Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Discussion in 'Buffalo Sabres' started by Jim Bob, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willgamesh

Willgamesh Registered User

Difference being okpo is still really bad on an average team and hes only going to get slower and worse.

2. Icicle

Icicle Think big

You're comparing him to a dude who literally went to rehab?

3. SnuggaRUDE

SnuggaRUDE Registered User

Okposo is vastly overpaid. Like 4.5-5M overpaid. But if he was a 4th liner on a 1M contract everyone here would love him.

GrierIsGod123 likes this.
  4. BuffaloGooner

BuffaloGooner Registered User

But he isn’t, so it’s a moot point. IMO, Botterill can make a bigger fan of me if he can somehow find a taker for the dead weight on the roster. Okposo, Sobotka, Pommer, and Scandella aren’t or have never cut it. Very curious to see how we handle the TDL.

5. Eichittelharthlin

Eichittelharthlin Registered User

So, I've been thinking. The Sabres PP was #1 when Eichel-Risto were on the blue-line quarterbacking the puck. I wish Risto would set up Eichel more for the Kotalik/Ovechkin unstoppable slapshot that Eichel is more than capable of taking with previous success.

When they used to shoot more from the point, they had traffic in front of the net and popped in any chance they had (they didn't miss in tight).

Now, you want a guy like Dahlin on PP ONE
    With Eichel-Dahlin on the point, the two just don't have the same chemistry that Eichel-Risto had.....I'm not delusional and want Dahlin to be a forward which is utterly ridiculous in too many ways to list...

But, what if Dahlin switched to forward, only on the PP? He used to play center.

So you'd have PP #1:
    Reinhart-Dahlin-Skinner

Eichel-Ristolainen

*(Faceoffs):*
    Reinhart-Skinner-Dahlin

Eichel-Ristolainen

All of Skinner, Renhart, Dahlin have played CENTER before so it may not sound as far out there as it may seem.

Skinner takes draws, but plays right wing as a shooter close to the net. Dahlin plays as RW at the faceoff but takes center responsibilities and has the offence and plays flow through him. Reinhart screens the goalie for garbage goals. Reinhart, Dahlin, Eichel have the highest offensive hockey IQ's on the team, so they're all on one unit and learn to feed each other but as Skinner just focuses on being close to the net with Reinhart. (Skinner and Reinhart don't miss right in front of the net)

Dahlin is the first defensive forward back if the puck is cleared out of the zone.

I'm just so sick of this drop-pass going nowhere and Dahlin & Eichel both deferring to each other and not get it CLOSE TO THE NET where it needs to be. With both Skinner and Reinhart in front of the net, and Dahlin, Risto, Eichel controlling possession and feeding off each other, I truly believe the PP can be something special. Say what you want about Risto but he is absolutely "money" on the PP.

I think the PP could be top 5 in the league but is tragically misused with Phil's deployment and line combinations.

PP #2:

Okposo- Mittelstadt- Sheary

Thompson-Pilut

Before someone says I'm crazy, what do you guys think? Again just an idea, I'm not a coach by any means but I think it's a novel idea that can work.

6. Beerz

Beerz Registered User

That's what a good fired vet coach can do for you. A year ago Islanders were a laughing stock defensively. ..they bring in Trotz and ta da . .. they are tops in the league

sabremike likes this.
  7. Baccus

Baccus Perpetual Shroom Tech Rebuild

It's been incredibly frustrating to watch as Julien, Trotz and now Q have become available while the Sabres are grinding their gears with questionable coaches. Montreal knew enough to just fire their current coach midseason and get a major upgrade.

Beerz and itwasaforwardpass like this.
  8. SnuggaRUDE

SnuggaRUDE Registered User

It's relevant because there are people on this board pretending his not even an NHL level talent. And that's absurd.

Okposo is here until the next lockout. Sobotka gets waived to the AHL next year and Pom retires at the end of this season.

BuffaloGooner likes this.
  9. HeartforReinheart

HeartforReinheart Registered User

How about Okposo for Kesler + 1m retained

I here Kesler is just about done physically but is it worth taking a chance on? Is Okposo actually better than Kesler? Any chance Kesler can recover? Seems like one bad contract for another but Okposo might actually be the more servicable payer.

The advantage is Kesler's contract is a year shorter. Never going to happen but just thought I would throw it out there. Always liked Kesler's game even though he is a shell of his former self.

10. Mattilaus

Mattilaus Registered User

We have no idea if any of these coaches would have even signed with Buffalo. For all we know we gave offers to Trotz and Julien and both were rejected (unlikely mind you). In Q's case, it doesn't look like he is in a hurry to sign with anyone.

11. TehDoak

TehDoak He sure has a

LeBrun: The buyers, sellers, and TBD teams ahead of the...

I thought perhaps, perhaps they'd want to maybe even peek at a UFA like Marcus Johansson or Silfverberg as a low cost rental they could attempt to re-up in the offseason.

Guess I should reset my expectations. Maybe we see Beaulieu for a forward type deal. Most likely we see a big spot o' nothing.

Doug Prishpreed likes this.
  12. HeartforReinheart

Too bad we don't have a 2nd this year. I would take a shot at silfverberg I think he is the type of player who would fit in here. Not sure how to go about trading for him, having a contract in place or not giving up much assets and seeing him walk. If Buffalo could get permission to speak to his agent I would love to see him in a sabres jersey.

13. Sabreperreault19

Sabreperreault19 Registered User

Hey guys.What do you think it would take to get lindholm from Anaheim? 25 years old , good contract, great skater defensive defencemen.Do you think our first and San Jose plus Guhlie does it? Curious what you guys think

14. HeartforReinheart

If we are trading a 1st I would rather see it for forward help. As bad as our defence has played at times I think it is not the reason we are a bad team. Guys like Sobotka, Okposo, Pominville (I would throw Sheary in there too but has played well lately) and perhaps others need to go for this team to take the next step.

15. Baccus

I don't disagree, but there's no reports/chatter to suggest either GM made any ovatures or even thought about it since they both kept the same bad/failing coaches into the next season.

16. Sabreperreault19

Sabreperreault19 Registered User

I agree with above players.I just figured Smith, Olofsson,Nylander, O'reagan, Asplund, Daviddson, plus free agency would address that problem

17. N.Y. Orangeman

N.Y. Orangeman Registered User

Home Page:
    Thank God we aren't putting assets into this situation. Here's hoping we move Scandella for futures or bottom six help.

18. Gabrielor

Gabrielor HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Not buying is fine by me, but that has to make us sellers. Staying put and making zero moves isn’t an option. Sell some lower guys for picks or Rochester upgrades.

Also, hockey trades should definitely be looked at.

19. ZZamboni

ZZamboni Puttin' on the Foil

Seeing all the moves JB has done since being hired I posted in the JB thread... he definitely won’t make “zero” moves. He’s been pretty active IMO. Mostly off season stuff. Not too many during the first few months of the season. Which a lot of posters are annoyed by.

20. Aladyyn

Aladyyn play Reinhart at C you cowards

I am now officially worried about Jeff Skinner. He's our only asset anyone should want at the deadline...

stokes84 likes this.
  21. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Let's go, Buffalo!

SW SE
    Home Page:
    History of NHL trades by the Buffalo Sabres - NHL Trade Tracker

So far this season he has made 3 trades and all of them were AHL trades.

The only non-TDL in-season deal that added an NHL to the Sabres roster that Botts has made in either of his two seasons as the Sabres GM was his 5th for Wilson deal last season.

I don't see where he has been "pretty active" IMO.

Doug Prishpreed and truthbluth like this.
  22. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Let's go, Buffalo!

SW SE
    Home Page:
    Worried how?

News leaks have dried up since Botts was hired.

I'll be worried if we are into March with no news about a Skinner extension.

23. ZZamboni

ZZamboni Puttin' on the Foil

I meant overall since hired. And I just addressed the concern of zero moves by him :dunno:

Agree to disagree about zero vs. active vs. fever pitch vs. whatever adjective one wants to use.

24. Baccus

Looks like O'Regan and Leirer (along with Wedgewood) will become group 6 UFA's barring sudden play time in the NHL.

Wonder if Stolarz gets enough games in, nobody else on the list really jumped out at me.

25. truthbluth

truthbluth Registered User

Poturalski, Gilmour and Dea are interesting to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.