Roster Speculation Pt. VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Don’t do it Big Head, Yzerman is way too smart to deal with fairly. You gonna get fleeced again

I’m surprised they’d be interested in Risto for that very reason. One of the reasons I’ve been high on trading him is that the teams that would target him wouldn’t be the smart teams IMO.

But BriseBois is the GM now...so maybe that’s what’s happened.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Risto seems so much like a summer move though that it’s hard to get excited or angry right now either way

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Risto for Tyler Johnson would be pretty yucky.
Which is why I am absolutely terrified that's exactly what's going to happen. TB is in a position where they have so many good young players that they won't be able to keep. We have a bunch of picks and desperately need quality NHL level players. They need picks that can be turned into cost controlled assets years down the road. Just looking at things that's the type of deal that would make sense (albeit since they are gunning for a cup would happen after the season).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I don’t understand what Tampa would trade. Johnson has a full NTC, why on earth would he waive it?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If Botts is dealing Risto for forward help, JT Miller makes sense since his contract is similar to Risto’s.

TB being interested in Risto makes sense since their two veteran RHD are UFAs this summer.

Tyler Johnson probably won’t be involved since he has a full NTC until 2021.

Miller is the lone highly paid TB forward without protections built into his contract.

Also, I wonder if Sergachev could be involved...

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
On one hand I think there's a risk trading with Tampa because they're so deep and so well coached that all of their players probably have inflated values.

On the other hand, trading for guys who were once well coached might be our only chance at having players that know what they're doing

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If Botts is dealing Risto for forward help, JT Miller makes sense since his contract is similar to Risto’s.

TB being interested in Risto makes sense since their two veteran RHD are UFAs this summer.

Tyler Johnson probably won’t be involved since he has a full NTC until 2021.

Miller is the lone highly paid TB forward without protections built into his contract.

Also, I wonder if Sergachev could be involved...

Can't believe they'd give up Sergachev.

Maybe Foote

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Tampa is a goldmine of smart, skilled hockey players, and those adjectives extend well into their depth pieces and prospect pool. If there was a team I'd be interested in negotiating a deal surrounding Risto with, they would be at the top of the list.

I've long held that Risto's trade value is likely higher than his on-ice value, when you take all negatives with all positives. I'm a little wary about Jason making a trade of this magnitude, but I'm also fairly convinced that unless we get absolutely robbed, the chance for a substantially negative hockey impact would be low.

Man, would that be juicy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Tampa could take on Ristolainen's contract without moving any roster players.

Then they will need to make some cap moves this summer. They have three of their top 6 D hitting UFA, Point is an RFA, and Kuch and McDonagh get raises.

They have 16 players under contract with a cap hit of $73M.

They can fit Risto in under the cap for this season. But, that just makes their summer even tougher if they don’t move future cap out in that deal or another deal.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Can't believe they'd give up Sergachev.

Maybe Foote

Honestly, Miller for Risto straight up makes sense from a TB POV but it makes me shudder thinking about the Sabres D corps moving forward.

I’m just trying to see a way for that deal to happen and the Sabres D doesn’t look super thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad