Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Saying Botts has done a terrible job considering what he came into isn’t really bright.

He’s building a hockey organization that is focused on development.

It’s not going to happen in 1 or 2 or even 3 years.
He only has 4 years tops IMO, Housley is gone after next year if it is a bad year again.

I get what you are saying but Pegulas are notorious for management turnover and missing the playoffs 3 straight years with Botts and Housley isn't going to cut it.

We are 2 points out of the playoffs. If Botts can get some help now that doesn't sacrifice the future and is on a long term contract it will turn things around. We could be only one 2nd/3rd line center away from the playoffs.

Make the playoffs and build on it for next year. Its possible to make the playoffs, trades and build for the future believe it or not.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Botts good / Botts bad I don’t want to definitely say yet.

However the idea that since he traded for a skinner level player once he could do it again; that’s insane.

Go out and replicate the biggest blow out trade this year.
Its never insane, its his job. Regier did it and so do other GMs.

In all reality no one is expecting another Skinner trade, what some expect is long term help. For him to get off his hands and help this team.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Saying Botts has done a terrible job considering what he came into isn’t really bright.

Came into a team that had 2 top 6 centers which is key to develop future players that could fit into those roles in 2-3 years at a good development speed. Decided to punt that and traded that strength away.

Hired 2 coaches to their first professional head coaching gig. Causing us to wait for them to develop into a teacher while trying to make lineup decisions that impact development.

If Botts was about slow development, Mittelstadt is in Rochester centering one of the top 2 lines.

There’s nothing about this team that screams a focus on developing players, unless your definition of development is as simple as the players gain experience.

Reactions: truthbluth

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Its never insane, its his job. Regier did it and so do other GMs.

In all reality no one is expecting another Skinner trade, what some expect is long term help. For him to get off his hands and help this team.

I said it’s insane to expect him to pull off two skinner level trades. I’m not backing off that opinion.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He only has 4 years tops IMO, Housley is gone after next year if it is a bad year again.

I get what you are saying but Pegulas are notorious for management turnover and missing the playoffs 3 straight years with Botts and Housley isn't going to cut it.

We are 2 points out of the playoffs. If Botts can get some help now that doesn't sacrifice the future and is on a long term contract it will turn things around. We could be only one 2nd/3rd line center away from the playoffs.

Make the playoffs and build on it for next year. Its possible to make the playoffs, trades and build for the future believe it or not.

What teams are looking to give Buffalo long term help without asking for substantial futures?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Love Mittelstadt’s play since the Allstar break. Mitts and Erod are taking the pressure off acquiring a 2/3C

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson
Sheary - Mittelstadt- Reinhart
CJ Smith - ERod - Thompson
Girgs - Larsson - Okposo

Unfortunately, we would have to sit Sobotka and Pomer.

Reactions: PirateShip

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What teams are looking to give Buffalo long term help without asking for substantial futures?

This team is in a serious need for trades like getting an Adam Mair, or a Jochen Hecht, or a JP Dumont. Not necessarily high on the wow factor but reliable players that can be on the roster for years providing roles.

Reactions: Chainshot

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Love Mittelstadt’s play since the Allstar break. Mitts and Erod are taking the pressure off acquiring a 2/3C

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson
Sheary - Mittelstadt- Reinhart
CJ Smith - ERod - Thompson
Girgs - Larsson - Okposo

Unfortunately, we would have to sit Sobotka and Pomer.
Unfortunately? I say you remove the first 2 letters of that sentence.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

This is nuts. The roster is worse than the one he got. The coach is, somehow, worse than the one preceding him. The organizational depth is, at best, equal to what he came into. The only thing he has on the state of the franchise over what he came into is future draft picks.

You absolutely can judge him based on the immediate merits of his decisions so far, and with the exception of robbing Carolina in the Skinner trade (where Skinner held all the cards and wanted to be here), he’s been a worse than average NHL GM.

He had a good draft his first year when he let the other guy’s scouts make all the picks. Then he fired those guys, and brought in new ones. Then he gets gifted a draft pick he can’t blow, and was mediocre in every other pick in 2018. I like the player ok, but is there anything more uninspired than that Samuelsson pick? That’s a, “oh jeez, I sure don’t want to blow it here,” pick if ever there has been one.

There hasn’t been one great move that wasn’t gifted to him.

Reactions: Mitts888

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I don't expect his vet placeholder, transition acquisitions meant to fill in short-term until his drafts can take effect, to be complete players that are worthy of final judgement. There were already some dumb (but talented) players on the roster that I don't expect Botterill to trade away before there are adequate replacements or improvements. Housley can easily be replaced, just a matter of what Botterill (and the Pegulas) choose to do. Wait and see is all I can say. I'll judge Botterill harshly if he sticks with him and nothing changes.

I'm genuinely curious. Considering that most late first rounders, let alone later round picks can take on average anywhere between 2-5 years to even become a NHL rookie, what kind of time frame are you expecting that the Sabres should just stay with being patient and developing internally? Do you expect this current roster, depending basically on internal player growth/development and maybe 1-2 rookies from Rochester, random FA signings to fill out roster to be playoff bubble competitive?

Reactions: Chainshot

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This team is in a serious need for trades like getting an Adam Mair, or a Jochen Hecht, or a JP Dumont. Not necessarily high on the wow factor but reliable players that can be on the roster for years providing roles.

Larsson= Mair
Girgs/Erod= Hecht
Mitts=Dumont

Seriously, I think we just gotta be patient with these guys and they'll turn into consistent quality players- ceiling is pretty high for Mitts, could be peak Dumont but a better goal scorer. I love Erod's game lately as well. If he can just be a solid 20 goal guy that'd do wonders for our lineup.

Reactions: Mitts888

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Larsson= Mair
Girgs/Erod= Hecht
Mitts=Dumont

Seriously, I think we just gotta be patient with these guys and they'll turn into consistent quality players- ceiling is pretty high for Mitts, could be peak Dumont but a better goal scorer. I love Erod's game lately as well. If he can just be a solid 20 goal guy that'd do wonders for our lineup.

Hecht was an excellent defensive player who complemented top-line offensive talent seemlessly. Even stitching Girgs and ERod together isn't half the player prime Hecht was.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Find a way to drop:

Poms, Okposo, Scandella. Throw in Nylander if ya have to, just get those guys gone.

Keep Sobotka just cause I don't wanna have to depend on 3 call-ups. Sit Sobotka if the AHLers are getting it done, though.

I figure we aren't going deep this year, so we might as well shed bad contracts and gear up for next year.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Hecht was an excellent defensive player who complemented top-line offensive talent seemlessly. Even stitching Girgs and ERod together isn't half the player prime Hecht was.

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking 1-for-1 so much as combined impact. Very few prime Hecht's around the league, though- anyone you have in mind? Otherwise, as long as we have some guys who can play with our stars and don't completely suck on D I'm happy.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
This is nuts. The roster is worse than the one he got. The coach is, somehow, worse than the one preceding him. The organizational depth is, at best, equal to what he came into. The only thing he has on the state of the franchise over what he came into is future draft picks.

You absolutely can judge him based on the immediate merits of his decisions so far, and with the exception of robbing Carolina in the Skinner trade (where Skinner held all the cards and wanted to be here), he’s been a worse than average NHL GM.

He had a good draft his first year when he let the other guy’s scouts make all the picks. Then he fired those guys, and brought in new ones. Then he gets gifted a draft pick he can’t blow, and was mediocre in every other pick in 2018. I like the player ok, but is there anything more uninspired than that Samuelsson pick? That’s a, “oh jeez, I sure don’t want to blow it here,” pick if ever there has been one.

There hasn’t been one great move that wasn’t gifted to him.
How do you figure this roster is worse than the one he got? We’re battling for a f***ing playoff spot. He brought in... 6 new faces this year? He literally turned over a quarter of the roster this off season and despite our bitching, we’re performing well damn near 3/4’s of the way into the season.

The fact of the matter is, this line up is young and battling for a playoff spot. We likely will have 3 firsts this year. As well as a decent pool of prospects. Really only one bad contract on the team in terms of term(which he didn’t sign). Cap space this summer and roster spots opening for the kids that are ready(VO, Nylander, etc).

Everyone agrees we don’t want to move a first for a rental center. So what does he do? A 4th line LW just garnered a 2nd. Let him feel out the market and see if he can make a hockey trade. If not I have no problems waiting for the draft to make that trade.

We’ve been shitty for so long and people are getting impatient. But we are in a really good spot and just a little more patience will go a long way.

(Sorry for the long reply to your post, I read your first sentence and went to reply and then rambled).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fair enough, I wasn't thinking 1-for-1 so much as combined impact. Very few prime Hecht's around the league, though- anyone you have in mind? Otherwise, as long as we have some guys who can play with our stars and don't completely suck on D I'm happy.

Previous to the start of the season, someone like Silfverberg from Anaheim. He'll be sold off as part of deadline rental acquisitions and as a UFA, he'll probably get overpaid this summer. Paul Byron in Montreal is another, though I can't see Montreal parting with him right now, especially in the division.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Find a way to drop:

Poms, Okposo, Scandella. Throw in Nylander if ya have to, just get those guys gone.

Keep Sobotka just cause I don't wanna have to depend on 3 call-ups. Sit Sobotka if the AHLers are getting it done, though.

I figure we aren't going deep this year, so we might as well shed bad contracts and gear up for next year.

Getting ride of Poms, Okposo and Scandella is the dream at this point. I actually really like KO as a 4th liner. A VERY expensive 4th line at that. Nylander developing into a Top 6 player would be a game changer for the Sabres. Buts its looking less likely by the week.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Pominville is gone next season because his contract is up. Not sure why people are acting like Botts has to do something about it. He should have been bought out last offseason.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The emergence of a 2nd line, Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart, is huge but 6 weeks too late.

Get Pominville off Eichel's line - call up O'Regan or Olofsson. Somebody needs to put ol' Pommer in the back of the station wagon for the drive to the farm where he'll be happier.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Previous to the start of the season, someone like Silfverberg from Anaheim. He'll be sold off as part of deadline rental acquisitions and as a UFA, he'll probably get overpaid this summer. Paul Byron in Montreal is another, though I can't see Montreal parting with him right now, especially in the division.

Don't count on Silfverberg getting overpaid, his numbers are bad this year- if he's not too expensive we should be in the running so long as it's not gonna be an Okposo sorta situation. I love Lord Byron but ya, not sure he's leaving MTL.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
The emergence of a 2nd line, Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart, is huge but 6 weeks too late.

Get Pominville off Eichel's line - call up O'Regan or Olofsson. Somebody needs to put ol' Pommer in the back of the station wagon for the drive to the farm where he'll be happier.

Seriously, thanks Baccus for the reminder that we really don't need to do anything with Poms.. except maybe don't play him. See what Olofsson brings to the table, what do we really hope for out of Poms? Why is this still a thing? You have a ppg player in the AHL, see if it translates so you're ready for next year- you know Jason is done and gone, stop wasting time on that.

And yes, next year. I know, playoffs are fun, but it's not realistic to think we'd get past the first round if we get there at all- plan for the future, which conveniently involves a lot of the same moves as if we were planning for now- basically seeing what our AHLers have while dropping some oldies. Just don't do any rentals or prospect moves outside of maybe Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad