Speculation: Roster Speculation 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
And yet, he's the one guy who he mentioned as being more mature than his years, so I expect he stays.

I'd say Girgs is the top candidate to stay (if yr' not counting Pysyk in the mix).

I think Risto is competing well against the big boys too. Don't understand if he has to be sent back to Finland or can be sent to Rochester. If Finland is the only choice, I'd keep him.

It's interesting that Risto's competing well at a position that it generally take longer to develop at. He's far, far ahead of Grigorenko at this point.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
IIRC, everyone ahead of Quebec in the standings has their two import slots filled already -- that's BLB, Halifax, BAC, Gatineau and Rimouski -- so idk that it'd be a current contender swinging a move for him. I think it's more likely to be a middling team; ie. Cape Breton's only using one import slot and that's for a Russian in Lazarev, as are Moncton with Barbashev.

Teams having 2 imports already don't mean they can't acquire another one, especially if the new euro is dominant.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd say Girgs is the top candidate to stay (if yr' not counting Pysyk in the mix).

I think Risto is competing well against the big boys too. Don't understand if he has to be sent back to Finland or can be sent to Rochester. If Finland is the only choice, I'd keep him.

It's interesting that Risto's competing well at a position that it generally take longer to develop at. He's far, far ahead of Grigorenko at this point.

Pysyk? That guy's been here for years. ;)

I don't know if they get rid of ALL the kids, but Grigorenko and Zadorov seem like easy enough moves. Larsson... he's right on the cusp and isn't a teenager. He competed, even under RonRol, so it may be a case of them slipping him back down to just get game action again. For him to draw back in doesn't seem all that odd.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Nothing selfish about it. The kid has earned his roster spot as a bottom pairing energy guy.
He has earned his spot, but do we want him logging bottom pair minutes, or do we want him playing first line minutes?
He still is a first round pick with offensive talent and i don't want to write him into a bottom 6 position off the bat.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I see absolutely no reason for Nolan to send Ristolainen back to Finland/to Rochester. He's more than handled himself physically and has done nothing but steadily improve from the start of the year.

Girgensons' offensive game needs quite a bit of work. It seems to me that his work ethic has skewed Sabres fans' perception of his actual skill level against NHL competition. He can work a cycle splendidly but I'm fairly certain there's more than that to his game. He's also got to get stronger on his skates. I'd like to see him back in Rochester.

Like Girgensons, Larsson hasn't been bad, but I think he'd benefit from playing on the farm a bit longer.

Grigorenko hasn't been nearly as detrimental as some posters have suggested, but he's just kind of been...nothing. That's not what Devine and co. had in mind when he was drafted. They need to pump the brakes on his development and send him back to junior.

Send Zadorov, who isn't even remotely ready, back to London.

Call up Adam and Porter.

Moulson-Hodgson-Stafford
Ennis-Leino-Ott
Adam-Porter-Flynn
Scott-McCormick-Tropp

Last edited:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
With MDZ rumored to be on the outs in New York, I wonder if LaFontaine kicks the tires there. He's young (23) but has a boatload of experience, having played 266 games in the NHL (not to mention 32 others that came in the playoffs).

They Sabres' cupboard is stocked on the back end, but considering this regime probably isn't married to any players/prospects, I wonder if something could be done?

Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing this, as I'm no Del Zotto fan, but I think it's worth the discussion.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I see absolutely no reason for Nolan to send Ristolainen back to Finland/to Rochester. He's more than handled himself physically and has done nothing but steadily improve from the start of the year.

Girgensons' offensive game needs quite a bit of work. It seems to me that his work ethic has skewed Sabres' fans perception of his actual skill level against NHL competition. He can work a cycle splendidly but I'm fairly certain there's more than that to his game. He's also got to get stronger on his skates. I'd like to see him back in Rochester.

Like Girgensons, Larsson hasn't been bad, but I think he'd benefit from playing on the farm a bit longer.

Grigorenko hasn't been nearly as detrimental as some posters have suggested, but he's just kind of been...nothing. That's not what Devine and co. had in mind when he was drafted. They need to pump the brakes on his development and send him back to junior.

Send Zadorov, who isn't even remotely ready, back to London.

Call up Adam and Porter.

Moulson-Hodgson-Stafford
Ennis-Leino-Ott
Adam-Porter-Flynn
Scott-McCormick-Tropp

Disagreed on Zadorov. Calling him not even remotely ready is way off. If he gets sent back it's so he can play big minutes and develop even more, but he's been very good in his time up here and quite frankly in nearly any other year he would have played his way onto the roster.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
With MDZ rumored to be on the outs in New York, I wonder if LaFontaine kicks the tires there. He's young (23) but has a boatload of experience, having played 266 games in the NHL (not to mention 32 others that came in the playoffs).

They Sabres' cupboard is stocked on the back end, but considering this regime probably isn't married to any players/prospects, I wonder if something could be done?

Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing this, as I'm no Del Zotto fan, but I think it's worth the discussion.

Heck, there's no way he could be worse than the tire fire McBain. Depending on what they'd want back for him, I'd think about it.
McNabb+picks (a second and a third?) for MDZ? I've barely been keeping up with the sabres this year, let alone other teams, so I have no clue if that's fair value

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With the talk that Bergevin and Gillis are both shopping for a top 6 winger, I wonder if they've called Buffalo looking for pricing on Stafford?

As for MDZ.... he's a clear upgrade on McBain -- Jason Woolley coming down from the alumni room after the buffet is probably an upgrade on McBain -- but is he worth the cost to acquire?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
No complaints from me regarding McBain at the moment. No minus games in the last 8.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Disagreed on Zadorov. Calling him not even remotely ready is way off. If he gets sent back it's so he can play big minutes and develop even more, but he's been very good in his time up here and quite frankly in nearly any other year he would have played his way onto the roster.

Agreed.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Adam up possibly Kaleta, Larsson down possibly Girgensons. Would be my guess.

I dont care much either way, but I would like to hear an argument for them going down. Other than the standard 'let them develop'.

Specifically, what will they develop / learn in the AHL that they dont do know, or wont learn properly at this level.

Not a fan of doing something just because it is the traditional norm.

Every player is unique, as is each team/player situation. The general idea that 18/19/20 year olds 'belong' in juniors / AHL to develop, IMO, should never be applied blindly and without genuine thought into individual player development.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
He has earned his spot, but do we want him logging bottom pair minutes, or do we want him playing first line minutes?
He still is a first round pick with offensive talent and i don't want to write him into a bottom 6 position off the bat.

Just IMO,

In the case of a player like Zemgus, who thrives on being challenged and pushed, I would rather him play 14 min against men and superior talent, than playing 18 min against kids and inferior talent. This kid just gobbles up being challenged.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
I'd like to see Adam and McNabb get some time with the Sabres based on their AHL seasons so far. They've earned it. I think they're both 22 years old and have put plenty of time in down in Rochester. I'd like to see Zadorov and Grigorenko back in juniors for one more season, and Risto logging top minutes in the Ahl for a couple of months at least. If they're not going to play Larsson in Buffalo, let him play in Rochester. I'm fine with wherever they decide to play Girgensons -- Buffalo or Rochester. Let the kids develop.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
IIRC, everyone ahead of Quebec in the standings has their two import slots filled already -- that's BLB, Halifax, BAC, Gatineau and Rimouski -- so idk that it'd be a current contender swinging a move for him. I think it's more likely to be a middling team; ie. Cape Breton's only using one import slot and that's for a Russian in Lazarev, as are Moncton with Barbashev.

Playing Grigorenko alongside Barbashev might spark some chemistry. If it looks good we might take him with the Islanders pick. Flip for Yakupov and our new French Connection are the rushin' Russians. (a man can dream... )

It's pretty clear that Zadorov should be sent down; he'll play well either in Buffalo or London but Buffalo doesn't need him yet. Risto should probably spend some time putting up big minutes in Rochester for awhile. There's no need to keep him up for 82 games when there are other players on the cusp too.

Adam, and McNabb should get a reward for playing well so far in Rochester. While I don't think Adam is really an NHLer at heart, giving him another shot isn't harmful in a rebuilding season. Hopefully McNabb has stepped up his D game since the preseason ... I remember being distinctively unimpressed. I think Ruhwedel is far more ready for a role with the Sabres than McNabb.

I'm not a big fan of Sulzer but as it is Rochester has way too many vets to play. I don't know what to do with him but I don't really see him as a Sabre next year. He's useful as veteran filler while the young guys grow with the Amerks but I'd rather see him traded.

Girgensons has earned his spot. I want Larsson to stay up as well but I think he'll see more time perfecting his game in the AHL. It's too bad that he's not the one who could really use the time in Roch.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Translated, more or less: Grigorenko is expected to be returned to Quebec in the next few days.
There it is

Translated from French by Bing
Translator

Just cross a good source which confirms that Mikhail Grigorenko should return in the #LHJMQ within the next days! #Remparts

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Good, has his best two pro games, and then gets scratched by the new coach, who won't give him a chance either.

If he pans out at this point, it's a bonus. I expect him to go back to Russia where he won't have to deal with this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad