Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I agree, which is why it's a players/coach problem.
I would say its a whole around problem the GM included.
They must see that Scandella is bad this season with the eye test plus advanced stats.
He is the worst d man this year.
But he never gets scratched.
The game they dressed Hunwick...
Botterill aquired him.
Same goes for Beaulieu.
These are all not very good at anything d man but the GM makes them available for the coach to use instead of better options.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Seriously, if the rest of the NHL only knew.. the 18 minutes are what kill me. Depth player, fine I guess, but the dude has 3 goals, 10 points in infinity opportunities. Has any NHL forward ever produced so little in so much ice time? Legit question.
Jacob josefson

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Find a way to drop:

Poms, Okposo, Scandella. Throw in Nylander if ya have to, just get those guys gone.

Keep Sobotka just cause I don't wanna have to depend on 3 call-ups. Sit Sobotka if the AHLers are getting it done, though.

I figure we aren't going deep this year, so we might as well shed bad contracts and gear up for next year.
Sit Sobotka for callups?
You have to send Housley to the EHCL to achieve that.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Not sure if being snarky, but if not, these are deals you see teams perform every year to cycle in/out role players. They don’t cost much.

Bullshit. Teams year in year out are not trading young players with term. Not in the cap era. On the rare occasions they do occur they're the highlight of the trade season. I.e. Carter for Schenn.

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
All people saying Botterill is slow cooking.
He burned a year on Mitts ELC for a 6 game evaluation.
Why the rush?
I guess they maybe already had the RoR deal in mind?

He must have had it all wrong with his scouting on Berglund and Sobotka and Mitts.
Did he think between the 3 they would somehow replace the teams most played forward?
For many who didnt think RoR was a scapegoat it was already clear that if not allaround at least it was a bad trade for the upcoming season.

He did nothing to change his mistake.
Not even call up player or at least rotate them in the big club earlier to infuse some scoring in December.
Why did they wait so long to change something until they have a hill to climb if they dont want to golf again?

Sorry but a halfway competent coach would have not made the mistakes Housley made...
Reinhart on his own line ( it works..did just take them till february to try that what everyone was saying.

With good roster management and a good coach we would probably sit where the Canadiens are now.
6 points in...
Its all about grasping opportunities and they didnt..
I say its more important to give this young starved players a sniff of what its like to be IN..
Way more important than Rochester winning.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
All people saying Botterill is slow cooking.
He burned a year on Mitts ELC for a 6 game evaluation.
Why the rush?

I guess they maybe already had the RoR deal in mind?

He must have had it all wrong with his scouting on Berglund and Sobotka and Mitts.
Did he think between the 3 they would somehow replace the teams most played forward?
For many who didnt think RoR was a scapegoat it was already clear that if not allaround at least it was a bad trade for the upcoming season.

He did nothing to change his mistake.
Not even call up player or at least rotate them in the big club earlier to infuse some scoring in December.
Why did they wait so long to change something until they have a hill to climb if they dont want to golf again?

Sorry but a halfway competent coach would have not made the mistakes Housley made...
Reinhart on his own line ( it works..did just take them till february to try that what everyone was saying.

With good roster management and a good coach we would probably sit where the Canadiens are now.
6 points in...
Its all about grasping opportunities and they didnt..
I say its more important to give this young starved players a sniff of what its like to be IN..
Way more important than Rochester winning.

Because Mitts would have stayed in college if he wasn't immediately brought up to the Big Club

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Because Mitts would have stayed in college if he wasn't immediately brought up to the Big Club
This probably would have been a good thing. Mitts' D+1 NCAA production was a whole tier below guys like Connor, Boeser, and even Connor played a full AHL season after that one, with limited NHL opportunities like we were hoping would happen for Mitts/Tage/Nylander/Olofsson, before being a good NHL player right away. Casey didn't show as much as a lot of his peers, similar to a Tyson Jost, and, like Tyson Jost, isn't having the early NHL impact of those guys in their rookie seasons. Hopefully he can develop into having that impact, but it's a nonzero possibility that he doesn't, and the first thing we point at to blame if that happens will be giving him the Keller/Boeser treatment without the Keller/Boeser D+1 results.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
He played 18 min a game for 58 games?
Among players with similar amounts of ice time (about 350 players I think) he was bottom 5 in points. This is over the course of 3 seasons, 2 of which he was on NJ

Edit:

He was last in points out of all 361 players who played 1300+ minutes over those seasons. Averaged about 2 minutes fewer per game than vlad. Still not good. I hated how people praised him as some all star shut down and pk guy when we signed him. What a joke of an echo chamber this place can be at times

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Seriously, if the rest of the NHL only knew.. the 18 minutes are what kill me. Depth player, fine I guess, but the dude has 3 goals, 10 points in infinity opportunities. Has any NHL forward ever produced so little in so much ice time? Legit question.

If we're talking individual point production, you don't even have to look outside of our own roster to find an answer. It's Johan Larsson, followed closely by Girgs. But atleast the latter two bring some shot suppression skills to the table.

Most teams in the league have at least 1 or 2 players that are generally a waste of space, but Sobotka is certainly up there with the worst. All of his analytics are bottom 10 in the league, and his shot maps show that they should probably be even worse

Shot rates against:
sobotvl87

Shot rates for:
sobotvl87

I don't even care about the kids in Rochester anymore, I would just really like to see what this team looks like without Sobotka and Scandella for two weeks.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Chain said it earlier but they really have to take a deep look into their analytics department. I think Knightengale or whatever his name is was here for the TM years. They need to move on from him and bring in a better group and have this group have a say in what is going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Chain said it earlier but they really have to take a deep look into their analytics department. I think Knightengale or whatever his name is was here for the TM years. They need to move on from him and bring in a better group and have this group have a say in what is going on.

I won't deny it may need a look, but it is way down on the list IMO.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I would say its a whole around problem the GM included.
They must see that Scandella is bad this season with the eye test plus advanced stats.
He is the worst d man this year.
But he never gets scratched.
The game they dressed Hunwick...
Botterill aquired him.
Same goes for Beaulieu.
These are all not very good at anything d man but the GM makes them available for the coach to use instead of better options.

Anyone know if Scandella , Jack or anyone else playing w injuries limiting ability etc..?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

He’s been here since the Darcy years. He was in another department before but was “promoted” October of 2013.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Bull****. Teams year in year out are not trading young players with term. Not in the cap era. On the rare occasions they do occur they're the highlight of the trade season. I.e. Carter for Schenn.

I’m talking role players, which is what those guys were and what we need badly. That what I want to see targeted during the season and see no reason why they can’t look into changing that.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Reactions: itwasaforwardpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad