut it, horrible. I guess motivation for these games is the biggest issue though.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Apparently not many, maybe 1? or 2...those elitserien D's just dont cut it, horrible. I guess motivation for these games is the biggest issue though.

i don't get the motivation thing though. if you're not among those who will likely WC, these games are a chance to show something. that's what the whole exhibition thing is good for or at least should be.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
i don't get the motivation thing though. if you're not among those who will likely WC, these games are a chance to show something. that's what the whole exhibition thing is good for or at least should be.

I know, I dont get what Jukka Peltola and Tommi Huhtala are doing, they were -3. But if anything it's a learning process.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
In the worst case he could be added as an extra forward to the roster, play him in the opening round robin games, if he sucks, bench him.

Regardless I don't think it would be too much of a gamble adding him to the final roster.

This. Four games, 2+2 and +3. The way I see it, Granlund will play from the start (in the wing) and Pulu will make his debut in the round robin games. Lahti, Pyörälä, Huhtala, Peltola and Aaltonen were far worse against Germany, even though JMA had some nice moves as usual.

But you never can be too sure with Jalonen. Two WHC tournaments and two first round exits. Is he willing to take any risks and leave his comfort zone? Part of me says that he is going to leave all the young guys home and pick his normal "Pihlström, Hytönen, Pyörälä, Peltonen, Immonen" lineup. Then after another first round loss and 11 scored goals in seven games, he curses the lack of finnish snipers and gets a multi-year extension from Kummola :shakehead

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Yeah it's time to go young, so have other nations and it's like putting money in the bank.

god Pyörälä is awful.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Here are my new offensive lines:

Leino/Bergenheim/Aaltonen - M.Koivu - V.Filppula/Korpikoski (1 of them will probably be available)

T.Ruutu - N.Kapanen - Granlund

Joensuu - J.Immonen - Pulkkinen

Peltonen - Komarov - Hartikainen/Petrell/J.Ruutu/Pihlström

13. Puustinen

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Not too many quality finnish coaches out there ready to take Jalonen's spot. I would rather hold on to him for few more years and then ask Suikkanen.

No no no.... I've had enough with Jalonen. During his reign, we have lost against Hungary, Denmark, Belarus and now Germany. The Olympics were a disaster. Yeah, we got the bronze, fine. But Sweden and USA kicked our ***** and we didn't have to face Canada or Russia. And there was friction within the team, caused by Jalonen and his staff. After the second round against Slovakia, Saku Koivu had to take over. That says a lot. Two quarter final losses in a row at World Championships. He values experience over potential. "EHL games are more competitive than regular season NHL games", remember that one?

I like Suikkanen, he's succeeded everywhere he's coached. But I have to go with Petri Matikainen. I assume that Heikkilä and Westerlund are not interested. Unlike Jukka Jalonen, Matikainen seems like a humble guy. He prefers more straight forward and grittier style, the way Team Finland used to play. He's worked with a very young group of players for some time now, a plus in my book. His team always seems to give 110% on the ice and are always ready to play. Huge difference to current national team. And unlike Suikkanen, after this season Matikainen will have experience about hockey at international level.

But the main reason why Matikainen is my favourite, is how he has done in the playoffs. Second time in four years he has taken his team to the finals. IIRC this year Blues were ninth when playoffs started. They don't have a very skilled team, their highest scorer is a defenseman. But somehow they managed to beat this years regular season winner and runner-up. I'm pretty sure that his ability to get the underdogs to succeed and Team Finland would be a good combination.

Then again, Matikainen and Suikkanen would be a pretty awesome too :yo:

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I want R.Summanen back as the head coach but i don't think it would be easy to find a good assistant coach that wants to work with him knowing his past...

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
But the thing is some of the posters are naive, you dont win gold in WC by always otworking your opponent. It's impossible and thats why you need talent score in games where you have been the less dominant team.

No matter how good your team is sometimes you have the just have to defend and then strike on the chances you get, sometimes your able dominate totally, but not always.

Lets face it, the style we play wears players down cause the international tournaments are played in a such a short period of time. No matter how hard you train but its just against the fysics. It's also the reason for our many final losses.

To be honoust we havent won anything in 15 years and it all that matters. Jalonen's style of hockey is the only way to do it if you do. I dont care about silver or bronze.

I think its plain stupid to pick hardworking guys over talent. In modern hockey you dont have defensive line's either, player's are some much better both ways these days. So there is nothing wrong with Jalonen's systems and they are far the best compaired to any coach we have had. Some players picks are just questionable.

But yeah rediccilous that some internet neards talk **** here about what they know nothing about.

The thing is you have to be at your best in the Final and you are not if you have had to out work your opponent in every 6-7 previos games. You dont build you stamina in a week or too. It's from the season and from years of hard work. But during the tournament you need all the rest u can get. I also dont get why the finnish hockey team practices during the tournament so hard and even on the game days. There really is no point.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Summanen would be awesome, really. Now that Saku and the old guarde that would be against it (defending the honor of *sRacial Slur* Niinimaa) are no longer playing it could actually work out.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
To be honoust we havent won anything in 15 years and it all that matters. Jalonen's style of hockey is the only way to do it if you do. I dont care about silver or bronze.

How is this working out so far? Just take a look at how we played in Turin 2006 compared to Vancouver 2010 with almost identical rosters. Jalonen's style could be the way to go on paper but he never gets the team to fire from all cylinders. Not a good quality for a national team coach. One thing that also irritates me is that his lines are always written in stone, especially in powerplay. Not a good thing in short tournaments.

The main objective for national team coach should be getting results (= winning medals). Thats how its always been. IMO the only thing Jalonen has kept his job is the olympic bronze (and also because his Kummola's boy). Jalonen should thank Olli Jokinen for that medal. And the ironic thing is that OJ has retired from international hockey, at least as long as Jalonen is at the helm.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
How is this working out so far? Just take a look at how we played in Turin 2006 compared to Vancouver 2010 with almost identical rosters. Jalonen's style could be the way to go on paper but he never gets the team to fire from all cylinders. Not a good quality for a national team coach. One thing that also irritates me is that his lines are always written in stone, especially in powerplay. Not a good thing in short tournaments.

The main objective for national team coach should be getting results (= winning medals). Thats how its always been. IMO the only thing Jalonen has kept his job is the olympic bronze (and also because his Kummola's boy). Jalonen should thank Olli Jokinen for that medal. And the ironic thing is that OJ has retired from international hockey, at least as long as Jalonen is at the helm.

Blaa blaa winning means being number 1 and nothing less. Compairing 2006 and 2010 is pointless. Jokinen is a duche, who cares about one player?

It doesnt matter how we win as long as we win. Often when we win, you hear things like didn't win with enough goals or we got some lucky bounces and didn't derve it, or something like that. Cmon be proud and get some confidence so you dont have to come and whine here. Sounds so childish and insecure.

Last edited:

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
I disagree.

What have we won in Jalonen's reign? Euro Hockey Tour in 2009?

Nothing but neither have the previous once and your saying 2006 was somehow better?

So you totally ignore the good points? troll?

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Waiting for next cuts... So typical choices of Jalonen, potential guys like Donskoi are dropped but tourist like Peltola are still in camp.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Nothing but neither have the previous once and your saying 2006 was somehow better?
I have trouble understanding the first part of the sentence but was 2006 somehow better? Absolutely.

Turin 2006

vs Switzerland 5-0
vs Italy 6-0
vs Czechs 4-2
vs Canada 2-0
vs Germany 2-0

vs USA 4-3
vs Russia 4-0
vs Sweden 1-2

Four games against tougher opponents, three wins.

Vancouver 2010

vs Belarus 5-1
vs Germany 5-0
vs Sweden 0-3

vs Czechs 2-0
vs USA 1-6
vs Slovakia 5-3

Two games against tougher opponents, two losses after horrific display.

So you totally ignore the good points? troll?
Yeah, just because I don't agree with you on Jalonen i'm a troll. I respect what Jalonen is trying to do but it is pretty obvious that it is not working. Sorry OT.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I have trouble understanding the first part of the sentence but was 2006 somehow better? Absolutely.

Turin 2006

vs Switzerland 5-0
vs Italy 6-0
vs Czechs 4-2
vs Canada 2-0
vs Germany 2-0

vs USA 4-3
vs Russia 4-0
vs Sweden 1-2

Vancouver 2010

vs Belarus 5-1
vs Germany 5-0
vs Sweden 0-3

vs Czechs 2-0
vs USA 1-6
vs Slovakia 5-3

Yeah, just because I don't agree with you on Jalonen i'm a troll. I respect what Jalonen is trying to do but it is pretty obvious that it is not working. Sorry OT.

Totally agree. Bruno is probably related to Jalonen or something, otherwise it's impossible to understand his views.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland

Turin 2006

vs Switzerland 5-0
vs Italy 6-0
vs Czechs 4-2
vs Canada 2-0
vs Germany 2-0

vs USA 4-3
vs Russia 4-0
vs Sweden 1-2

Vancouver 2010

vs Belarus 5-1
vs Germany 5-0
vs Sweden 0-3

vs Czechs 2-0
vs USA 1-6
vs Slovakia 5-3

You counted Czech as a tough opponent in Turin but not in Vancouver? Why so? And Slovakia is a part of Big 7 as well. So it's four tough games and two losses in Vancouver. /Just nitpicking

But I agree that Turin was WAY better than Vancouver, Finland won Canada 2-0 and Russia 4-0! Those are some kick-ass results, and we didn't get blown up in the Finals either, It was a tight game. I doubt that we can see that happening with Jalonen.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
You counted Czech as a tough opponent in Turin but not in Vancouver? Why so? And Slovakia is a part of Big 7 as well. So it's four tough games and two losses in Vancouver. /Just nitpicking

The way I see it Canada, Sweden, USA and Russia were favorites against Finland in both tournaments. And Finland had better team than the Czechs and the Slovaks. So in Turin we won Canada, USA & Russia and lost the gold medal game against Sweden (3 out of 4). In Vancouver we got our ***** kicked by USA and Sweden (0 out of 2).

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Not really, he lacks defensive abilities. Half the time he gives up on the play, have you seen any canes games?

I've seen all Canes-games in the last 2 years and saying he lacks defensive abilities is just ********. When he's on, he's very good defensively as well, you're talking like he's still the Philly's Joni. Problem with Pitkänen is consistency, not lack of any abilities generally useful to d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad