Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Actually the difference is that you’ll have another really good forward on a team that lacks secondary scoring.

Secondary scoring won't help overcome an AHL calibre D outside of Dahlin - who would probably get destroyed in the process.

I feel the regular Risto bashers really don't grasp just how over worked & mis managed his Sabres career has been.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Nylander + SJ 1st + Guhle/2nd for Huberdeau

9-9.8 mil per for Stone. I wouldn't approve if it went over 9.5.

I like Stone a lot...wanted TM to trade for Stone when he first got hired, but the FA market is already going to inflate his new contract into the 9 mil range. Paying him more than Eichel is wrong on two levels (value and salary structure) and might not even be possible depending on how much dead weight Botterill can ditch over the summer.

Edit - to make a Huberdeau trade work (which I really doubt happens), Botterill needs to ditch a bad contract like Beaulieu (likely) or Scandella/Hunwick (doubtful).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rowley Birkin

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Every single GAR chart looks like this. Every one.
Tableau Public
You guys aren’t that into Stone because he isn’t a burner, I get it. But the best wingers in the league are Kucherov, Kane and Stone, probably in that order. Panarin, Pasternak, Hall and Marner are in the next tier.
He’s almost definitely the best defensive winger in the league, and puts up points on a shit Ottawa team to boot.
$11M this year is $10M last year.
$9M ain’t getting it done.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Huberdau is worth paying for. Can’t give up too many cheap futures though or this team is going to be cap hamstrung in short order.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If we really wanted to shakeup the forwards:

Nylander + 1st for Huberdeau
Skinner for 1st on the basis the below happens
OS to Marner so big the Leafs can't match. Losing 4 1sts would hurt big time but he is absolutely an exception & we'd still have two this year.
Sign Eric Staal as a UFA to a big money 1-2 year deal (basically until we have to pay Dahlin)

Hopefully try to find a long term partner for Dahlin somewhere else along the line.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
11M for Stone I'd do in a heart beat. His value is probably around 9M. Getting him for free would justify the 2M in cap space lost.

3 1sts for Huberdeau...well frankly I don't really trust this team to draft well in the teens. Huberdeau is locked up on a great contract, he's in his prime and he's a PPG winger.

In case you haven't noticed we suck at wing

Skinner and Reinhart suck at winger?

Yiu can’t afford huberdeau and Stone ...that’s $46M for 6 forwards.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm sorry i know im going to flagged but 11 million for stone is ****ing ******ed, stone is not a top 5 player in the league he should not be paid like one

Getting a top 10 winger for free + 1-2M in dead cap is worth it every day of the week in my book.

Reactions: sabremike

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Skinner and Reinhart suck at winger?

Yiu can’t afford huberdeau and Stone ...that’s $46M for 6 forwards.

It was a one or the other suggestion. And yes after Sam and Jeff we are not good at wing...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
After Pominville and Moulson coming off the cap this summer, I'd love to see Botterill dump all of Sobotka (7th), Sheary (3rd), Scandella (6th) Beaulieu (5th), and Hunwick (7th) to gain 24 mil in cap space and go wild on Stone or Duchene or (fill in your favorite UFA).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
After Pominville and Moulson coming off the cap this summer, I'd love to see Botterill dump all of Sobotka (7th), Sheary (3rd), Scandella (6th) Beaulieu (5th), and Hunwick (7th) to gain 24 mil in cap space and go wild on Stone or Duchene or (fill in your favorite UFA).
That would be great but we are a toxic factory of sadness and failure that no top line free agent is seriously going to consider, and if they answer our calls it's just to use us as leverage to get a better deal from where they really want to go. There is a price to be paid when you are a dysfunctional laughing stock (which was the biggest reason making the playoffs this season was so important: to get rid of the stink of being a basket case loser organization).

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Marner is actually worth 4 firsts though.

Huberdeau is a decent player on a good contract - but he's not in the same stratosphere.

Trading 3 firsts for him is completely mind boggling.

I'd extend to a first plus Nylander. That should be enough to land him & if another team beats that offer its overpayment.
This is an alarmingly bad take.

Reactions: Snippit

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

We have 28.5M for next year. Skinner, McCabe, Girgs, Larsson, Smith, ERod, and Ullmark will need to be re-signed.

I think we'll be able to target a big FA without trading away a contract...but I could see him moving one of them just to be sure.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Who do you value more RoR or Huberdeau? I personally think Huberdeau is more valueable. And when the RoR trade happened we all said we didn’t get enough for a player who wanted out, was a cancer, etc.

We can start with a first, a very good prospect and a roster player.

Nylander + Rodrigues + 1st? Is that even enough? Maybe they want Guhle too.
I value ROR more for his two way play and being a natural center. Huberdeau can play center, might have better vision and playmaking then ROR but has nowhere near the defensive acumen as ROR does.

I dont think it would take that much, a late 2st, Sabres 2nd × Nylander or Guhle could probably get it done.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He really isn't.

Do you honestly think he is worth similar to JT who was the biggest UFA to hit the market in a decade or more & who plays a position /role of much higher importance?

There is no way he is worth a bigger contract than Eichel even as a UFA.

People coming out with this type of comment reminds me of the 'Sam >Jack' crowd. Probably the same people with this kind of hipster thinking.
Stone is better than Tavares

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Stone is better than Tavares

So my point above re the 'Sam > Jack' crowd just got proven right. :)

Don't get me wrong - I think Stone is a very good all round player. But he's not 'elite'. He isn't that ultra dynamic type who is worth top money in the league.

If a team were to give him 11 per they would end up regretting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad