Roster speculation XVIII - We're getting closer to things happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So, oh grand talent evaluator, what does he do well enough to offset this?

Pretty much all you've done in this thread is outright dismiss people's eyes and mock stats. And sure, every player makes mistakes, but Bogosians are consistently more frequent and/or costly than his peers.

I haven't dismissed people's eyes. I said I disagreed with his overall assessment while admitting he has had those issues he discussed.
Keep up.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The only scenario where Bogo gets moved is one where we bring in another RHD. However, I just don't see that happening. Next year we can revisit it with the expansion draft.

I'd like to circle back around to the LHD discussion. The D issue is still very much one for the Ducks. Consider their expansion dilemma.

Protect 3D (NMC's forced)

Bieksa, Vantanen, Lindholm

Protect 8 Total:

Getzaf Perry Kesler (all NMC) One of Rackell/Silfverberg
Bieksa, Vantanen, Lindolm, Fowler

Either option also leaves Despres open for taking as well.

The likely scenario is that

A) They move Despres now for value, move Fowler next year before the expansion draft
B) Move Fowler now and re-evaluate with Despres's value after a healthy season
C) Somehow get rid of Bieksa before the expansion draft (Will the buyout window come before the expansion draft happens?)

Either way, they are going to thin the herd with the blueline. The question is who they move.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I'm not a big proposal guy but I woke up this morning with this in my head... you'll probably tell me to go back to bed.

8th + Bogo + something smaller ( a third maybe?) -> EDM for 4

4 + Girg + 38 -> ANA for Lindholm. (not enough? too much?) But ANA is cap strapped, and they can keep Vatanen, Fowler and Despres. They may be forced to keep Bieksa. They all say they need an LW. Matt Tkachuk is there at 4.

Buffalo gives up 8, 38, Bogo and Girg for their #1 defenseman and Risto's countryman and they run the show for the next 10 years. They also pick up Bogo's $5/mil a year to give to someone else. Worth it to me.

(edit: I don't trust Bogo to stay healthy. Girgensons gets lost in the shuffle)

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Pipe dream roster time:

Kane-Stamkos-Eberle
Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-ROR-Gionta
Deslauriers-Larsson-Bailey/Fasching

Yandle-Risto
McCabe-Pysyk
Gorges-Franson

Bogo + Girgensons + 8 OA for Eberle + 4 OA

Sign Stamkos and Yandle.

Profit.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I'd rather have Bogo just for the off chance that he decides to go on a psychotic rampage again, he must be real good in the room as well.. Myers is just a softy no matter how hard he tried to be tough

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Pipe dream roster time:

Kane-Stamkos-Eberle
Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-ROR-Gionta

Yandle-Risto
McCabe-Pysyk
Gorges-Franson

Sign Stamkos and Yandle.

Profit.
My pipe dream has a better top 4.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'd rather have Bogo just for the off chance that he decides to go on a psychotic rampage again, he must be real good in the room as well.. Myers is just a softy no matter how hard he tried to be tough
We wanted Myers to be tough so bad. I remember jumping around like a crazy man when he put old Chris Pronger on his but during the playoffs.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Pipe dream roster time:

Kane-Stamkos-Eberle
Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-ROR-Gionta

Yandle-Risto
McCabe-Pysyk
Gorges-Franson

Sign Stamkos and Yandle.

Profit.

That defense just made me throw up a little

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
My pipe dream has a better top 4.

Fine. Sign Vesey, trade Ennis/Foligno/Larsson + 2017 1st for (insert defenseman here).

I didn't have a strong feeling about it, so I left it as is. And the Pens should've made us all realize how easy it is for average defenders to play behind great forwards.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I'm not a big proposal guy but I woke up this morning with this in my head... you'll probably tell me to go back to bed.

8th + Bogo + something smaller ( a third maybe?) -> EDM for 4

4 + Girg + 38 -> ANA for Lindholm. (not enough? too much?) But ANA is cap strapped, and they can keep Vatanen, Fowler and Despres. They may be forced to keep Bieksa. They all say they need an LW. Matt Tkachuk is there at 4.

Buffalo gives up 8, 38, Bogo and Girg for their #1 defenseman and Risto's countryman and they run the show for the next 10 years. They also pick up Bogo's $5/mil a year to give to someone else. Worth it to me.

(edit: I don't trust Bogo to stay healthy. Girgensons gets lost in the shuffle)

Maybe take one of Bieksa/Stoner off their hands, too in order to make it more enticing for them. And Lindholm is a Swede, so pretty much the opposite of Risto's countryman. :laugh:

That being said, the point of the whole freeing up salary thing for Anaheim is to re-sign Lindholm. Other than due to some major differences in contract negotiations, I can't imagine them giving up on him, tbh. Just go ask Ducks fans.
Fine. Sign Vesey, trade Ennis/Foligno/Larsson + 2017 1st for (insert defenseman here).

I didn't have a strong feeling about it, so I left it as is. And the Pens should've made us all realize how easy it is for average defenders to play behind great forwards.
I'd say you have it backwards.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Until we have someone like Letang we cant say see Pittsburgh.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Pipe dream roster time:

Kane-Stamkos-Eberle
Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-ROR-Gionta

Yandle-Risto
McCabe-Pysyk
Gorges-Franson

Sign Stamkos and Yandle.

Profit.

That trade makes me a little sick to my stomach. The cap between 8 and 4 is Pysyk or a 2nd.

Eberle is a one dimensional forward who puts up offense against teams poor QoC. Now given, he DOES produce. But, I'd imagine he'd be pretty useless in the playoffs.

No thanks at all.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
That trade makes me a little sick to my stomach. The cap between 8 and 4 is Pysyk or a 2nd.

Eberle is a one dimensional forward who puts up offense against teams poor QoC. Now given, he DOES produce. But, I'd imagine he'd be pretty useless in the playoffs.

No thanks at all.

Eberle is small, soft and slow in addition to what you said. He'd be a terrible fit for this team.

That trade would make us significantly, softer, smaller, slower and defensively worse.

Horrible.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Eberle is small, soft and slow in addition to what you said. He'd be a terrible fit for this team.

That trade would make us significantly, softer, smaller, slower and defensively worse.

Horrible.

This team has plenty of size and grit. What they lack in a MAJOR way is skill, which is exactly what he brings.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He also scores goals. People around here really hate that.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
This team has plenty of size and grit. What they lack in a MAJOR way is skill, which is exactly what he brings.

We have enough skill where it matters the most - center.

Whether you want to follow Kings' or Pens' "model", Eberle fits neither.

You want players who have size/grit AND speed. Those players are not that easy to get. Girgs and Bogo both check that box.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We have enough skill where it matters the most - center.

Whether you want to follow Kings' or Pens' "model", Eberle fits neither.

You want players who have size/grit AND speed. Those players are not that easy to get. Girgs and Bogo both check that box.
Let's not act like similar things weren't said about Phil Kessel and Jeff Carter that are said about Eberle.

These players fit in, they don't lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad