Roster speculation XVIII - We're getting closer to things happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Let's not act like similar things weren't said about Phil Kessel and Jeff Carter that are said about Eberle.

These players fit in, they don't lead.

Carter has size, Kessel speed. That's why they fit. Them being leaders or not means pretty much nothing when considering how they worked in their given systems.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Carter has size, Kessel speed. That's why they fit. Them being leaders or not means pretty much nothing when considering how they worked in their given systems.

Eberle would work in LA and Pittsburgh. He would fit in.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He also scores goals. People around here really hate that.

Posts like this make me love when you whine that people mischaracterize your posts. Pot, kettle, yada yada...

Let's not act like similar things weren't said about Phil Kessel and Jeff Carter that are said about Eberle.

These players fit in, they don't lead.

Eberle wasn't really asked to be a leader in the way that Carter was in Cbus and, to a lesser extent, Philly, or Kessel in Toronto. Eberle also doesn't have the positional versatility or proven ability to drive play against opponents' best players like Carter did, or Kessel's production as the focus of every one of the Leafs' opponents. A lot of the criticisms of those two players were overblown (beers, hot dogs, oh my!) or unfair. While I'm not opposed to Eberle, at a fair price, I don't think his situation is similar to Carter or Kessel.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Posts like this make me love when you whine that people mischaracterize your posts. Pot, kettle, yada yada...

Eberle wasn't really asked to be a leader in the way that Carter was in Cbus and, to a lesser extent, Philly, or Kessel in Toronto. Eberle also doesn't have the positional versatility or proven ability to drive play against opponents' best players like Carter did, or Kessel's production as the focus of every one of the Leafs' opponents. A lot of the criticisms of those two players were overblown (beers, hot dogs, oh my!) or unfair. While I'm not opposed to Eberle, at a fair price, I don't think his situation is similar to Carter or Kessel.
It's easy to say those opinions were unfair now.

Eberle also was developed on the worst team in hockey without any leadership around him. So even if he wasn't the guy in Edmonton, he had nothing to follow.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Do you really project those guys to be 1st liners?

Is Connor Sheary a 1st liner?

With guys like Eichel and Reinhart and ROR.....terms like "1st liners" need to be thrown out the window. Find guys that work well with your top offensive threats, and they don't need to be 1st line talent.

Girgensons isnt a 1st line talent and worked awfully well with Eichel last year.
Hecht wasn't a 1st line talent but just meshed with Briere perfectly.

That's what we need.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Fast, beats guys to pucks, wins battles, physical, forces turn-overs. Why would you want that on the first line?

Because what you described is a great checking line wing. Either way, those players can fit almost anywhere in the top 9. For Bylsma it's a matter of finding a couple guys that play well together, or can cover each others' weaknesses. It doesn't matter a whole lot what line they're on, as long as they work well with their linemates and can fulfill that line's responsibilities.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

With guys like Eichel and Reinhart and ROR.....terms like "1st liners" need to be thrown out the window. Find guys that work well with your top offensive threats, and they don't need to be 1st line talent.

Girgensons isnt a 1st line talent and worked awfully well with Eichel last year.

That's what we need.

Wonder twin powers, activate! :cheers:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Fast, beats guys to pucks, wins battles, physical, forces turn-overs. Why would you want that on the first line?

The Kane that we got the last 10 games of his season or so is absolutely a top line guy.

Problem is, is that the Kane we get going forward? Or is it the puck-myopic one that doesn't pass and we saw for much of the season?

I'm not ready to say what EK is yet, because we saw 2 vastly different versions of him this year.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

That's what we need.

Did he really? We are a bad team that needs better players. That couldn't have been more obvious than when Girgensons was skating in the top 6. It was night and day from when Kane was on that line towards the end of the season. Did some of you really actually think our forwards were good enough last year?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The Kane that we got the last 10 games of his season or so is absolutely a top line guy.

Problem is, is that the Kane we get going forward? Or is it the puck-myopic one that doesn't pass and we saw for much of the season?

I'm not ready to say what EK is yet, because we saw 2 vastly different versions of him this year.

It doesn't matter, because you want THAT Kane going forward, and that is why you trade up for Tkachuk. So when Kane leaves, you have a good chance of improving that spot.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Did he really? We are a bad team that needs better players. That couldn't have been more obvious than when Girgensons was skating in the top 6. It was night and day from when Kane was on that line towards the end of the season. Did some of you really actually think our forwards were good enough last year?

On an unrelated note, how much long are you required to have that avatar :laugh:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This is the argument for not trying to improve our forwards???

Improve has such a sketchy definition here. I'm not looking for the most talented guys to improve our forward group. I'm looking for guys that will fit best with ROR, Jack and Sam. They don't need to be a guy like Tkachuk or some other high-talent, high-cost (eventually) guy.

How Pittsburgh won the Cup is easy to ID: a speedy forward corps that ran 3 lines deep in scoring ability and a mobile defense that blocked everything in sight and transitioned the puck well.

I think we can get the "speedy forward corps that ran 3 lines deep in scoring ability" largely off of what we have and lower cost FA additions (especially if we shift Sam to center).

It's that 2nd part that concerns me moving forward.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't think that Fasching or Bailey are first liners, but I think that they could compliment an already-effective forward duo. Especially Hudson, who looked good ending the season with O'Reilly and Girgensons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad