Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
If the trade you're proposing doesn't hurt your heart and make you question hard whether or not you could ever make it, the other team is not going to have any interest in it.

The exceptions for any given team happen once in a long while. Huberdeau and Lindholm etc. are not going to be the pieces where they don't sting. Skinner was our pot of gold.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If the trade you're proposing doesn't hurt your heart and make you question hard whether or not you could ever make it, the other team is not going to have any interest in it.

The exceptions for any given team happen once in a long while. Huberdeau and Lindholm etc. are not going to be the pieces where they don't sting. Skinner was our pot of gold.
To some extent.

A trade can be good for both teams. Giving up a first in a deep draft hurts but it hurts significantly less when you have 3, which is why people think buffalo and florida could be good trade partners.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
To some extent.

A trade can be good for both teams. Giving up a first in a deep draft hurts but it hurts significantly less when you have 3, which is why people think buffalo and florida could be good trade partners.
But giving up a first doesn't hurt for Huberdeau, especially if only paired with Nylander.

What would hurt is Olofsson, Mitts, Borgen, and our first. I have no idea if that's what Huberdeau's value is, but the amount of rage that suggestion would induce is closer to the levels of angst that would happen in a Huberdeau to Buffalo deal than the celebration in the streets that would occur if we got him for Nylander and a first.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
yeah I wasnt advocating to do it, just laying down what it'd look like. I'm not on board with moving Risto yet, as Dahlin matures, he'll continue to take his minutes and we may see more efffective Risto.

Yeah - I'd love it if we eventually find perfect partners for both.

A guy who can munch minutes & is awesome in his own zone to allow Dahlin to do his thing - then someone similar to pair with Risto without the need to play huge minutes.

Dahlin on the front foot as much as possible Karlason-esque is honestly what I see as being key to this teams success. Couple that with Risto not being expected to do the big minutes, not getting the oppositions' attention could also be huge.

Im not dead against trading Risto but I do see him as a big part of the future still & don't see any realistic trade scenarios where we're better off losing him.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Go out and get someone else. Risto kills this team. The numbers have shown themselves to be true.

Because teams are lining up to give up top 4 calibre RHDs...

Risto's numbers would look better if he hadn't played alongside the leagues worst D corps for the past number of years.

The problem is that he isn't the '#1' D that many here pimped him up to be... Doesn't mean he isnt useful.

As said in previous post - I'm not dead against moving him but you have to bring in capable replacements. This team is already short of RHD talent & currently he is our best.

Reactions: Eichel9

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This team needs to be a player in free agency for Mark Stone.

I'd give him 11M to get it done. Just get it done.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Because teams are lining up to give up top 4 calibre RHDs...

Risto's numbers would look better if he hadn't played alongside the leagues worst D corps for the past number of years.

The problem is that he isn't the '#1' D that many here pimped him up to be... Doesn't mean he isnt useful.

As said in previous post - I'm not dead against moving him but you have to bring in capable replacements. This team is already short of RHD talent & currently he is our best.

Maybe whoever you get to fill Risto’s role also gets crushed. But what’s the difference?

Reactions: truthbluth

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Maybe whoever you get to fill Risto’s role also gets crushed. But what’s the difference?

No difference. This team would still continue to miss the playoffs year after year with Dahlin plus a bunch of bottom pair / AHL tweeners as it's D corps.

A team with a D corps of Dahlin, Risto & two other competent top 4 players however....

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
11m per for Stone?

3 1st for Huberdeau... I want whatever it is your taking...!

The TDL can't come & go soon enough...

11M for Stone I'd do in a heart beat. His value is probably around 9M. Getting him for free would justify the 2M in cap space lost.

3 1sts for Huberdeau...well frankly I don't really trust this team to draft well in the teens. Huberdeau is locked up on a great contract, he's in his prime and he's a PPG winger.

In case you haven't noticed we suck at wing

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
11M for Stone I'd do in a heart beat. His value is probably around 9M. Getting him for free would justify the 2M in cap space lost.

3 1sts for Huberdeau...well frankly I don't really trust this team to draft well in the teens. Huberdeau is locked up on a great contract, he's in his prime and he's a PPG winger.

I'd much rather throw resources at C and D.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

9m per for Stone would be ok if we aren't signing Skinner to similar money... Which I believe is inevitable. Using so much cap on your wings is pretty stupid IMO.

If we're making silly deals for a winger we may as well just OS Mitch Marner & be done with it...

I'm generally against trading those 1sts - but moving one of them for Huberdeau does make sense. All three though...? Jesus no.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
9m per for Stone would be ok if we aren't signing Skinner to similar money... Which I believe is inevitable. Using so much cap on your wings is pretty stupid IMO.

If we're making silly deals for a winger we may as well just OS Mitch Marner & be done with it...

I'm generally against trading those 1sts - but moving one of them for Huberdeau does make sense. All three though...? Jesus no.

Marner would cost 4 1sts. That’s the big difference. One costs assets and one doesn’t.

It’ll take more than one first to land Huberdeau.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No difference. This team would still continue to miss the playoffs year after year with Dahlin plus a bunch of bottom pair / AHL tweeners as it's D corps.

A team with a D corps of Dahlin, Risto & two other competent top 4 players however....

Actually the difference is that you’ll have another really good forward on a team that lacks secondary scoring.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

9m? Are you high. Mark Stone is one of the 2 or 3 best wingers in the league. He might be the most valuable.

Reactions: sabremike

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
If Florida is looking at Panarin and Bobrovsky, maybe a combo of skinner and Ullmark entices them. I’ll take the younger cost controlled winger with Hutton holding ground until UPL comes up

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016

I'm sorry i know im going to flagged but 11 million for stone is f***ing Pejorative Slured, stone is not a top 5 player in the league he should not be paid like one

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Marner would cost 4 1sts. That’s the big difference. One costs assets and one doesn’t.

It’ll take more than one first to land Huberdeau.

Marner is actually worth 4 firsts though.

Huberdeau is a decent player on a good contract - but he's not in the same stratosphere.

Trading 3 firsts for him is completely mind boggling.

I'd extend to a first plus Nylander. That should be enough to land him & if another team beats that offer its overpayment.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
9m? Are you high. Mark Stone is one of the 2 or 3 best wingers in the league. He might be the most valuable.

He really isn't.

Do you honestly think he is worth similar to JT who was the biggest UFA to hit the market in a decade or more & who plays a position /role of much higher importance?

There is no way he is worth a bigger contract than Eichel even as a UFA.

People coming out with this type of comment reminds me of the 'Sam >Jack' crowd. Probably the same people with this kind of hipster thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad