Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I love Marc Staal. He's one of my favorite players in the league and was one of my top targets until he re-signed.

He is not worth a top 10 pick.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I have a higher opinion of Staal I guess.

And I don't think it's a "rushing things" move. It's converting depth prospects and futures into a top pairing defensemen. It's the type of move Murray should be looking for

Staal-Bogo would be a legit all situations 25 minute top pair for the next 6 years.

And although the value offered is high... There's not one painful piece in there IMO

Zadorov + 2016 1st is a little painful IMO.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'm hoping for.... Start Eichel on 2nd line until he's ready for 1st line minutes. And put him with a sniper like moulson and a vet like Gionta. Eichel has unreal vision and i think could work well with those two especially not going against other teams top shutdown pairs....then hopefully he can become the #1 guy and maybe Reinhart can slot into that 3rd line and make Hodgson expendable for a trade for a defensemen.

But for now, i'd like to see these lines out of camp and again, thats if reinhart isn't ready

E. Kane-Girgensons-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel- Gionta
Foligno-Larsson-Hodgson
Deslauriers-Mccormick/Schaller-Kaleta

I love your guys center depth and LW depth and other than Ennis, not a big fan of the RW'ers hahah.... heck, maybe even Grigorenko cracks the lineup next year full time if he commits to playing a two way game, u can see he has skill.

Mez-Risto
Zadorov-Bogo
Gorges-Strachan
Benoit/Weber

I have faith in Zadorov....... I hate the left side other than zadorov tho lol

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm hoping for.... Start Eichel on 2nd line until he's ready for 1st line minutes. And put him with a sniper like moulson and a vet like Gionta. Eichel has unreal vision and i think could work well with those two especially not going against other teams top shutdown pairs....then hopefully he can become the #1 guy and maybe Reinhart can slot into that 3rd line and make Hodgson expendable for a trade for a defensemen.

But for now, i'd like to see these lines out of camp and again, thats if reinhart isn't ready

E. Kane-Girgensons-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel- Gionta
Foligno-Larsson-Hodgson

I love your guys center depth and LW depth and other than Ennis, not a big fan of the RW'ers hahah.... heck, maybe even Grigorenko cracks the lineup next year full time if he commits to playing a two way game, u can see he has skill.

Mez-Risto
Zadorov-Bogo
Gorges-Strachan
Benoit/Weber

Mez, Benoit and Strachan are all UFA's and I'd be pissed if any were brought back.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

E. Kane-Girgensons-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel- Gionta
Foligno-Larsson-Hodgson

Mez-Risto
Zadorov-Bogo
Gorges-Strachan
Benoit/Weber

Those forward lines aren't bad in the event that Reinhart needs to start in the AHL, but our defense will look substantially different. Like the post above says, Strachan, Mez, and Benoit are free agents. Pysyk will absolutely be in the line-up, more likely than Zadorov even. Gorges' recovery is a big question mark as well. I wouldn't expect him to be ready to start the year. Bogosian, Ristolainen, Pysyk, and Weber are the four guys I'm sure will be there. The rest might be signings or a youngster such as Zadorov or McCabe.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Zadorov + 2016 1st is a little painful IMO.

With a stacked pool of talent full of "sure things" and proven young NhLers, I find no pain in trading non sure thing futures.

Especially considering I'm getting a prime aged LD with 6 years of term

I'll always lean towards over paying when targeting specifics players filling specific needs (top pair LD)

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
With a stacked pool of talent full of "sure things" and proven young NhLers, I find no pain in trading non sure thing futures.

Especially considering I'm getting a prime aged LD with 6 years of term

I'll always lean towards over paying when targeting specifics players filling specific needs (top pair LD)

You really think we're in a position to trade what could amount to a top four LD for the next decade, a potential #2 center, a pick at #21 that will turn into a very promising prospect, and a potential top ten pick next year for Marc Staal? I like Staal, but that is way too many promising and cost-controlled pieces to give up for one player. I'd be interested in Staal, but not at that price.

When a team is constructed like this one with so many players aged 18-22, isn't it the wrong time to severely overpay for one position of need? Zadorov and McCabe could both turn into that top pairing LD. This team isn't contending this year, and we'll know a lot more about where to project Zadorov and McCabe in the future next offseason. That's the time for this kind of deal, not this offseason.

Bps21*

4 1st rounders for Marc Staal? 4? FOUR? For...Marc Staal?

Not like...Marc Staal and...2 1st rounders?

The concept of trading the 2016 1st, top five protected or no, is flawed...those sure thing guys are all stupid young and year 1 of trying to win after two seasons as the worst team in recorded history...well...Rome wasn't built in a day. boy would that draft in Buffalo be ****ing miserable. We trade our 1 and then watch Pittsburgh go up to pick with one of our 3rds

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

E. Kane-Girgensons-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel- Gionta
Foligno-Larsson-Hodgson

Mez-Risto
Zadorov-Bogo
Gorges-Strachan
Benoit/Weber

In 3-4 years I believe Zadorov will be our best D. We need to be patient, he has all the physical tools, size, drive and passion required.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
4 1st rounders for Marc Staal? 4? FOUR? For...Marc Staal?

Not like...Marc Staal and...2 1st rounders?

The concept of trading the 2016 1st, top five protected or no, is flawed...those sure thing guys are all stupid young and year 1 of trying to win after two seasons as the worst team in recorded history...well...Rome wasn't built in a day. boy would that draft in Buffalo be ****ing miserable. We trade our 1 and then watch Pittsburgh go up to pick with one of our 3rds

If we spend 4 first round draft picks the only player I want coming back it Tarasenko. :nod:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I was just going to post this. :laugh:

Because his "situation" basically forced him on to the Buffalo roster... It's skewed the perception of him as a prospect.

He's definitely going to be in Rochester next year, and he's got a ways to go if he's ever going to be a top tier defensemen

Risto is miles ahead of him in development

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I get it though... Hfboards value... Prospect and Picks!!!!

I find more value in adding a legit top pairing defensemen with 6 yrs of terms

I find more value in having a shut down 25 minute pairing, not because it gets us to the playoffs next year, but because it makes us a better team, and we will win more games, and that is what builds a culture of winning. Not talking about it and waiting for depth prospects all to turn out exactly as we hope

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If my offer is the type that the Rangers could not refuse... That was my intent. I'm not interested in winning arbitrary trade value. I'm interested in getting the right players. I think Murray sees things the same way.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He's definitely going to be in Rochester next year

We've (hfboards) come a long way since the beginning of the season when it was socially unacceptable to suggest that Zadorov would be in Rochester next season.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If my offer is the type that the Rangers could not refuse... That was my intent. I'm not interested in winning arbitrary trade value. I'm interested in getting the right players. I think Murray sees things the same way.

I like Staal, I like Staal's contract, I don't like the cost in assets we'd have to pay to get him. That's what you'd pay to get a Norris caliber d-man....Staal is not a norris caliber d-man.

Our 2016 pick is probably going to be top 10, with or without staal.

That's the price you pay when you are a player away. There are plenty of cheap fixes to get us through next year when we can evaluate where Zadorov, McCabe, and Gorges are. We'll also have a good idea about the UFA market (http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&team=all&UFA=1) stands.

If the price for Staal was Zadorov/McCabe + 21, ok, you could probably convince me. But there are very few players I'd offer up the 2016 1st for.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In addition: For Staal, we might run into a Jeff Carter-esque in Columbus situation. Signs a long term deal for one team, gets dealt before NTC kicks in, is very unhappy with the situation, pouts until Columbus is forced to trade him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I like Staal, I like Staal's contract, I don't like the cost in assets we'd have to pay to get him. That's what you'd pay to get a Norris caliber d-man....Staal is not a norris caliber d-man.

Our 2016 pick is probably going to be top 10, with or without staal.

That's the price you pay when you are a player away. There are plenty of cheap fixes to get us through next year when we can evaluate where Zadorov, McCabe, and Gorges are. We'll also have a good idea about the UFA market (http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&team=all&UFA=1) stands.

If the price for Staal was Zadorov/McCabe + 21, ok, you could probably convince me. But there are very few players I'd offer up the 2016 1st for.

Zadorov, Grigorenko, 21st, protected 1st
For
She's Weber

Lol

That package gets you nowhere close to a top 5 defensemen in the NHL

Thanks for helping bring clarity to the value

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Zadorov, Grigorenko, 21st, protected 1st
For
She's Weber

Lol

That package gets you nowhere close to a top 5 defensemen in the NHL

Thanks for helping bring clarity to the value

You're correct, the Norris caliber d-man comment is a bit off the mark. That being said, there are probably 10-15 players in the league i put the 2016 1st in play for given our teams circumstance. Marc Staal isn't one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland