Roster speculation XVIII - We're getting closer to things happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't think that Fasching or Bailey are first liners, but I think that they could compliment an already-effective forward duo. Especially Hudson, who looked good ending the season with O'Reilly and Girgensons.

I think Carrier also may fit in that description too.

Just for saying's sake:

Fasching-ROR-Girgensons
Bailey-Eichel-????
Kane-Sam-Carrier
Foligno-Larsson-???

That's one speedy, PITA team....if they work well together.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Did he really? We are a bad team that needs better players. That couldn't have been more obvious than when Girgensons was skating in the top 6. It was night and day from when Kane was on that line towards the end of the season. Did some of you really actually think our forwards were good enough last year?

Eichel + Girgensons produced almost 3 goals per 60 minutes, looks good enough to me :dunno:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think Carrier also may fit in that description too.

Just for saying's sake:

Fasching-ROR-Girgensons
Bailey-Eichel-????
Kane-Sam-Carrier
Foligno-Larsson-???

That's one speedy, PITA team....if they work well together.

Almost completely void of any high end skill players. Right back in the Nolan Patrick sweepstakes.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
We need forward talent, but we need forward talent that optimizes Eichel or can hang with O'Reilly's matchup difficulty, not the first goalscoring forward we see.

All of early-season Kane, McGinn, wLarsson, Ennis, Moulson, Gionta, and Deslauriers don't do either thing, and each and every one of those dudes got meaningful run. Those are the spots we need to upgrade, and in a lot of ways, we already have.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Almost completely void of any high end skill players. Right back in the Nolan Patrick sweepstakes.

Jack and Sam are high end skill players. ROR and Kane are no slouches offensively.

We need to find the players that complement them.....not necessarily the highest skilled players.

I swear you want to build a team just like the 06/07 Sabres -- great in the regular season, but playoff flameouts.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Only interested in bringing in a scoring winger if it's a really good fit/situation. Worst comes to worst and Girgensons, Kane, Ennis, and Reinhart are our top 6 wingers... and I'm okay with that.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
It's a good jumping off point to head into an offseason, but it's also too reliant on our AHL guys making the jump and NHL regulars buying in to playing a fourth line role. Even moving Foligno up as a placeholder makes it look a lot better.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Jack and Sam are high end skill players. ROR and Kane are no slouches offensively.

We need to find the players that complement them.....not necessarily the highest skilled players.

I swear you want to build a team just like the 06/07 Sabres -- great in the regular season, but playoff flameouts.

If only we could have six competent defensemen like we did back then....

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

You a couple pages back.

I didn't have a strong feeling about it, so I left it as is. And the Pens should've made us all realize how easy it is for average defenders to play behind great forwards.

Penguins Lines:

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Cullen - Fehr

Where is the huge difference in forward skill that I'm not seeing?

Our Lines:

Ennis - ROR - Girgs
Kane - Eichel - Reinhart
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta
Moulson - Legwand - Des

That's not including Bailey and Fasching who obviously have more skill than some of those guys.

How are we void of any offensive talent, and Pittsburgh carries their team with their offensive talent? Because I don't see much of a difference in terms of skill level.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
On the topic off ideal offseasons...

1) Successfully offer sheet Lindholm
2) Sign Brian Campbell
3) Acquire Rick Nash for a bag of pucks
4) Sign Dale Weise, Boedker, and Lewis
5) Draft Chyrchrun

Kane-ROR-Girgensons
Nash-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta/Weise
Lewis-Boedker-Gionta/Weise

Lindholm-Risto
Campbell-Bogosian
McCabe/Georges/Chyrchrun-Pysyk

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's a good jumping off point to head into an offseason, but it's also too reliant on our AHL guys making the jump and NHL regulars buying in to playing a fourth line role. Even moving Foligno up as a placeholder makes it look a lot better.

I didn't mean to imply that those theoretical lines are what I'd go into this season with.

I was thinking maybe 17/18 or 18/19. Or maybe post-deadline this season.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Is Connor Sheary a 1st liner?

With guys like Eichel and Reinhart and ROR.....terms like "1st liners" need to be thrown out the window. Find guys that work well with your top offensive threats, and they don't need to be 1st line talent.

Girgensons isnt a 1st line talent and worked awfully well with Eichel last year.
Hecht wasn't a 1st line talent but just meshed with Briere perfectly.

That's what we need.

Absolutely. Chemistry matters. Girgs is the new Hecht. Sort of.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Absolutely. Chemistry matters. Girgs is the new Hecht. Sort of.

The comparison bothers me because Hecht was one of my favorite players. Girgensons more a Mike Grier with Drury IMO. Girgensons just doesnt produce like Hecht.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

2) Sign Brian Campbell
5) Draft Chyrchrun

Kane-ROR-Girgensons
Nash-Eichel-Reinhart

Lindholm-Risto
Campbell-Bogosian

Regarding Mikkel Bödker, you would put top-6 winger as a fourth-line center?

For what it is worth, Pierre McGuire says that there is a trade coming where a team sends couple of 2nd rounders for a "significant player". This might be Nash on the move and we have the picks...

James Mirtle says we're after Shattenkirk and Bogo might be moved (but as far as I got it, not in the same trade).

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The comparison bothers me because Hecht was one of my favorite players. Girgensons more a Mike Grier with Drury IMO. Girgensons just doesnt produce like Hecht.

Girgs has been producing just like Hecht, actually. The only time Hecht had much better numbers was when he was playing with Briere.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

2) Sign Brian Campbell
5) Draft Chyrchrun

Kane-ROR-Girgensons
Nash-Eichel-Reinhart

Lindholm-Risto
Campbell-Bogosian

Risto: 6M
OS of Lindholm: let's just say 7M
Brian Campbell: 5M
Nash: 7.8M

that's 25.6 M without signing Girgs, Foligno or McCabe. Even dumping Franson for picks, you are at the cap.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Girgs is a Mike Grier who might actually score on a breakaway. You want a Mike Grier for any playoff run. His value is low after he had to plug the entire lineup last year while the coach was taking his sweet time figuring things out. You sign him as long as you can and you only trade him for a sure fire #1 defense. He isn't someone to throw away.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Mike Grier is one of the worst offensive players to play the amount of games he did of all time. Girgensons isn't a great offensive player, but he'd have to try to not score to end up with Grier numbers for his career.

And if we end up turning Bogosian into Shattenkirk I will start a religion around Tim Murray and I don't even particularly care for Shatty as a player.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

2) Sign Brian Campbell
5) Draft Chyrchrun

Kane-ROR-Girgensons
Nash-Eichel-Reinhart

Lindholm-Risto
Campbell-Bogosian

It will take such an insanely high cap hit for Anaheim to not match. I believe Campbell is a Panther or Blackhawk this offseason. Weise, and Lewis make some sense, I question Boedker's ability two way. Someone is going to buy into his age and speed and overpay, (see Colorado).

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Mike Grier is one of the worst offensive players to play the amount of games he did of all time. Girgensons isn't a great offensive player, but he'd have to try to not score to end up with Grier numbers for his career.

And if we end up turning Bogosian into Shattenkirk I will start a religion around Tim Murray and I don't even particularly care for Shatty as a player.

That's about as spot on a post that I've agreed with in sentiment completely in quite a while. Girgensons, came off a season playing top forward minutes, taking the bulk of the draws, and being on the ice in all situations to second and third line minutes, playing the bulk on the wing and being somewhat in a cluster ****. He's better than what he showed. I agree completely on the Shattenkirk point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad