Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I'm just saying, there's been a fair amount of griping about how Lehner couldn't pull his act together when he was making $4 million a year here but now he's a Vezina candidate on the Island.
Difference being okpo is still really bad on an average team and hes only going to get slower and worse.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I'm just saying, there's been a fair amount of griping about how Lehner couldn't pull his act together when he was making $4 million a year here but now he's a Vezina candidate on the Island.
You're comparing him to a dude who literally went to rehab?

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Okposo is vastly overpaid. Like 4.5-5M overpaid. But if he was a 4th liner on a 1M contract everyone here would love him.
But he isn’t, so it’s a moot point. IMO, Botterill can make a bigger fan of me if he can somehow find a taker for the dead weight on the roster. Okposo, Sobotka, Pommer, and Scandella aren’t or have never cut it. Very curious to see how we handle the TDL.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
So, I've been thinking. The Sabres PP was #1 when Eichel-Risto were on the blue-line quarterbacking the puck. I wish Risto would set up Eichel more for the Kotalik/Ovechkin unstoppable slapshot that Eichel is more than capable of taking with previous success.

When they used to shoot more from the point, they had traffic in front of the net and popped in any chance they had (they didn't miss in tight).

Now, you want a guy like Dahlin on PP ONE
With Eichel-Dahlin on the point, the two just don't have the same chemistry that Eichel-Risto had.....I'm not delusional and want Dahlin to be a forward which is utterly ridiculous in too many ways to list...

But, what if Dahlin switched to forward, only on the PP? He used to play center.

So you'd have PP #1:
Reinhart-Dahlin-Skinner

Eichel-Ristolainen

*(Faceoffs):*
Reinhart-Skinner-Dahlin

Eichel-Ristolainen

All of Skinner, Renhart, Dahlin have played CENTER before so it may not sound as far out there as it may seem.

Skinner takes draws, but plays right wing as a shooter close to the net. Dahlin plays as RW at the faceoff but takes center responsibilities and has the offence and plays flow through him. Reinhart screens the goalie for garbage goals. Reinhart, Dahlin, Eichel have the highest offensive hockey IQ's on the team, so they're all on one unit and learn to feed each other but as Skinner just focuses on being close to the net with Reinhart. (Skinner and Reinhart don't miss right in front of the net)

Dahlin is the first defensive forward back if the puck is cleared out of the zone.

I'm just so sick of this drop-pass going nowhere and Dahlin & Eichel both deferring to each other and not get it CLOSE TO THE NET where it needs to be. With both Skinner and Reinhart in front of the net, and Dahlin, Risto, Eichel controlling possession and feeding off each other, I truly believe the PP can be something special. Say what you want about Risto but he is absolutely "money" on the PP.

I think the PP could be top 5 in the league but is tragically misused with Phil's deployment and line combinations.

PP #2:

Okposo- Mittelstadt- Sheary

Thompson-Pilut

Before someone says I'm crazy, what do you guys think? Again just an idea, I'm not a coach by any means but I think it's a novel idea that can work.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

That's what a good fired vet coach can do for you. A year ago Islanders were a laughing stock defensively. ..they bring in Trotz and ta da . .. they are tops in the league

Reactions: sabremike

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
That's what a good fired vet coach can do for you. A year ago Islanders were a laughing stock defensively. ..they bring in Trotz and ta da . .. they are tops in the league

It's been incredibly frustrating to watch as Julien, Trotz and now Q have become available while the Sabres are grinding their gears with questionable coaches. Montreal knew enough to just fire their current coach midseason and get a major upgrade.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
But he isn’t, so it’s a moot point. IMO, Botterill can make a bigger fan of me if he can somehow find a taker for the dead weight on the roster. Okposo, Sobotka, Pommer, and Scandella aren’t or have never cut it. Very curious to see how we handle the TDL.

It's relevant because there are people on this board pretending his not even an NHL level talent. And that's absurd.

Okposo is here until the next lockout. Sobotka gets waived to the AHL next year and Pom retires at the end of this season.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
How about Okposo for Kesler + 1m retained

I here Kesler is just about done physically but is it worth taking a chance on? Is Okposo actually better than Kesler? Any chance Kesler can recover? Seems like one bad contract for another but Okposo might actually be the more servicable payer.

The advantage is Kesler's contract is a year shorter. Never going to happen but just thought I would throw it out there. Always liked Kesler's game even though he is a shell of his former self.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
It's been incredibly frustrating to watch as Julien, Trotz and now Q have become available while the Sabres are grinding their gears with questionable coaches. Montreal knew enough to just fire their current coach midseason and get a major upgrade.

We have no idea if any of these coaches would have even signed with Buffalo. For all we know we gave offers to Trotz and Julien and both were rejected (unlikely mind you). In Q's case, it doesn't look like he is in a hurry to sign with anyone.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
LeBrun: The buyers, sellers, and TBD teams ahead of the...

Buffalo Sabres: They most definitely won’t be buyers, according to a source, and the next two weeks will determine whether or not they end up sellers. They’re in great shape no matter what with four total first-round picks over the next two drafts (their own plus one each from St. Louis and San Jose). The real question now is what happens with Jeff Skinner. But unlike Stone and Duchene in Ottawa, Skinner has a full no-move, no-trade. Remember that he waived it specifically for the trade to Buffalo last summer. So I mean, while it would be nice for the organization and probably the player to have the extension done before Feb. 25, unless Skinner wants a change of scenery, which we doubt, then there’s not as much urgency surrounding the deadline as far as whether Skinner signs or not.

I thought perhaps, perhaps they'd want to maybe even peek at a UFA like Marcus Johansson or Silfverberg as a low cost rental they could attempt to re-up in the offseason.

Guess I should reset my expectations. Maybe we see Beaulieu for a forward type deal. Most likely we see a big spot o' nothing.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
LeBrun: The buyers, sellers, and TBD teams ahead of the...

I thought perhaps, perhaps they'd want to maybe even peek at a UFA like Marcus Johansson or Silfverberg as a low cost rental they could attempt to re-up in the offseason.

Guess I should reset my expectations. Maybe we see Beaulieu for a forward type deal. Most likely we see a big spot o' nothing.
Too bad we don't have a 2nd this year. I would take a shot at silfverberg I think he is the type of player who would fit in here. Not sure how to go about trading for him, having a contract in place or not giving up much assets and seeing him walk. If Buffalo could get permission to speak to his agent I would love to see him in a sabres jersey.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Hey guys.What do you think it would take to get lindholm from Anaheim? 25 years old , good contract, great skater defensive defencemen.Do you think our first and San Jose plus Guhlie does it? Curious what you guys think

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Hey guys.What do you think it would take to get lindholm from Anaheim? 25 years old , good contract, great skater defensive defencemen.Do you think our first and San Jose plus Guhlie does it? Curious what you guys think
If we are trading a 1st I would rather see it for forward help. As bad as our defence has played at times I think it is not the reason we are a bad team. Guys like Sobotka, Okposo, Pominville (I would throw Sheary in there too but has played well lately) and perhaps others need to go for this team to take the next step.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
We have no idea if any of these coaches would have even signed with Buffalo. For all we know we gave offers to Trotz and Julien and both were rejected (unlikely mind you). In Q's case, it doesn't look like he is in a hurry to sign with anyone.

I don't disagree, but there's no reports/chatter to suggest either GM made any ovatures or even thought about it since they both kept the same bad/failing coaches into the next season.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
If we are trading a 1st I would rather see it for forward help. As bad as our defence has played at times I think it is not the reason we are a bad team. Guys like Sobotka, Okposo, Pominville (I would throw Sheary in there too but has played well lately) and perhaps others need to go for this team to take the next step.
I agree with above players.I just figured Smith, Olofsson,Nylander, O'reagan, Asplund, Daviddson, plus free agency would address that problem

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Not buying is fine by me, but that has to make us sellers. Staying put and making zero moves isn’t an option. Sell some lower guys for picks or Rochester upgrades.

Also, hockey trades should definitely be looked at.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not buying is fine by me, but that has to make us sellers. Staying put and making zero moves isn’t an option. Sell some lower guys for picks or Rochester upgrades.

Also, hockey trades should definitely be looked at.

Seeing all the moves JB has done since being hired I posted in the JB thread... he definitely won’t make “zero” moves. He’s been pretty active IMO. Mostly off season stuff. Not too many during the first few months of the season. Which a lot of posters are annoyed by.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Seeing all the moves JB has done since being hired I posted in the JB thread... he definitely won’t make “zero” moves. He’s been pretty active IMO. Mostly off season stuff. Not too many during the first few months of the season. Which a lot of posters are annoyed by.

History of NHL trades by the Buffalo Sabres - NHL Trade Tracker

So far this season he has made 3 trades and all of them were AHL trades.

The only non-TDL in-season deal that added an NHL to the Sabres roster that Botts has made in either of his two seasons as the Sabres GM was his 5th for Wilson deal last season.

I don't see where he has been "pretty active" IMO.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
History of NHL trades by the Buffalo Sabres - NHL Trade Tracker

So far this season he has made 3 trades and all of them were AHL trades.

The only non-TDL in-season deal that added an NHL to the Sabres roster that Botts has made in either of his two seasons as the Sabres GM was his 5th for Wilson deal last season.

I don't see where he has been "pretty active" IMO.

I meant overall since hired. And I just addressed the concern of zero moves by him :dunno:

Agree to disagree about zero vs. active vs. fever pitch vs. whatever adjective one wants to use.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014

Looks like O'Regan and Leirer (along with Wedgewood) will become group 6 UFA's barring sudden play time in the NHL.

Wonder if Stolarz gets enough games in, nobody else on the list really jumped out at me.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Looks like O'Regan and Leirer (along with Wedgewood) will become group 6 UFA's barring sudden play time in the NHL.

Wonder if Stolarz gets enough games in, nobody else on the list really jumped out at me.

Poturalski, Gilmour and Dea are interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->