Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hey guys.What do you think it would take to get lindholm from Anaheim? 25 years old , good contract, great skater defensive defencemen.Do you think our first and San Jose plus Guhlie does it? Curious what you guys think
I don't see why they would let him go. If they did, it would cost more than that.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
How about Okposo for Kesler + 1m retained

I here Kesler is just about done physically but is it worth taking a chance on? Is Okposo actually better than Kesler? Any chance Kesler can recover? Seems like one bad contract for another but Okposo might actually be the more servicable payer.

The advantage is Kesler's contract is a year shorter. Never going to happen but just thought I would throw it out there. Always liked Kesler's game even though he is a shell of his former self.

Good lord no. NO NO NO NOOOOOOO

No-No-No-NoNoNo *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I meant overall since hired. And I just addressed the concern of zero moves by him :dunno:

Agree to disagree about zero vs. active vs. fever pitch vs. whatever adjective one wants to use.

I'm just curious about what your scale is.

At least year's trade deadline, he only made one trade. That was on the low end when you look around the league.

Every GM makes some moves. I would look at Botts' track record and say that he is on the less active end of the range when comparing what other GMs do.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
History of NHL trades by the Buffalo Sabres - NHL Trade Tracker

So far this season he has made 3 trades and all of them were AHL trades.

The only non-TDL in-season deal that added an NHL to the Sabres roster that Botts has made in either of his two seasons as the Sabres GM was his 5th for Wilson deal last season.

I don't see where he has been "pretty active" IMO.

There's only been 40 trades since the season started involving a player.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's been incredibly frustrating to watch as Julien, Trotz and now Q have become available while the Sabres are grinding their gears with questionable coaches. Montreal knew enough to just fire their current coach midseason and get a major upgrade.
The problem is the win streak which has completely saved Housley mid season, I also have a feeling that he will be here next year as well because I don't feel like Botterill feels like his hands are warm enough yet from sitting on them.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm just curious about what your scale is.

At least year's trade deadline, he only made one trade. That was on the low end when you look around the league.

Every GM makes some moves. I would look at Botts' track record and say that he is on the less active end of the range when comparing what other GMs do.

Perhaps you’re right. Perhaps he is less active than other GM’s. I have not nor will I take the time to look at 30 other GM’s and all of their moves over the same time that JB has been hired as the Sabres GM. To compare them. It took me long enough to look up JB and all his activity and figure out how to post it all in a format on this forum. Because I never do it. Others post that kind of stuff here all the time and they’re much better at it and much quicker at it. If I sat and compared 30 other GM’s, to see the frequency of their activity versus JB’s activity, it would literally take me days and days. Others maybe it would take an hour. I’m not gonna waste my time on that :dunno:

Just looking at his body of work since he’s been hired, in my opinion, There’s no concern to think that he has made zero moves or will make zero moves. Which is the original sentence I was addressing from another poster. That single sentence. Not the nuance of the word “active”.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Perhaps you’re right. Perhaps he is less active than other GM’s. I have not nor will I take the time to look at 30 other GM’s and all of their moves over the same time that JB has been hired as the Sabres GM. To compare them. It took me long enough to look up JB and all his activity and figure out how to post it all in a format on this forum. Because I never do it. Others post that kind of stuff here all the time and they’re much better at it and much quicker at it. If I sat and compared 30 other GM’s, to see the frequency of their activity versus JB’s activity, it would literally take me days and days. Others maybe it would take an hour. I’m not gonna waste my time on that :dunno:

Just looking at his body of work since he’s been hired, in my opinion, There’s no concern to think that he has made zero moves or will make zero moves. Which is the original sentence I was addressing from another poster. That single sentence. Not the nuance of the word “active”.

He made one trade at the TDL last year.

He might make a deal or two.

But, I won't be surprised if he sits on his hands since he doesn't want to buy a rental and he doesn't have much to sell, especially if Skinner won't waive.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Again, I'll chalk up the deadline as a win if Botterill can move out at least one of the guys on bad contracts for next season (Scandella, Bogo, Sobotka). The Bogo ship may have sailed with his most recent injury, though. Frankly, I'm not expecting much. Maybe he trades Girgensons or Larsson to a team looking for some PK help, and in exchange he gets an AHL player with a little upside but no long-term future in his current organization - a Danny O'Regan type, perhaps. Maybe he ships out Beaulieu for a 5th or a 6th. But I don't expect much beyond that.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Don't worry, from a factual standpoint you're correct. He's made 3 trades this season out of a league wide 40 moves involving players. From an emotional view point, some people will agree with you, and some won't. C'est la vive.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Again, I'll chalk up the deadline as a win if Botterill can move out at least one of the guys on bad contracts for next season (Scandella, Bogo, Sobotka). The Bogo ship may have sailed with his most recent injury, though. Frankly, I'm not expecting much. Maybe he trades Girgensons or Larsson to a team looking for some PK help, and in exchange he gets an AHL player with a little upside but no long-term future in his current organization - a Danny O'Regan type, perhaps. Maybe he ships out Beaulieu for a 5th or a 6th. But I don't expect much beyond that.

I have a fear that he has solidly slotted 4th liners who he could maintain for decent cost control going forward for the usual junk trade returns he has landed so far in shuffling out Murray drafted/acquired players in the recent past. Is moving Larry or Gus for pocket lint a win? I don't. And yet I fear that's what he's going to do as a path to clear spots for the younger players.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I'd like to see him move out dead weight and let the kids play too. As for O'Regan, I'd like to see him up with the Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd like to see him move out dead weight and let the kids play too. As for O'Regan, I'd like to see him up with the Sabres.

And if they can't move the dross, then at least mandate elevating the kids for a time and working them into important minutes. Heaven knows they've hamfisted away the benefits of the winning streak and still don't have a handle on what the kids can do in key roles. Would it kill them to put Smith into the lineup and have him PK? Or O'Regan in a depth role? Or Olofsson in a 2nd PP role (in a forehand shooting spot that benefits his skills)?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
And if they can't move the dross, then at least mandate elevating the kids for a time and working them into important minutes. Heaven knows they've hamfisted away the benefits of the winning streak and still don't have a handle on what the kids can do in key roles. Would it kill them to put Smith into the lineup and have him PK? Or O'Regan in a depth role? Or Olofsson in a 2nd PP role (in a forehand shooting spot that benefits his skills)?

Move Scandella and Beaulieu out, as they have some value to teams in contention. If Botterill can move Bogosian and/or Sobotka without adding more dead weight or keeping too much contract, that's fine too. Move Pominville to the best possible team, with salary retention, to give him the best shot at winning.

Then re-sign Skinner and go with the kids.

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Smith - ERod - Thompson
Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

McCabe - Dahlin
Pilut - Ristolainen
Guhle - Nelson

Hope to finish the year on a kid-inspiring run to 9th place. Then send everyone to Rochester and win the Calder Cup

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
The problem is the win streak which has completely saved Housley mid season, I also have a feeling that he will be here next year as well because I don't feel like Botterill feels like his hands are warm enough yet from sitting on them.

tbh I think from Botts perspective Phil was safe this season if the team made any improvement at all. Unfortunately it would probably take a disaster for Phil to be fired in season two of Botts rebooted rebuild. There seems to be no urgency at all to win any time in the near future.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thinking about a Ristolainen trade.... I'm not for trading him, but put some thought to it just because.

To the Kings for Kupari, Grundstrom, and Toronto's first?

That's plug a lot of organizational holes. Sabres would need a stop gap at RD until Borgen is ready, and might have to get Dahlin to play the right side more.

Reactions: stokes84

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thinking about a Ristolainen trade.... I'm not for trading him, but put some thought to it just because.

To the Kings for Kupari, Grundstrom, and Toronto's first?

That's plug a lot of organizational holes. Sabres would need a stop gap at RD until Borgen is ready, and might have to get Dahlin to play the right side more.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->