Speculation: Roster Speculation 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I don't have any huge problem with Ennis (though I agree he needs to learn to keep it simple), but a guy like O'Reilly is WAY more valuable. A 22 year old all-situations center with a 55 point season already under his belt is significantly more valuable than a small 23 year old winger with a career high of 49 points who doesn't kill penalties. I would love to see O'Reilly on this team, though I see no way that Colorado lets him go for anything short of an extreme overpayment.

What do we think Ennis needs to play with to be most successful? I always like him with Foligno because I think Ennis simplifies his game when he plays with him. I wouldn't mind seeing an Ennis-Larsson-Foligno line at some point, if Larsson ever really gets his chance in the top nine.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Porter, McCormick, and Scott for Hertl

Buffalo gets dynamic goal-scoring talent, Sharks get a line they can rely on to to dominate the opposition

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Porter, McCormick, and Scott for Hertl

Buffalo gets dynamic goal-scoring talent, Sharks get a line they can rely on to to dominate the opposition

How about Grigorenko for Hertl?
Not sure Hertl would thrive on this team currently.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl9ssFJnGrQ

Not sure if the link will work but it's the only goal of the Sens game. Yes, we blame Myers backing up but Ennis is the forward who was there and should have applied the pressure...yes, that's him NOT applying any pressure along the boards to allow the forward to make a pin-point pass to Karlson.

Good defensively???? You've got to be kidding. The guy looses every puck battle, looses the puck carrying it, tries to be a one man show, etc. He has skills but tries to do way too much. He's a luxury wing on a good team, on ours he's another so-so player.

He needs to be put on the wing, and kept there. Him as a center is a joke.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl9ssFJnGrQ

Not sure if the link will work but it's the only goal of the Sens game. Yes, we blame Myers backing up but Ennis is the forward who was there and should have applied the pressure...yes, that's him NOT applying any pressure along the boards to allow the forward to make a pin-point pass to Karlson.

Good defensively???? You've got to be kidding. The guy looses every puck battle, looses the puck carrying it, tries to be a one man show, etc. He has skills but tries to do way too much. He's a luxury wing on a good team, on ours he's another so-so player.

He needs to be put on the wing, and kept there. Him as a center is a joke.

He's in no position to be leading the forwards in ice time in a given game. That's a certainty to me.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's in no position to be leading the forwards in ice time in a given game. That's a certainty to me.

Yep. I don't have an issue with Ennis per se.....but he's NOT the best forward on the roster.

As an aside -- how many more games do we go until Kevin Porter actually leads the forwards in TOI? 1? 2?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If you spend 75% of the game in your own zone, how much good does it do to be great in the other zone? Wasted talent on this team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If you spend 75% of the game in your own zone, how much good does it do to be great in the other zone? Wasted talent on this team.

Hyperbole. Vanek being a good offensive player makes us more able to maintain the puck in the offensive zone than without him, and more likely to put the puck in the net. The only players who come even close to what he brings offensively are worse, similar, or only marginally better defensively. So again, who comes close to him in terms of being the best forward? Don't say Ennis.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hyperbole. Vanek being a good offensive player makes us more able to maintain the puck in the offensive zone than without him, and more likely to put the puck in the net. The only players who come even close to what he brings offensively are worse, similar, or only marginally better defensively. So again, who comes close to him in terms of being the best forward? Don't say Ennis.

He's so much better than everyone else on offense and offense is what this team needs. He's the best forward. Who comes close?

This team needs to commit themselves to keeping the puck out of our own net, and reducing scoring chances against.

Offense comes as a result.

Calling Vanek the team's best forward after watching the first 4 games borders on insanity. I'm with stokes.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
On 1/3rd of the ice, he is by a mile. In the other 2/3rds, he's completely useless.

Vanek is far and away our best forward right now. It's actually laughable that you call him useless in 2/3 rd's of the ice right after you praise Tyler Ennis' two way game. Sometimes I wonder what games you're watching.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Vanek is far and away our best forward right now. It's actually laughable that you call him useless in 2/3 rd's of the ice right after you praise Tyler Ennis' two way game. Sometimes I wonder what games you're watching.

Seriously? Vanek's play in the neutral zone is despicably non-existent. His stick isn't even active, which is a MUST for a guy who doesn't play the body in open ice.

Being our best forward far and away right now, when we average a goal a game, is no flattering praise.

We're all watching the same hockey games. Crazy how people can be on such polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

People disagree with everything Stokes says because of some past ....blunders... but when he's right, he should be acknowledged as such. He's right. Vanek's play OVERALL, to me, leaves a lot to be desired. And his play in the neutral and defensive zones are not good right now.

edit: can't agree with calling Vanek "useless," though I'm left desiring a lot more

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Seriously? Vanek's play in the neutral zone is despicably non-existent. His stick isn't even active, which is a MUST for a guy who doesn't play the body in open ice.

Being our best forward far and away right now, when we average a goal a game, is no flattering praise.

We're all watching the same hockey games. Crazy how people can be on such polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

People disagree with everything Stokes says because of some past ....blunders... but when he's right, he should be acknowledged as such. He's right. Vanek's play OVERALL, to me, leaves a lot to be desired. And his play in the neutral and defensive zones are not good right now.

edit: can't agree with calling Vanek "useless," though I'm left desiring a lot more

I don't disagree that Vanek is not very good in 2 of 3 zones. Nor do I think it's some great feat being the best forward on this $hitty team. I just don't see this great defensive player he sees in Ennis, never have.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

There's a difference between calling out vanek's flaws (something some of us have been doing for years)... And instead attempting to leverage that reality into something that supports the insane notion that Ennis is the best all around forward on the team (while simultaneously ignoring the similar scenario specific zone deficiencies).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->