Roster speculation XVIII - We're getting closer to things happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
And he'd be the 2nd best defenseman on the cup champs, so...
Brian Dumoulin is the better player in his sleep.

Also, Bogo's worse than Lovejoy/Daley at the stuff they specialized in, plus whatever you think of Maata. Sure, Sullivan would have bent over backwards to put Zach in the right positions, but that's pretty much exactly why I don't think he's good...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
are you hearing that somewhere? He would be a nice add. Particularly if he bounces back from his injury plagued season

No, I'm just thinking it's a likely scenario. The Ducks have a glut of the left side, and he makes something like 4 per. He had an injury riddled season and seems like a guy they could move.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Also, Bogo's worse than Lovejoy/Daley at the stuff they specialized in, plus whatever you think of Maata. Sure, Sullivan would have bent over backwards to put Zach in the right positions, but that's pretty much exactly why I don't think he's good...

I disagree with every word of this post.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Brian Dumoulin was the best defensive player on a Cup winner. He's pretty much Nik Hjalmarsson.

I don't need stats to tell you that he's better than a dude who just put together a trash season on a bad team's second pairing.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
No, I'm just thinking it's a likely scenario. The Ducks have a glut of the left side, and he makes something like 4 per. He had an injury riddled season and seems like a guy they could move.

He'd be kind of a risky pick-up. Aside from being injured much of last season, when he did play, he wasn't good, and he's got a bunch of term left on his contract.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Lovejoy is not even close to Bogosian, that is hilarious.

Maatta was the worst Penguins defenceman for a good chunk of the playoffs. He's too slow.

Daley might have an argument over Bogosian...but I don't think so. He just fit the Penguins system really well.

Dumo is better for sure.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Yup, and that's not factoring in his cap hit.

If bogo is in your top 4 at his cap, you need some major elc players to compensate for the waste.

And if he is in your top 4, he needs sheltering with a superior player in his pair.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I wonder what the cost of Pouliot from the Pens would be?

Also, Bogosian is a middle pairing d-man. I didn't know that was something we were debating.

Top Pairing D: Risto
3/4 d-men: Bogosian, Gorges
Bottom pairing d-men: McCabe, Pysyk, Franson

Obviously, McCabe and Pysyk have upside left.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A left handed Pysyk is what Bogo needs. Then the original version Pysyk with McCabe.

McCabe and Bogo's games are too alike to work very well together. They will have their spurts but it's not the best match.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't spend much time lately lookin up stats, certainly not this year. I just watch bogo, and bogo is hockey stupid.

He makes a lot of stupid reads, both offensively and defensively.

And while he has pretty high end athleticism, he has nowhere the high end skill to free lance offensively or defensively at the nhl level.

I don't hate the idea of him on the team as a great third pair guy who can fill in on the top 4 spot for injuries, but he has been in the league for far to long for anyone to think he will be anchoring a top 4 spot.

I think i have some time available to edit a game and isolate bogo shifts. It's my opinion that many hope he will become his potential based on his physique, rather than his game.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't spend much time lately lookin up stats, certainly not this year. I just watch bogo, and bogo is hockey stupid.

He makes a lot of stupid reads, both offensively and defensively.

And while he has pretty high end athleticism, he has nowhere the high end skill to free lance offensively or defensively at the nhl level.

I don't hate the idea of him on the team as a great third pair guy who can fill in on the top 4 spot for injuries, but he has been in the league for far to long for anyone to think he will be anchoring a top 4 spot.

I think i have some time available to edit a game and isolate bogo shifts. It's my opinion that many hope he will become his potential based on his physique, rather than his game.

Most view him as a 2nd pairing dman. Not sure how that fits with what your saying about expectations

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A left handed Pysyk is what Bogo needs. Then the original version Pysyk with McCabe.

McCabe and Bogo's games are too alike to work very well together. They will have their spurts but it's not the best match.

The best case scenario is a good partner for Risto and Gorges-Bogosian with McCabe-Pysyk on the bottom pair

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The best case scenario is a good partner for Risto and Gorges-Bogosian with McCabe-Pysyk on the bottom pair
I don't even know if that's "best case" because opportunity distribution between those pairings is going to be a giant headache. There probably isn't an available defenseman who can turn Risto into a net positive in his current role, and then you're giving the choicest offensive minutes to a bottom four who's best offensive player is... Bogosian? Eventually McCabe? Ehhhhh. Plus, however you split things up, you're gonna have to deal with Gorges-Bogo never having the puck.

I guess you'd have to do something like:

X-Risto (High minutes, ~50% OZS, High QoC)
Gorges-Bogo (Med Minutes ~45% OZS, med-low QoC)
McCabe-Pysyk (Low minutes ~55% OZS, med-low QoC)

But we have a coach who wants to use his best players to stop the bleeding rather than drive play, and values physique and style of play over actual impact soooooooo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad