Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So my point above re the 'Sam > Jack' crowd just got proven right. :)

Don't get me wrong - I think Stone is a very good all round player. But he's not 'elite'. He isn't that ultra dynamic type who is worth top money in the league.

If a team were to give him 11 per they would end up regretting it.
Stone would be the best player on this team. He is unquestionably elite.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Don't get me wrong - I think Stone is a very good all round player. But he's not 'elite'. He isn't that ultra dynamic type who is worth top money in the league.

Jack > Sam
Stone => Tavares

It’s not even a “hipster” opinion. Stone is very well regarded on HF and is pretty well accepted as a top 10 wing in the game.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Code for "he doesn't skate fast".

He likely won't get 11 mil because he's not a center but he is very much elite.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think we need to look at short term and long term needs.

Short Term needs:

Scoring Depth (focused in the middle 6)
Center Depth (two way center, scoring center)
Top Pairing RHD (#2 to play with Dahlin)

Long Term needs

Top Pairing RHD (#2 to play with Dahlin)

Our long term center depth (Mittelstadt, Asplund) is ok. Not certainly at the crisis levels at the NHL level.

Our middle winger depth is OK (Nylander, Oloffson, Smith, Rodrigues, Thompson, Pekar)

Our strength right now is our defensive depth (specially on LHD side)

Dahlin, McCabe, Pilut, Guhle, Samuelsson, Beaulieau

My guess is we'll try to fill the scoring depth via UFA signings and fix the long term RHD by moving a LHD + draft pick .

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Code for "he doesn't skate fast".

He likely won't get 11 mil because he's not a center but he is very much elite.

Yet Kane got nearly 11m a number of years ago. Kucherov would have got 11m on the open market (and been worth it) .Marner should get 11m too.

Stone should not be in the same conversation as these players.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I guess the fantasy about waiving him to Rochester is just going to remain a fantasy. Phil sure does pick and hold his favorites.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
It isn't.

Tell me the last time a player was traded for three upcoming first round picks...

If he gets moved I guess we'll see who is right.
Who said his value was 3 first round picks? I didn't. Imagine if Sam Reinhart played at this 70 point pace for like three years, and then Montreal fans came in here and were like "yeah 16 overall and Nikita Scherbak should do it"

Nikita is their version of that disappointing prospect they think people care about because of the name, but actually nobody would give anything of value for.

Huberdeau isn't a rental. He has a lot more value than that, and if we were to acquire him, it would be for a package that would make us sting.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
When you have precious few useful NHL players on your roster it is a real bad idea to trade one for what will almost certainly be either a 2nd or 3rd round pick and NOT a player.
I'm not advocating for it but I could see Botts moving him out to a contender for something nice.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Stone would be the best player on this team. He is unquestionably elite.

Jack > Sam
Stone => Tavares

It’s not even a “hipster” opinion. Stone is very well regarded on HF and is pretty well accepted as a top 10 wing in the game.

Off the top of my head:

Kucherov
Ovechkin
Kane
Tarasenko
Laine
Marner
Panarin
Gaudreau
Rantanen
Pastranak
Marchand
Wheeler
Kessel
Landeskog

I mean, I like Stone a lot, he's a 1st line winger.

But he's not a top ten winger. And he doesn't have NEAR the resume that Tavares has. He'll get more than Skinner, less than Panarin.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Why isn't Tage on PP2?

His play 5v5 has been bad but the power play is one thing he's been successful at on every level.

If he's going to be forced into the lineup you'd think his main strength would be utilized. Also it's not like the powerplay couldn't use the help or at least a different look.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I remember the days when coaches coached and sent a player out to win a key faceoff and when they did or when team got possession ..said player immediately got off the ice and was replaced by someone competent

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why isn't Tage on PP2?

His play 5v5 has been bad but the power play is one thing he's been successful at on every level.

If he's going to be forced into the lineup you'd think his main strength would be utilized. Also it's not like the powerplay couldn't use the help or at least a different look.
I 100% agree!!!!! WE ALL NEED MORE TAGE!!!!!!!!!!

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Why isn't Tage on PP2?

88 NHL games, 10G, 10A. That's why. He hasn't produced at the NHL level significantly yet. Force feeding him TOI won't fix his issues.

TT seems to be a "all the tools no toolbox" kind of player at this point.

For every corner he picks for a highlight real goal, I can find 10 unforced turnovers or bad decisions that have killed forechecks or led directly to a chance against.

He was gifted a spot out of camp....and I'm still not sure why.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sobotka can be relied upon for killing any offensive pressure and failing to check his man.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
88 NHL games, 10G, 10A. That's why. He hasn't produced at the NHL level significantly yet. Force feeding him TOI won't fix his issues.

For every corner he picks for a highlight real goal, I can find 10 unforced turnovers or bad decisions that have killed forechecks or led directly to a chance against.

Because Botterill filled our team with cap dumps and we couldn't afford to address those needs

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

I'm not advocating a lot more ice time for Tage, or even that he should be in the lineup at all (sorry sabremike). I'm saying if he's going to be in the lineup use his one strength in an area of weakness on the team.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU VERY BAD MAN:madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire: #TeamTage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad