Speculation: Roster Speculation 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Callahan is their heart and soul. I don't see a scenario where they don't get him re-signed.

Chris Drury got traded twice and let go in free agency once.

Rod Brind'Amour went from Philly to Carolina.

Mike Richards was a heart and soul player for Philly.

It happens.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Chris Drury got traded twice and let go in free agency once.

Rod Brind'Amour went from Philly to Carolina.

Mike Richards was a heart and soul player for Philly.

It happens.

Doesn't make it any less likely that he probably re-signs in New York. That he's even being mentioned in trade proposals is likely little more than typical overreaction after a rough 5 games.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Seeing as we are clearly going nowhere fast anyone jumping back aboard the bring in Malholtra as a vet presence train? Porter shouldnt stick, Girgs should go back down, kaleta is gonna be suspended, vanek/stafford/ennis could all be traded at any time...worst case scneario he helps mentor grigs and hodgson on how to win a draw...not like we can tank anymore...maybe he plays out of his mind and has value at the deadline...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Doesn't make it any less likely that he probably re-signs in New York. That he's even being mentioned in trade proposals is likely little more than typical overreaction after a rough 5 games.

He was mentioned in context of a Rangers' fire sale, which is over-reactionary.

A Vanek for Callahan trade isn't reactionary, unreasonable, or unrealistic. Maybe unlikely.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
With the team winless in seven, here's something you can read more into than you probably should... pro scouts in attendance for Monday's MIN-BUF game included: ANA, DAL, DET, EDM, LAK, NSH, PHI, PHX, PIT and WPG; in the next four weeks, BUF plays ANA, DAL and LAK, while MIN only plays NSH.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
With the team winless in seven, here's something you can read more into than you probably should... pro scouts in attendance for Monday's MIN-BUF game included: ANA, DAL, DET, EDM, LAK, NSH, PHI, PHX, PIT and WPG; in the next four weeks, BUF plays ANA, DAL and LAK, while MIN only plays NSH.

Buffalose sell-out on the horizon?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27151/in-need-of-goalie-help-bryzgalov-or-miller

Dallas Stars
The Stars have a new GM in Jim Nill, a new head coach in Lindy Ruff and early on look to be the same old up-and-down Stars team that has missed the playoffs five straight years. Worse, starting netminder Kari Lehtonen is once again dealing with a lower body injury that saw him moved to the injured reserve list on Monday. Backup Dan Ellis simply doesn’t provide the kind of insurance to weather a long absence by Lehtonen. And even if Lehtonen isn’t out long term, this time there is little to instill confidence that the netminder can stay healthy long enough to coax the Stars into the postseason. The Central Division is wide open after Chicago and St. Louis, but with Colorado off to its scorching start, it behooves the other playoff-hopeful squads -- Dallas, Nashville, Minnesota and Winnipeg -- to stay close, and staying close means getting goaltending. Would the Stars be interested in Miller, who can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season? Hard to imagine with Lehtonen inked through 2017-18 and a no-trade clause through the end of next season. But it’s also hard to imagine the Stars staying in the hunt if their current goaltending situation remains status quo.

Could Dallas be a landing spot for Miller?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Sabres don't need another goalie in the pipeline.

If Chiasson isn't available, then Ritchie or Guptill & 2nd would work, too.

I just don't see Nill giving up guys like Ritchie or Chiasson for a goaltender when they already have one as good as Miller, albeit one who is oft-injured.

I still want to see Miller in St. Louis. Halak shouldn't be trusted. I think Miller would re-sign with a midwestern team like St. Louis, as well, and the Blues should be contenders for several years to come. I hope Armstrong panics and offers one of Jaskin or Rattie for Miller. (I would even add something small to Miller to get one of those guys.)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just don't see Nill giving up guys like Ritchie or Chiasson for a goaltender when they already have one as good as Miller, albeit one who is oft-injured.

I still want to see Miller in St. Louis. Halak shouldn't be trusted. I think Miller would re-sign with a midwestern team like St. Louis, as well, and the Blues should be contenders for several years to come. I hope Armstrong panics and offers one of Jaskin or Rattie for Miller. (I would even add something small to Miller to get one of those guys.)

There are several factors at play, to me.

Does the Dallas ownership want results this season?
Can Lehtonen stay healthy?
Does Lindy stump for Miller as a rental if Lehtonen isn't healthy?

Dallas doesn't make as much sense as teams like Edmonton, St Louis, the Islanders, etc., but it wouldn't surprise me too much if Lehtonen isn't healthy and they go after him.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So this thread is mostly a trading thread now but I figured this was the best place to post this.

If they do the right thing and Ristolainen finishes the year in the AHL and Zadorov gets sent back to London after his cup of coffee who do we call up? Ruhwedel, Sulzer or McNabb.

As someone who watched McNabb a lot in Kootenay I feel like the fans and even organizational expectations of him are backwards. He's always been terrible defensively but fairly great offensively. He was a pylon in junior and will be a pylon in the AHL and NHL. He will never be a guy you put out in a key situation defensively. But he is a guy who can hit like a truck and score a boatload of goals/points if put in the right situations. He has more in common with James Wisniewski than with Adam McQuaid which is the type of player fans seem to want him to be.

I'd like to see him be utilized in an offensive defensemen role similar to what McBain should be seeing. Very easy assignments defensively and be put in situations where he can put up some points.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So this thread is mostly a trading thread now but I figured this was the best place to post this.

If they do the right thing and Ristolainen finishes the year in the AHL and Zadorov gets sent back to London after his cup of coffee who do we call up? Ruhwedel, Sulzer or McNabb.

As someone who watched McNabb a lot in Kootenay I feel like the fans and even organizational expectations of him are backwards. He's always been terrible defensively but fairly great offensively. He was a pylon in junior and will be a pylon in the AHL and NHL. He will never be a guy you put out in a key situation defensively. But he is a guy who can hit like a truck and score a boatload of goals/points if put in the right situations. He has more in common with James Wisniewski than with Adam McQuaid which is the type of player fans seem to want him to be.

I'd like to see him be utilized in an offensive defensemen role similar to what McBain should be seeing. Very easy assignments defensively and be put in situations where he can put up some points.

If they call up someone to be a true #7 guy, then I think Sulzer is the recall -- let Ruh and McNabb play.

If they call up someone to be a guy that will be in some sort of rotation with McBain and Weber.......then it's whoever is playing better and has earned the callup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad