Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Can't help but think that there is a 40% chance that Chicago will trade Crawford this summer.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Spitballing some scenarios:

Deal # 1:
To AZ: Hodgson + 2016 # 4 Pick
To BUF: Gormley

Deal # 2:
To OTT: Grigorenko, Gormley + 2015 # 2 Pick
To BUF: Lehner, Weircioch and Chiasson

Then the previously-proposed ROR package (Zadorov, Foligno + 21st).

Maybe fantasy...but Weircioch could provide: 1) the more experienced LHD so many are clamoring for; 2) size that would be lost if Zadorov gets inserted into package for ROR; and 3) age (25) and salary that fits Murray's criteria.

Chiasson replaces Foligno as bottom 9 winger.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Anyone else think it's not necessarily plausible to send Zad back to ROC this season?

On one hand he could certainly use the development with top minutes and hopefully dominance playing in all situations and being a team leader (theoretically).

On the other hand, it would be somewhat of a precedence in spite of the cloudy circumstances that got him into the NHL last year. Also, having a new coach, new system etc. might not necessarily hinder his development but allow him to thrive.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Spitballing some scenarios:

Deal # 1:
To AZ: Hodgson + 2016 # 4 Pick
To BUF: Gormley

Deal # 2:
To OTT: Grigorenko, Gormley + 2015 # 2 Pick
To BUF: Lehner, Weircioch and Chiasson

Then the previously-proposed ROR package (Zadorov, Foligno + 21st).

Maybe fantasy...but Weircioch could provide: 1) the more experienced LHD so many are clamoring for; 2) size that would be lost if Zadorov gets inserted into package for ROR; and 3) age (25) and salary that fits Murray's criteria.

Chiasson replaces Foligno as bottom 9 winger.

I would stop after the first trade.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Anyone else think it's not necessarily plausible to send Zad back to ROC this season?

On one hand he could certainly use the development with top minutes and hopefully dominance playing in all situations and being a team leader (theoretically).

On the other hand, it would be somewhat of a precedence in spite of the cloudy circumstances that got him into the NHL last year. Also, having a new coach, new system etc. might not necessarily hinder his development but allow him to thrive.

Two things will factor into what will happen.

1) The ability of Murray to bring in a top 4 LHD.

2) Zadorovs play. He may very well earn his spot on the team.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The more we've heard from Murray and Bylsma, the lower my expectations are for next year.

I think we will

A) Add a veteran D-man.
B) Sign some 4th line UFAs
C) maybe pick up a RW from a cap strapped team.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Sounds right. It's still up in the air really. It will be a big preseason for several guys. If that LHD is brought in, does that punch Zs ticket to ROC? Not necessarily I suppose.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The more we've heard from Murray and Bylsma, the lower my expectations are for next year.

I think we will

A) Add a veteran D-man.

i wonder if we could poach hagelin from the rangers...
having a d heavy line of hagelin-larsson-des/foligno would be pretty great imo

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
To add to my last post, some "cheaper" thoughts:

To Buffalo: Carle
To Tampa: 2016 (not ours) 3rd

He has 3 years left @ 5.5. He's on the decline, but I think he could help take some ice time away from Jorges

Sign: Steve Downie to a 2 year, 3 Million total deal

Trade:

To Ottawa: 2017 2nd (MN's), 2015 4th round pick
To Buffalo: Lehner, Legwand.

To Dallas: 51st OA
To Buffalo: Trevor Daley

Kane-Eichel-Ennis
Moulson-Larsson-Grigerenko
Foligno-Girgensons-Gionta
Deslauriers-Legwand-Downie
McCormick

Daley-Bogo
Carle-Risto
Gorges-Pysyk
Weber

Lehner
Johnson

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I dont think there will be a LH D spot up for grabs.

Zads and McCabe will be in the AHL.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I dont think there will be a LH D spot up for grabs.

Zads and McCabe will be in the AHL.

No doubt a d man is added but it is a bit of an anomaly to have a full season up, then a full season down. If Z does find himself up, it'll probably be because he's leapfrogged someone.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No doubt a d man is added but it is a bit of an anomaly to have a full season up, then a full season down. If Z does find himself up, it'll probably be because he's leapfrogged someone.

Last season was an anomaly of sorts. Zads couldn't go to the AHL and they couldn't send him to juniors because of a waiver issue with the Russian team holding his rights.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Last season was an anomaly of sorts. Zads couldn't go to the AHL and they couldn't send him to juniors because of a waiver issue with the Russian team holding his rights.

Good point. I still think it's a bit of a toss up so as much I'd like to see him in ROC, it wouldn't surprise me either way.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good point. I still think it's a bit of a toss up so as much I'd like to see him in ROC, it wouldn't surprise me either way.

A lot will depend on how Murray views him and where he thinks is best for Zads development.

EDIT: I can see both sides of the argument. But I do think if Zads is in the NHL next season. Murray will not want him in the top 4 to start the season.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I think we will

A) Add a veteran D-man.

It seems that is what they were saying. But I can't imagine that Murray doesn't have more major changes up his sleeve especially with cap strapped teams needing to shed players. He has already traded a first round draft pick for a player and says he wants to do it again.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
EDIT: But I do think if Zads is next in the NHL Murray will not want him in the top 4 to start the season.

That's one of the reasons I'm okay with him being in the A. Seems like we have 3 possible 3rd pairing LHD next season.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Imo Larsson changed some things for Murray. Hes got his top 4 centers now in place, with one of them moving to wing eventually.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
A lot will depend on how Murray views him and where he thinks is best for Zads development.

EDIT: I can see both sides of the argument. But I do think if Zads is in the NHL next season. Murray will not want him in the top 4 to start the season.

That just makes the most sense. The only possible problem is how will the young Russian take being seemingly demoted.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Given how he treated Pysyk (i.e told him what he w anted him to improve and basically kept him down there unless it was an emergency) I think most AHL eligible players will see AHL time unless it better for their development (and the team) for t hem to get NHL ice time. Almost all the senators major prospects spent time in the AHL. (including Karlsson)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What kind of offers could we together for Marc Staal?

Doubt you're going to get anybody to waive their NTC to come to Buffalo until we have showed we've turned a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln