Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Probably would cost more that what we'd be willing to pay.

It'd have to start with #21 (which I'm more than willing to do)......but the add-ons from there would likely sting a bit too much.

Zadorov, Grigorenko, #21st, 2016 1st top 5 protected?

New York has a cap crunch coming, key RFAs to re-sign, and they have no 1st rounders in 4 consecutive drafts

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

New York has a cap crunch coming, key RFAs to re-sign, and they have no 1st rounders in 4 consecutive drafts

Easy pass.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Boy, this is tough. Real tough. I had to think about this one while in the shower.

I think I have to pass though......that 2016 1st rounder isn't something I'm interested in dealing, even for a guy like Staal.

Certainly not an easy no for me.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think people have been plugging "futures" in to lineups for too long.

I don't necessarily disagree. And I also agree that since we have such a deep pool of prospects, it's OK to overpay slightly for something we need.

If I'm giving up that much though.....I want someone a touch younger than Staal. Someone who might not be on a slight decline once we're really ready to contend.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't necessarily disagree. And I also agree that since we have such a deep pool of prospects, it's OK to overpay slightly for something we need.

If I'm giving up that much though.....I want someone a touch younger than Staal. Someone who might not be on a slight decline once we're really ready to contend.

I don't see his game as the type that falls off in the early 30s

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think people have been plugging "futures" in to lineups for too long.

Why are we rushing things?

Staal isn't worth this type of package.

He's a good D-man ... not that good tho.

Ranger fans would jump on that package so fast. They'd take it and run.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why are we rushing things?

Staal isn't worth this type of package.

He's a good D-man ... not that good tho.

Ranger fans would jump on that package so fast. They'd take it and run.

I have a higher opinion of Staal I guess.

And I don't think it's a "rushing things" move. It's converting depth prospects and futures into a top pairing defensemen. It's the type of move Murray should be looking for

Staal-Bogo would be a legit all situations 25 minute top pair for the next 6 years.

And although the value offered is high... There's not one painful piece in there IMO

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Marc Staal is a shell of his former self. Playing for NY requires everyone to make Lundquist look as good as possible, so that can take a toll on a defender's their body. I would deal Grigo + 31 at most.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

If you believe the people who watch him the most (NYR fans), his game has already fallen off pretty drastically. I don't watch enough the Rangers to know if they're right, but it's certainly plausible with the injuries he's had in recent years.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Maybe.

He has a history of concussions. He had that scary eye injury.

He hasn't played a full season since 09-10.

Maybe his type of game won't fall off in his early 30s, but I worry that his body will betray him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There's not one painful piece in there IMO

IMO, that 2016 1st rounder is.

Maybe if it's top 10 protected I'd feel better.

But if we finish where I think we're going to finish, we're in line for another top 10 prospect who might provide a real boost at a cheap price right when we're ready to contend.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
IMO, that 2016 1st rounder is.

Maybe if it's top 10 protected I'd feel better.

But if we finish where I think we're going to finish, we're in line for another top 10 prospect who might provide a real boost at a cheap price right when we're ready to contend.

There's the rub...

Staal WILL provide a real boost to MAKING us a contender

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There's the rub...

Staal WILL provide a real boost to MAKING us a contender

If he stays healthy and his body doesn't let him down, sure.

I don't disagree that him and Bogo short-term would make for a great shut-down 25 min a game pair. Then Risto can still take some easier minutes while really blossoming.

My big problem with the trade is that I worry that he'll break down sooner rather than later......and there are some Ranger fans who believe that process has already begun

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
That trade depends on when you feel our cup window opens, how long it will last, and how long Staal will contribute to it. I think Zadorov will be a contributor to our cup window longer than Staal would be.

For that reason, I'm against trading him right now. Im fine with parting ways with Grigo, #21 overall and 2016 1st top 5 protected in any deal. Just think Zadorov will mature in the next couple years to provide for a longer time what Staal would give you for a shorter period. Which also brings the financial aspect into things. A cheaper Zadorov means you can spend elsewhere.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007

A possible top 10 pick for Marc Staal? Then adding 3 other first rounders? Murray would have to be insane.

NYR are my 2nd favorite team and that trade would be a gift from heaven for them.

On a side note, imagine: the draft in Buffalo in 2016 and the Rangers using our pick to draft 7th overall.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

That's really bad. NYR would take that and RUN.

Ranger fans were hammering on Marc all freaking year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA