Roster Speculation Pt. VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Eh, i disagree.

Yandles contract is pretty hefty. You yourself have been pimping the 3-7 of this draft for months.

We’re trading youth that’s still moldable for guys further along and more established.

I don’t think I’ve really been pumping this draft at all, I think it’s pretty average in that 3-10 range.

MayDayMayDay

Out here doing time bandit shit...
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Where do you think the overpayment lies? Just curious.
Just how I perceive it...

Risto = Bill
Non Buf 1st ~ Vegas 1st/Hague
Miller > Nothing

I don't think it's too far off given the cap implications. I guess it depends on Miller's perceived value and how it might reconcile with respect to Vegas' cap space. Maybe they think the cap space they'd save evens that value scale out, but who knows. Again, I don't think it's too far off. We wouldn't have to add much to even it out IMHO.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

Risto = Bill
Miller > Nothing

I don't think it's too far off given the cap implications. I guess it depends on Miller's perceived value and how it might reconcile with respect to Vegas' cap space. Maybe they think the cap space they'd save evens that value scale out, but who knows. Again, I don't think it's too far off. We wouldn't have to add much to even it out IMHO.

Are we assuming Karlsson has a new contract?

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buf:
Risto + Non Buf 1st Round pick:
to
Vegas:
W. Karlsson + Colin Miller + 1st Round Pick/Hague

Though vegas traded their 1st to get Stoned

Vegas will be in cap hell next year so they need to move high salary. Karlsson is the only high salary with some value u see them moving.

I’ve said before I wouldn’t want to trade a teen pick for Karlsson but would trade San Jose 1st thatslikely 25-31.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Risto = Bill
Miller > Nothing

That’s fair

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I’m very okay going into next season with this d corps

Dahlin - Borgen
Pilut - Montour
xx - Bogo (I’m assuming no one wants his contract)

Get the best return for Risto as you can Botts, RNH would be a huge boost to our center depth

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thinking about a potential Ristolainen trade to Tampa Bay:

Ristolainen, McCabe, Girgensons to Tampa for JT Miller, Callahan, Foote, Katchouk, and a conditional 2019/20 1st round pick.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Thinking about a potential Ristolainen trade to Tampa Bay:

Ristolainen, McCabe, Girgensons to Tampa for JT Miller, Callahan, Foote, Katchouk, and a conditional 2019/20 1st round pick.

Fair deal for both sides. Would love to add Foote to the pipline and Miller fills the 2C role. Heck, even an overpaid Callahan would really add a veteran presence.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
We need to invest in a franchise goalie.

I am all for not only drafting Spencer Knight with the 2nd 1st but I would also go after one of Bob or Varlamov.

Varlamov - 5/30
Bob - 6/42

We cannot commit ~4 mil on the goaltending position and expect to be a contender. Say what you want both are top 15-18 goalies. Bob is in the 10-15 range and Varlamov 13-18.

Sign Bob for 6 years. Draft Knight. Trade Ullmark. Go with Bob-Hutton the next 2 seasons and then in 21-22 roll with Bob-Knight. By 23-24 Knight would be 22/23 years old and would be ready to get 40-50 starts. 23/24 would be the last season of a hypothetical Bob signing and it could be split 55/27 in favor of Knight.

We have the cap space. Let's bring in a goalie who has shown capable of winning 40 games in a season and that we can rely on to start 6 or 7 games in a row.

They are on the same level as a Ben Bishop type goalie and that is goaltending good enough to make the playoffs with.

Because outside of a Skinner re-signing there is not any high end UFA skaters that would come here. No chance at a Karlsson or Panarin. Might as well spend it on a position we can upgrade majorly with.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

I am all for not only drafting Spencer Knight with the 2nd 1st but I would also go after one of Bob or Varlamov.

Varlamov - 5/30
Bob - 6/42

We cannot commit ~4 mil on the goaltending position and expect to be a contender. Say what you want both are top 15-18 goalies. Bob is in the 10-15 range and Varlamov 13-18.

Sign Bob for 6 years. Draft Knight. Trade Ullmark. Go with Bob-Hutton the next 2 seasons and then in 21-22 roll with Bob-Knight. By 23-24 Knight would be 22/23 years old and would be ready to get 40-50 starts. 23/24 would be the last season of a hypothetical Bob signing and it could be split 55/27 in favor of Knight.

We have the cap space. Let's bring in a goalie who has shown capable of winning 40 games in a season and that we can rely on to start 6 or 7 games in a row.

They are on the same level as a Ben Bishop type goalie and that is goaltending good enough to make the playoffs with.

Because outside of a Skinner re-signing there is not any high end UFA skaters that would come here. No chance at a Karlsson or Panarin. Might as well spend it on a position we can upgrade majorly with.

No. Lets just get proper coaches instead of overpaying for goalies. Besides we have UPL up and coming.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Varlamov - 5/30
Bob - 6/42

Bobrovsky isn't coming to Buffalo. He wants out of Columbus and will likely end up in a big city - or with the Panthers who are adjacent to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. And Varly? The last four years he's gone .914, .898, .920, .910. Three of those seasons would have the fanbase howling about how overpaid he is at $6M per. There probably is not any quick fix in net for us.

One thing that may be worth looking at is Raanta in Arizona. Before he re-signed with Arizona, he was a popular name in here around this time last year. He got hurt early in the season and Kuemper has taken over as the starter. There were whispers that Tocchet was upset that Raanta didn't come to camp in the best shape after giving him that three-year contract, so maybe they look to shop him in the offseason if they feel Kuemper can be their guy going forward. Something around Raanta and Ullmark might be worth considering - and I'm not sure we'd have to make a big add considering the cost savings for 'Yotes. We could proceed with Raanta/Hutton serving as the bridge to UPL.

I tried coming up with an expanded deal that would net us a 2C (Stepan) or more RD depth (Demers, Gogo) if we added Ristolainen, but I didn't love those permutations of the deal - and I don't think the Yotes are trading Hjalmarsson, so I didn't go down that rabbit hole.

SwordStanley10

Sep 16, 2009
Toronto
Bobrovsky isn't coming to Buffalo. He wants out of Columbus and will likely end up in a big city - or with the Panthers who are adjacent to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. And Varly? The last four years he's gone .914, .898, .920, .910. Three of those seasons would have the fanbase howling about how overpaid he is at $6M per. There probably is not any quick fix in net for us.

One thing that may be worth looking at is Raanta in Arizona. Before he re-signed with Arizona, he was a popular name in here around this time last year. He got hurt early in the season and Kuemper has taken over as the starter. There were whispers that Tocchet was upset that Raanta didn't come to camp in the best shape after giving him that three-year contract, so maybe they look to shop him in the offseason if they feel Kuemper can be their guy going forward. Something around Raanta and Ullmark might be worth considering - and I'm not sure we'd have to make a big add considering the cost savings for 'Yotes. We could proceed with Raanta/Hutton serving as the bridge to UPL.

I tried coming up with an expanded deal that would net us a 2C (Stepan) or more RD depth (Demers, Gogo) if we added Ristolainen, but I didn't love those permutations of the deal - and I don't think the Yotes are trading Hjalmarsson, so I didn't go down that rabbit hole.

I really like that idea - Raanta's GSAA is in the top 10 over the past 4 years - but I think Chayka is all-in on Raanta proving him right next year (unless his body continues to break down, but not a lot you can do about that). I think Arizona will look at Kumeper's body of work over his career (look at his numbers vs Dubnyk's during their Wild years, yeeesh) and realize that's more likely who Kuemper really is as opposed to what he's done this year. But if Chayka wants to have another Strome-esque brain fart I think you jump all over that, injury risk be damned - the potential boom outweighs the bust

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But yet we should trade Risto, cuz he's terrible too.

True, though actually trying to do something different with how he is used or who he is paired with to straighten out his game --if possible -- has not been tried. Bogosian, McCabe and Ristolainen have all shown to be problems. Two of those three are regularly injured. One of those three is grossly overpaid for what he provides in all areas of the ice.

And as an aside the weakest defense of dealing Bogo first and trying to fix Ristolainen with partner and deployment is usually the "but they'll get more for Risto".

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
True, though actually trying to do something different with how he is used or who he is paired with to straighten out his game --if possible -- has not been tried. Bogosian, McCabe and Ristolainen have all shown to be problems. Two of those three are regularly injured. One of those three is grossly overpaid for what he provides in all areas of the ice.

And as an aside the weakest defense of dealing Bogo first and trying to fix Ristolainen with partner and deployment is usually the "but they'll get more for Risto".
Risto-Pilut....Dahlin-Borgen...Montour..now a defensive defencemen for Montour

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
If they do that, I’d like to see them equalize use and deployment. They can’t do what it looks like they are flirting with and cave Montour with stupid minutes and deployment. It will wear anyone out.
Hey chain anyone you would like to pursue in free agency that you like on D? Or do you just keep a McCabe or hope Scandella rebounds?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hey chain anyone you would like to pursue in free agency that you like on D? Or do you just keep a McCabe or hope Scandella rebounds?

I would rather not rely upon McCabe any longer. He is what he is and that isn't a smart player. Scandella... I don't know any more but moving him would be my first choice.

As for UFA D... let me think about that.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->