Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why would we trade away Larsson and Girgs who have been solid all season for what would amount to scraps because no one will give us more than a 2nd or 3rd for those guys leaving even more holes in our roster. That doesn't really make sense.

Them playing well, and being pretty cost effective for other teams makes them attractive pieces to a contender who may not have the cap space to bolster their bottom 6 with the more expensive players, which was my point. And yeah, from a Buffalo fan perspective it doesn't make sense, but our feelings for our 4th line players may not line up with those that have the decision making power.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The problem with trading 28/22 is that it sends us immediately back to having a 4th line that gets caved in to tank-levels under all circumstances, with less scoring than the modest amount they provide to boot.

That's one problem we've actually taken care of this season for the first time since before tanking, let's keep that around while we try to fix the problems above them.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The problem with trading 28/22 is that it sends us immediately back to having a 4th line that gets caved in to tank-levels under all circumstances, with less scoring than the modest amount they provide to boot.

That's one problem we've actually taken care of this season for the first time since before tanking, let's keep that around while we try to fix the problems above them.
This is completely accurate.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Nylander+Scandella for Athanasiou?
Our worst 1st round pick for Burakovsky?
Trash for Janmark?
Then go for a 2C in summer?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Price for Burakovsky is apparently two mid-high picks.

Feel like we should be all over that given the state of our middle six.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I am still in camp sell. Pick up some assets and then try and acquire a solid 2nd line center in the off-season.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I am still in camp sell. Pick up some assets and then try and acquire a solid 2nd line center in the off-season.
Problem is there isn't much that's worthwhile to sell. Skinner would net a great return, but they should be concentrating on re-signing him. Maybe one of our LHD? Scandella, Beaulieu? They won't fetch much, but I'd entertain moving one or both. Looking at where we currently sit (out of the playoffs and 3-6-1 in our last 10) and the upcoming schedule (13 games before the deadline, 7 against teams with winning records) imo it's not looking very promising that this team is making the playoffs. If we do miss the playoffs I don't want to be picking in the teens, find a way to pull the chute a bit and fall into the top 10. Again this all assumes that Buffalo doesnt go on some sort of run. Things certainly change, but I'd be preparing to sell what little we have and attempting to get the pick a little higher. Looking at the coming draft I see a big dropoff outside the top 10 or so players.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
One one inexpensive move could be Brad Richardson with the Yotes. Has one more year left at a very friendly 1.25 million. On the older side at 33 but similar to Berglund in experience. Won a cup with the Kings. Richardson has won 346 faceoffs so far this season and won 543 last year. 11 goals in 40 games.
2C this year. 3C next year.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
I don't see Botts doing anything this season but maybe moving the extra D we have right now, I bet he just lets things play out the rest of the year with signing Skinner and calling it a win over last season..

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I think if he signs Skinner, ensures the young guys get enough playing time to see what they can do and give them the experience to be better next year AND give some of the AHL guys a taste of the NHL all the while playing entertaining and meaningful games well into March then it will have been a decent year. I would like to see a little more stability in the lineup next year improved schemes and special teams.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
One one inexpensive move could be Brad Richardson with the Yotes. Has one more year left at a very friendly 1.25 million. On the older side at 33 but similar to Berglund in experience. Won a cup with the Kings. Richardson has won 346 faceoffs so far this season and won 543 last year. 11 goals in 40 games.
I like this idea. He’s been injured though hasn’t he? What’s the injury and when is he expected back?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Screams Berglund 2.0 impact on the ice to me. No thanks.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I'd consider using a low first rounder to acquire Mitchell Stephens from Tampa Bay. Stephens was selected 33rd overall. He's missed most of this season with an upper body injury.
Tampa Bay Lightning Top 25 Under 25, #13 Mitchell Stephens; Ryan Callahan Lite
In the other thread about what will JB do at the DL I mentioned trading skinner to TB for a prospect + pick. Mitchell Stephens is a name I saw that definitely intrigued me as a target.
If we are trading firsts it better be for more impactful players NOW. othwerwise stick the course and draft away.
He is an impactful player NOW. If he was in any other organization he’d probably be in the NHL. Or we can do like someone else suggested and draft our own Mitchell Stephens and wait 3 years to see if he’ll develop as well as Mitchell has.
Doesn't tampa desperately need marginal NHL talent on ELC to balance their cap next season?
This is why he would be a tough target and why I suggested someone like Boris Katchouk instead. Not quite as NHL ready so they may be more willing to part with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->