Speculation: Roster Speculation 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
So..more Larssons?
Yeah, more or less; though it's hard to say if Larsson's indeed NHL-ready if they're scratching him or not feeding him double-digit minutes.

As it stands, we need to be more responsible defensively in the forward ranks, as the shots, chances and mistakes put too much pressure on the goalies. I also would like to see some more battle in them and less of a need for sheltered minutes / situational zone starts.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, more or less; though it's hard to say if Larsson's indeed NHL-ready if they're scratching him or not feeding him double-digit minutes.

As it stands, we need to be more responsible defensively in the forward ranks, as the shots, chances and mistakes put too much pressure on the goalies. I also would like to see some more battle in them and less of a need for sheltered minutes / situational zone starts.

I don't think his NHL readiness has much to do with his playing time. Rolston's trust in Porter, putting Ennis back at center along with giving Grigs a spot pushed him down the depth chart. Rolston himself has said Larsson was the best of the kids in preseason and loved everything about his game.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Also, part of the reason I want that type of return is that I'm all for trading Ott at the deadline to maximize future assets.
I don't think his NHL readiness has much to do with his playing time. Rolston's trust in Porter, putting Ennis back at center along with giving Grigs a spot pushed him down the depth chart. Rolston himself has said Larsson was the best of the kids in preseason and loved everything about his game.
I do think he's ready, but in order to pass my eye test and confirm previous thoughts and assumptions about the player and his readiness, I need to see more of him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Also, part of the reason I want that type of return is that I'm all for trading Ott at the deadline to maximize future assets.
I do think he's ready, but in order to pass my eye test and confirm previous thoughts and assumptions about the player and his readiness, I need to see more of him.

Fair enough

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Only waivers today is Chris Summers (PHX)

Link: https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/statuses/388335018331758592
Since we're 30th, we have waiver priority ... so is there any interest in a depth LHD in Summers? Sulzer replacement? Former first-round pick; very good skater, but more of a safe player so there's not much on the stat sheet.

Edit: Also, a USNTDP/Rolston connection.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I like Ott, and won't hate it if they re-sign him (to a reasonable deal), but my preference is that they trade him at the deadline. Playoff teams froth at the mouth for players like Ott. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we could pluck a 1st rounder from some team.

It's very possible that we could have at least seven top-60 picks in this next draft, and three in the 1st round if we get a 1st rounder for Ott--I assume we'll get one in any Vanek deal. (I'm assuming we'd get at least a 2nd in any Miller deal.)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'd certainly trade Ott if there's a good deal or negotiations don't pan out. I love the guy but ideally he's a third liner and we do have have guys coming through the system who can bring his hustle and energy. It's very unlikely to happen, though.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

I'd certainly trade Ott if there's a good deal or negotiations don't pan out. I love the guy but ideally he's a third liner and we do have have guys coming through the system who can bring his hustle and energy. It's very unlikely to happen, though.

You know it's going to happen. He's wearing the C this year.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If they do trade Ott and Vanek, we are left with Stafford and Leino (and Ennis and Hodgson, sort of) as our only non-4th line veteran forwards. It's a risky proposition.

It's hard to imagine, but we would get worse before we got better.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If they do trade Ott and Vanek, we are left with Stafford and Leino (and Ennis and Hodgson, sort of) as our only non-4th line veteran forwards. It's a risky proposition.

Oh, it's easy to imagine, but perhaps difficult to accept.

As I posted in the "we are not going to suck" thread, the Sabres will be an even younger team next year, desipte everyone aging a year/season, because of the loss of Miller / Vanek and the ascension of the Rochester rookies. (obviously assuming both those things happen)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Since we're 30th, we have waiver priority ... so is there any interest in a depth LHD in Summers? Sulzer replacement? Former first-round pick; very good skater, but more of a safe player so there's not much on the stat sheet.

Pretty sure waiver priority is still based on last season's standings at this point of the season

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Sounds like a perfect recipe to maximize our chance at McDavid.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I would trade Ott at the deadline for a second and a 2015 first. We throw in a lesser pick and I think we could do it.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
With all the picks we could be getting this year they might have to rent out another arena for prospects camp next summer.

kooldonuts

Oct 3, 2013
We need to trade Vanek. Simple as that. I don't want picks unless someone is going to cough up firsts, if not, I want an established leader. Ideally, I would want Ryan Callahan. He's from Rochester, and he's got that "Peca"-vibe that fans would pop for. I doubt that the rags would part with him, or even want Vanek, but if they keep losing, you never know.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
We need to trade Vanek. Simple as that. I don't want picks unless someone is going to cough up firsts, if not, I want an established leader. Ideally, I would want Ryan Callahan. He's from Rochester, and he's got that "Peca"-vibe that fans would pop for. I doubt that the rags would part with him, or even want Vanek, but if they keep losing, you never know.
Hey, if Vanek is "100% going to sign in Minnesota," we have to be shoe-ins for Callahan at the end of the year, right?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What about Vanek to NJ for Larsson? I know we are stacked on d prospects, but the kid is drowning over there and we should try to get the best player possible. We could always flip one for a forward at some point.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What about Vanek to NJ for Larsson? I know we are stacked on d prospects, but the kid is drowning over there and we should try to get the best player possible. We could always flip one for a forward at some point.

NJ wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole. You just don't trade a young player like Larsson for a pending UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad